20 yr old drugged up HGV driver closed the M65 the other day

DickyNick:
If age was anything to do with it and age makes you a safer driver then why this afternoon did I have an old bloke in an artic 2ft away from my car through a temporary road works 30mph limit? (He was given a piece of my mind the [zb]) If age makes you a better and safer driver then why did I also have a middle aged tipper driver 2ft away in the same place a few months ago?

Someone answer me that then if age makes you a safer driver because I wouldn’t call that safe.

I wonder when a truck goes into the back of another one on the M6 shutting it for hours whether it was a young driver every time? I suspect not.

Also remember that objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are just saying

How do you know they were 2ft away they may have been further

animal:

DickyNick:
If age was anything to do with it and age makes you a safer driver then why this afternoon did I have an old bloke in an artic 2ft away from my car through a temporary road works 30mph limit? (He was given a piece of my mind the [zb]) If age makes you a better and safer driver then why did I also have a middle aged tipper driver 2ft away in the same place a few months ago?

Someone answer me that then if age makes you a safer driver because I wouldn’t call that safe.

I wonder when a truck goes into the back of another one on the M6 shutting it for hours whether it was a young driver every time? I suspect not.

Also remember that objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are just saying

Sorry for jumping in but I think most decent drivers know when a vehicle is too close and it’s far too common these days.

jakethesnake:

animal:

DickyNick:

Sorry for jumping in but I think most decent drivers know when a vehicle is too close and it’s far too common these days.

Exactly. I didn’t measure it with a tape measure. After 16 years of driving I know when an artic is too close to stop and would flatten my car and kids in the back if I had to stop suddenly. And I repeat, this wasn’t a young driver. I’d guess 50s. I reckon statistically it’s not actually the young drivers that have the big crashes. Young drivers will do things like knock a mirror off, swing the back of the trailer into a car, knock a bollard down, hit a barrier when revering, scrape the side of a unit when reversing etc. When you actually look at drivers driving too close and generally driving like bell ends it quite often is an older guy behind the wheel full of “experience” thinking because nothing has gone wrong yet it never will.

animal:

See it every day in roadworks, trucks in lane 2 up the arse of the vehicle in front trying to bully their way through, totally dangerous and irresponsible. No doubt some will come and whinge about cars going too slow or hogging the middle lane but still no excuse for some of the appalling driving seen every day.

an older guy behind the wheel full of “experience” thinking because nothing has gone wrong yet it never will.

Exactly right.

wrighty1:

animal:

See it every day in roadworks, trucks in lane 2 up the arse of the vehicle in front trying to bully their way through, totally dangerous and irresponsible. No doubt some will come and whinge about cars going too slow or hogging the middle lane but still no excuse for some of the appalling driving seen every day.

And they will all be young drivers… or so the insurance companies and haulage bosses will have you think as young drivers with no experience are more likely to crash? I’d say the ones referred to here are more likely to crash…and kill someone while they at it.

Cars lane hogging seem to make a lot of drivers think it gives them an exemption to then drive dangerously rather than just accept it’s all part of driving and it the scheme of the whole day it’s going to cost 2 or 3 minutes at the most.

When I used to drive for Dentressangle powder tankers it was a condition of employment that you could be required to be alcohol/drug tested at any depot at any time for any reason.

kr79:
Just because the person failed a drug test it doesn’t mean there driving was impaired.
They way drug tests work is they test for traces that are still visible way after any impairment and also show up some prescription drugs

Also some ‘over the counter medications’ such as analgesics containing codine and cold tablets with pseudo ephedrine, will give a fail.
Here, random drug and alcohol testing is commonplace and mobs such as my employer require all drivers to do an alcohol test before starting work.
For a long time, in this country, truck drivers had a reputation for using drugs to cover vast distances. Once drug testing became available this myth was busted. Car drivers were eight times more likely to be drug affected than truck drivers.
The drugs that were usually found in truck drivers’ systems were recreational, not stay awake crap.
In my experience, if a truck driver is on drugs, it’s because the chose that path, not because they needed to, to do the job.

animal:

DickyNick:

I would say if you can’t see a full outline of the front of the truck, that is wheels roof & mirrors, they are to close. Would you agree with that definition? If not how would you judge to close?

Wiretwister:

animal:

DickyNick:

I would say if you can’t see a full outline of the front of the truck, that is wheels roof & mirrors, they are to close. Would you agree with that definition? If not how would you judge to close?

Sorry, jumping in again. :blush: I would think if you can only see the full outline of the truck behind then it is far too close. Far to many don’t seem to know what a safe distance is. :unamused:
THEY think it is safe, but in reality it’s far from safe if something goes wrong. Spoken to many like this, just totally unaware.

DickyNick:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
if you dont like someone following you too close,then why dont you either wake up and welly it like everyone else,or get in out the road and let others crack on.
i used to have a similar problem some years ago when out having fun on my bike.
anytime i was doing 20 or 30 mph over the speed limit i sometimes heard sirens or saw flashing blue lights in my mirrors.
as soon as i dropped 2 gears and revved it to about 12500,then they faded away and would eventually vanish.
dont dawdle,or move over…no tailgaters.

I used to…

Get all riled up and angry at tailgaters. Over the years and miles I’ve learned to just ignore them.

The way I see it, if you wanna smash into my very solid loaded fridge trailer which provides me with metres of protection and subject yourself to possible leg, pelvis, sternum crush injuries… go ahead… knock yerselves out.

Lets face it, you need to be out of your mind to do this job :smiley:

Wiretwister:

animal:

DickyNick:

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule ( in bad weather only a fool breaks the 5 second rule

Has it been confirmed this lad is a raging baghead?
Or is it just gossip ? Has he been charged?

halewood:
Has it been confirmed this lad is a raging baghead?
Or is it just gossip ? Has he been charged?

A 20-YEAR-OLD arrested on suspicion of drug-driving following an incident which saw an articulated lorry driven the wrong way up the M65 has been summonsed to appear in court, police have campaigned.

Officers have not released the name of the man and it has not been confirmed which court he will appear at or on which date.

lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n … f=mr&lp=10

Wonder why the name has not been released.

SuperMultiBlue:

Look at what happened after the names of two suspects were released after Gatwick drone incident.
Two totally innocent people having their privacy invaded by news hounds .

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

SuperMultiBlue:

Suspicion does not equal guilty

With a drugs thing it would have to be confirmed with a blood test before any charge made as roadside test is only an indication