20 yr old drugged up HGV driver closed the M65 the other day

DickyNick:

albion:

alamcculloch:
Will the man who took a chance on the young driver take a chance on another new pass?

Probably not. In his shoes, I wouldn’t because although yes it can happen to a driver whatever age, mistakes and drug taking, it will naturally be in the back of your mind. However, experience counts for a lot in any job, and at 20 you have very little experience.

The reason young drivers are more expensive to insure is the fact that they are more likely to have an accident. I’ve taken on three under 25s, but would I have 100% under 25s? No chance. The younger ones learn a lot from crewing with the older drivers.

This is getting off topic. This crash was still zero to do with age or inexperience.

Threads do wander, I think personally the discussion is still on topic. Wether age was a factor, none of us actually know and I doubt if an answer will arise from the investigation. Experience still counts though.

Back to my champagne now.

We know the driver wasn’t on the planet, age isn’t the problem, why do I say this, because in 1939 all the way to 1945, with 9hours experience, 19year olds were given a spitfire or a hurricane, and every flight they survived,was experience,you gain experience by doing the job,and listening to older and wiser chaps.

I am not against young folk getting a start. This young guy in particular has screwed it up for others. A while ago there were complaints about the Royal Households only employing white people , So an Ethnic had to be given a job ,he stole and was dismissed he did not help the cause. I have my tin hat on.

Naff all to do with age,the fools iv come across taking drugs at work were all in there 30s 40s and even 50s…
Iv dabbled myvself when young and I bumped in to 2 blokes I used to knock around with when we were 18-21 they never touched drugs but now they are early 40s and shovelling cocaine up their noses all the time,their justification■■? “Well everyone’s at it,it’s fashionable”
Pathetic to see fellas that age off their faces,

you only need to go back to the late 80’s and 90’s and you would find a lot (and i mean a lot) of drivers taking all sorts of stuff too keep awake too do the marathon shifts that was being done at the time.

scotstrucker:
you only need to go back to the late 80’s and 90’s and you would find a lot (and i mean a lot) of drivers taking all sorts of stuff too keep awake too do the marathon shifts that was being done at the time.

Afraid this is true, we all knew drivers who was pill popping to keep going round the clock. But knowing the lads round my area, it now seems common practice to smoke dope or shove something up their noses then think its ok to drive. We need young blood in this industry because we need the next generation to be able to take over when people like me retire. But I do hope drugs become unfashionable, because I dread to think what the roads will be like with hgv drivers on the road either stoned or as high as a kite.

William Aldridge RIP

mattecube:
William Aldridge RIP

Who’s that then?

William Aldridge was an English nonconformist minister.
Born: 1737, Warminster
Died: 28 February 1797

Silly child taking drugs then driving but hope he won’t do that again & has learnt his lesson ( nope never taken drugs or drank & drove )

Maybe the simple answer is for VOSA to add a requirement to see random drug / alchohol testing results from all the drivers if they do an audit.

I don’t much like the idea as it suggests we’re all likely to be drunk / under the influence, but if its as prelevant as suggested here then it could remove a lot of people who shouldnt ever have a licence of all ages.

Only ever been tested once and that was everyone in company (not sure if they had a tip off) and yes another thread showed the problems with some tests, but there are obviously total brainless ■■■■■ out there making the roads dangerous for all of us from cars to trucks.

If he was on drugs, hopefully they will throw the book at him for attempting to kill a lot of people and chop his bits off so the ■■■■ cant breed.

(Is alamcculloch’s tin hat big enough for two of us?)

I don’t mind sharing the tin hat with members who talk sense. As an aside some new buses are fitted with alco_locks you have to breathe down the tube and if you are clear it will start.

Why not test for drink and drugs for all new starters, also make it known that testing will take place after any accident or incident.

Its not cheap but then neither is recovery and damaged trucks, more similar incidents will likely result in this becoming compulsory for all who earn their living behind the wheel.

mike68:
Why not test for drink and drugs for all new starters, also make it known that testing will take place after any accident or incident.

Its not cheap but then neither is recovery and damaged trucks, more similar incidents will likely result in this becoming compulsory for all who earn their living behind the wheel.

Why just new starters?
The guy was 20…doesn’t mean he’s a new starter.
Also it’s standard procedure to be breathalised after an accident.
44 year old arrested for drug driving…
google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pete … 393410/amp
47 year old arrested for drug driving…
shropshirestar.com/news/cri … rug-limit/
40 year old arrested for drug driving…
google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dail … 32299.amp/

How about we don’t panic over one driver crashing a truck, without injuring anyone?

Talk of drink and drug testing, banning young drivers blah blah blah. When did you oldies get so scared of everyday life?!?!

You all talk with rose tinted specs of the variety of ■■■■ that you lot got up to in your youth, but there are some dramatically twisted knickers about a youth being stupid here.

I’m definitely not defending the driver, but I am defending sanity - FFS we don’t need more and more government control over every aspect of our lives.

animal:
William Aldridge was an English nonconformist minister.
Born: 1737, Warminster
Died: 28 February 1797

More importantly youngest he was an 18 year old British Soldier killed in Afghanistan.

xichrisxi:

mike68:

Why just new starters?
The guy was 20…doesn’t mean he’s a new starter.
Also it’s standard procedure to be breathalised after an accident.
44 year old arrested for drug driving…
google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pete … 393410/amp
47 year old arrested for drug driving…
shropshirestar.com/news/cri … rug-limit/
40 year old arrested for drug driving…

Age really makes no difference if the driver in the OP was using then a test before an offer of employment for all new drivers would seem prudent, most big companies test on day 1, a breath test for alcohol does not indicate recreational drug use

If a system of testing is in place then this would act as a deterrent if you know there is a test on interview day and a test if you have an accident then this would reduce the likelihood of recreational drug use.

If it meant preventing death and serious injury I would support the DVSA turning up and random testing.

Just because the person failed a drug test it doesn’t mean there driving was impaired.
They way drug tests work is they test for traces that are still visible way after any impairment and also show up some prescription drugs

If age was anything to do with it and age makes you a safer driver then why this afternoon did I have an old bloke in an artic 2ft away from my car through a temporary road works 30mph limit? (He was given a piece of my mind the ■■■■■■■ If age makes you a better and safer driver then why did I also have a middle aged tipper driver 2ft away in the same place a few months ago?

Someone answer me that then if age makes you a safer driver because I wouldn’t call that safe.

I wonder when a truck goes into the back of another one on the M6 shutting it for hours whether it was a young driver every time? I suspect not.

DickyNick:
If age was anything to do with it and age makes you a safer driver then why this afternoon did I have an old bloke in an artic 2ft away from my car through a temporary road works 30mph limit? (He was given a piece of my mind the [zb]) If age makes you a better and safer driver then why did I also have a middle aged tipper driver 2ft away in the same place a few months ago?

Someone answer me that then if age makes you a safer driver because I wouldn’t call that safe.

I wonder when a truck goes into the back of another one on the M6 shutting it for hours whether it was a young driver every time? I suspect not.

You are quite correct, age has nothing to do with making you a safer driver. Only thing being some younger drivers tend to have less fear and take more chances where as some older drivers tend to make their mistakes through complacency and ignorance. All depends on an individuals attitude and unfortunately these days few seem to have a professional attitude when it comes to driving.
Same old story though, good and bad amongst both.