What do you look for when doing dcpc?

I was wondering what drivers look for when picking a training company…

1. Price
  2. Flexibility
  3. Reputation
  4. How you can pay

Anything else anyone can think of… :question:

Are you referring to initial or periodic driver cpc?

Cheapest. It’s just a Mickey Mouse qualification anyway, there’s no point in paying any more than the bare minimum for it.

thats the best company to use DCPC…WE SAW YOU COMING.

A Price/Location combination (For those paying for themselves)
(No point paying only £20 course fee if you have to travel over 100 miles.)

Content irrelevant - it’s 35 hours that count on this poorly supervised training.

Flexibility not required - You’ve either got a course or you ain’t.

Reputation may be relevant if too many negative reports are seen/heard.

When I return to England to do mine in the future I’ll be looking for the quietest classroom environment that ideally will provide a comfortable chair or perhaps a reclining seat. I’ll bring my own ear plugs and pillow. Not really interested in being taught to tie my shoe laces again or which end of the egg is best to ■■■■ on.

Make sure you go to a registered company who actually get the qualification put on your record. heard of some places that offer the training but it doesn’t go on your record.

Somewhere to sleep, where I’ll not be asked to take notes/go into groups for a pointless time filling exercise and one where there are no introductions. We all know the intro’ is to waste time so don’t pretend it’s not.
I’m now awaiting the lady on here who is a DCPC trainer who will bombard us with why the DCPC is a good thing…

I’ll be using the same school I got my C+E with, so I’ll not be gambling with the fly by night firms setting up to seperate the unwary of their cash! :slight_smile:

The one that will put down your attendance for cash in hand.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Don’t worry I am not going to bombard you with why the DCPC is a good thing. I was just carrying out some research on opinions. There is massive resistance to DCPC and I have talked to loads of drivers who say they are not going to do it at any point. At the end of the day, it is their choice whether to do it or not.

Out of interest what did you actually learn on your cpc? I’ve only done one module about safe loading. Lots of vids about the consequences of not loading safely, but we didn’t get taught one thing about HOW to load safely. Roping and sheeting was mentioned, and using pallets or load bars to steady loads, but after telling us that certain loads should be roped down, they didn’t actually show us HOW to rope it down.

Useless expensive waste of a day in my experience. I know that loads should be secure and most of it is common sense, but did they show us how to secure loads? No.

Ched:
Out of interest what did you actually learn on your cpc? I’ve only done one module about safe loading. Lots of vids about the consequences of not loading safely, but we didn’t get taught one thing about HOW to load safely. Roping and sheeting was mentioned, and using pallets or load bars to steady loads, but after telling us that certain loads should be roped down, they didn’t actually show us HOW to rope it down.

Useless expensive waste of a day in my experience. I know that loads should be secure and most of it is common sense, but did they show us how to secure loads? No.

Paper based qualifications are all that matter driver. The educational gravy train is why we are on a daily basis preached to and patronised by those who have the paperwork but not the experience or practical ability to do what they are telling us to do. Britain has lost the vast majority of its meaningful industry but we still have tens of millions of people who need to be employed, hence why the government and all of its off shoots get bigger and bigger so that they can regulate, police and bleed dry those of us who remain employed in the private commercial sector. If it were not for the cpc, thousands of training providers would otherwise be on the dole, tens of thousands of vosa, bag etc would have less of a reason to exist in a few years time and Brussels wouldn’t be seen as being pro-active to cure a problem that doesn’t really exist in the first place. In short, the transport industry is the life support machine for countless redundant hangers on. It wont end here though, we as an industry, Europe wide are running more legal than ever before thanks to things such as the digital tacho and draconican fines for the smallest of offences. This is bad news for the before mentioned hangers on, they can’t justify their existence at our expense if we’re actually running legal and they dont have the paperwork to demonstrate that they are necesary to protect the public at large from the juggernaut menace.

ugt:
I was wondering what drivers look for when picking a training company…

1. Price
  2. Flexibility
  3. Reputation
  4. How you can pay

Anything else anyone can think of… :question:

Price and locality is all that matters, unless you’re doing something like ADR/Moffett ec’t you might as well go for the cheapest because anything you really want to learn is free on the Internet anyway.

Im going to quote more or less what robin hood 1984 has said…mature drivers with i should say 25 yrs + experience should get grandfather rights, i was taught to rope and sheet, pallets upto headboard on short loads etc…etc, common sense i think for ratchet straps and chains, unless your a driver thats only done one sort of job for donkeys yrs…like containers i cant see DCPC being of any use to mature drivers with a vast ammount of experience and as they say you cant buy experience…there will be those one man bands trying to jump on the bandwagon…WE SAW YOU COMING LTD. DCPC courses. young fellas coming into this job i can see it might have a benefit, but on top of the 4 grand there paying just to get into this trade its another bitter pill to swallow.

For me it will be price, I have to renew my ADR anyway so that will take a chunk out.

As I am paying price for me

I will stick my neck out here & say that the periodic dcpc has it use BUT not in the current format as most industries do have on going training

UGT.

How long have you been training and what is your background?

It is one of the first things I look at so is quite relevant.

Wheel Nut:
UGT.

Nearly 25 years driving including 17 years of heavy vehicle recovery and am still driving now as well as training. Been training almost 5 years.

ugt:

Wheel Nut:
UGT.

Nearly 25 years driving including 17 years of heavy vehicle recovery and am still driving now as well as training. Been training almost 5 years.

Are you training specifically for DQC?

I am asking because we have been having this JAUPT discussion and I completed a survey about it.

Have you started building your new home in Barbados yet? :wink: