Is hgv driving addictive

Drivers of hgv’s found it difficult to leave the industry,we moan about the job and some times call it a day and try something else, but we all come back to it saying how hard it is to settle in to something else ,working inside being watched allday,and watching the clock till home time.

Short answer to the question? YES

Think after 45 years on the road, with a few short breaks watching the clock, I am qualified to give the above opinion. :sunglasses:

MrJake:
Short answer to the question? YES

Think after 45 years on the road, with a few short breaks watching the clock, I am qualified to give the above opinion. :sunglasses:

28 yrs and 3 owned trucks and I agree…miss it like hell now the doctors have nicked my licence.

The trouble is that after some considerable length of time behind the wheel, you don’t know enough about any other business.

Fifty years at it, give or take the odd year spent on the farm (cr*p pay) and another on nightshift in a factory (get me out of here before I go completely in-bloody-sane).

Well Im still doing a little bit now & then , But Im defo giving it up next year, Im not doing this DCPC Lark, Anyway the haulage industry as it is to-day dosent want blokes like me from the old school that can get from A to B without the SATNAV & some crazy traffic planner that probabley couldn’t even drive a wagon telling you not only to do it but telling you how to do it & how long it would take, Its not for me, Regards Larry.

Nor me, Larry. I’m glad I’m driving a fork & spade on th’allotment these days. Cr*p pay but the hours and the boss are fantastic!

I miss it I’ve been a Shunter now for the past 10 years it’s all site work no driving on the Queens highway that’s why I’ve gone into the restoration game so I can drive my old girl when I like

This is my latest Tug

But you’ve got the lights plugged in, Gaz. Surely you can’t be a PROPER shunter with lights plugged in? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yes retired old ■■■■ I’m a proper driver I always make sure everything works cos there’s nothing worse than an early start and you’ve got light trouble if it ain’t working it doesn’t get loaded I look after my lads

I Think it varies from person to person.After almost 40yrs of driving everywhere from Europé,M.E,U.S.S.R,and North America i would be happy not to see a truck again.I Think that when i started at the beginning of the 70s it was more of an adventure.We felt more alive as you were expected to Think for yourself,repair things,get yourself out of problems,plus the added bonus of going to strange exotic places that,quite often,few normal people had been to.Driving infringements,general problems and to a degree repairs seemed easier to deal with.Life seemed simpler.The last years have been increasingly more '‘politically correct’ and it seems ‘‘overcomplicated’’ to do what is basically an easy job which requires more common sense than academic qualifications.It now seems that as soon as you step in a truck you are considered a criminal and at any moment have the possibility to be relieved of a weeks wages for doing something about which you had no knowledge beforehand.For me the ‘‘fun’’ has gone,now it’s just a way to earn Money to enjoy my ‘‘free time’’.Mike

I started work in 1968 as what was called a HGV fitter, left in 1974, and went on to be a car mechanic. Started my own business in 1980, but took my class 1 just before, as a back up. Early days did a few years driving nights, lime to the sugar factories in the season. Not done much for the last few years, even though my son (Derbyshire Foden) runs a bulk tipper. Being stuck in a garage all day is OK, but still miss the freedom of the open road, especially at night. I have my drivers CPC, hope it will come in usefull :laughing:

gazsa401:
Yes retired old ■■■■ I’m a proper driver I always make sure everything works cos there’s nothing worse than an early start and you’ve got light trouble if it ain’t working it doesn’t get loaded I look after my lads

as a shunter you’re one in a million Gaz,and we need you at our depot NOW! :smiley: stuck in the yard friday morning nearly 2 hours with trailer lights trouble :angry: nice 401 btw…my first proper truck was a 400 :sunglasses:

Thanks Carryfast if I ever need a new job I’ll let you know

No, it’s not addictive. I did 49 years (enjoyed it, best job in the world) but I retired and I’ve no desire to go back. No slow wind down, one day I was galloping down the highway, next day I’d retired. :smiley:
Live for the day, and the days that are left…are all mine. :smiley:

After leaving the army in the late '60’s, I spent 6 years tramping in the UK,then 12 years m/e before I thought I’d had enough.
Then spent 18 years in engineering but kept up my licence,just in case.
Retired early at 60,that was 10 years ago,and as working on here has got to be the easiest job ever,been doing two night trunks a week all that time and as long as I keep passing the medical,I’ll keep at it.

I believe that after you’ve been doing this job for a while you find that working in close proximity to other people is very hard , I dont mean in a loner type of fashion , just that you have to consider things like workplace politics and cliques e.t.c. which you dont have to do when your driving , and it can be hard not to find your stepping on peoples toes when you cant put up with their crap :laughing: . also the last few years before you give it up you should spend some time getting to know your missus/ partner , iv’e known a few people after giving up end up thinking " I dont know if I like this person " :slight_smile:

Retired Old ■■■■:
But you’ve got the lights plugged in, Gaz. Surely you can’t be a PROPER shunter with lights plugged in? :wink: :wink: :wink:

bet you’ve got all the airlines connected as well :laughing:

Yup there all connected

Retired Old ■■■■:

On our new double deckers,the shunters have to plug in the electrical suzies when they move them,some sort of interlock I believe.
Also,when the red brake line is removed,the brake button pops out automatically.Useful that,so that when you’ve coupled up,you still ahve to push in the red button.