Driver CPC

Hi Guys and Girls
Has anyone got any info or training materials relating to the CPC course we will all have to do?.
I am currently in the training industry and would like to explore training the cpc for myself and others.
I have been a Class one driver for 20 yrs but for the last few years I have been doing other things (needs must). I was working weekends for tms haulage but the gaffer retired last year decent bloke he was aswell. What I am trying to say is I would still like to keep my entitlement to drive if the chance or need ever occurs again. any positive information slides powerpoint or info in general would be great.

Kind Regards
Ricky :smiley:

ricky61:
Has anyone got any info or training materials relating to the CPC course we will all have to do?.

I assume you are referring the 35 hours of periodic driver cpc

There is not set of 35 hours but a probable pool of 1,000s of hours of which the driver can choose 35 of them

At present I would say that most dcpc approved trainers, who must work under the umbrella of an approved dcpc training establishment, are doing between 1 or 4 days of dcpc periodic training per month so not exactly a good steady job!!

I believe that most dcpc trainers do this very part time whilst working in another capacity with the same company

Still think it’s a good idea?

ricky61:
Hi Guys and Girls
I am currently in the training industry and would like to explore training the cpc for myself and others.

Hi ricky61,
I’m not sure how much you know, so I make no assumptions.
From what you wrote, am I correct in thinking that you’re under the impression that the DCPC is a fixed course in its own right?
If so, I’ll point out that a driver can choose any seven-hour approved course that takes their interest, then they simply select any four more of the available courses to make up the 35-hour training requirement as mentioned by ROG above.

Are you aware that you’d need JAUPT approvals for both your center and instructor(s) if you intend to offer DCPC courses?
I’d like to suggest that the JAUPT website might be your first port of call for your research and to provide you with some further info:
:arrow_right: http://www.drivercpc.org/en/

Regarding PowerPoint presentations, the two issues that I can see are of copyright and approval.
I have and use four completely separate ADR courses, which are all JAUPT (and SQA) approved, for either 7, 14, 21 or 28 DCPC hours, but you’d need to be able to show a paper-trail proving that you have permission (from the course writer) to use that course. A receipted invoice showing that you’d purchased the course and mentioning permission for using the course would meet the requirement.

I have written a (non-ADR) seven-hour course, which I’ve sold to two DCPC providers, and so takes their DCPC hours offering right up to the required 35-hours, but both had to get separate JAUPT approvals against their training center number before they could use it. Even if I simply gave it to a provider, they would still have to submit it to JAUPT for approval in order that they could use it.
I hope I’m wrong, but I honestly don’t think you’ll find anybody who would simply forward a .ppt presentation to you to use or even look at.

ricky61:
What I am trying to say is I would still like to keep my entitlement to drive if the chance or need ever occurs again. any positive information slides powerpoint or info in general would be great.

I think I understand where you’re coming from, because I was in a similar situation myself at one point in my life. Becoming a JAUPT approved DCPC provider isn’t cheap, and won’t make you any money if DCPC is going to be your only offering. I’ve taken my own advice, so I’m sticking to being a freelance instructor cos it’s relatively cheap, quite easy and carries very little risk.
I’m in the same boat as you, because I still have to find 35 DCPC hours before 2014 too, but the real travesty is that I’ve already taught more than 1,000 DCPC hours since it came out, and teaching it doesn’t count as ‘attendance’ even though I WAS there!! :open_mouth:

Hi Diesel Dave
Thanks for your information and response, I am a training manager who used to train young people on how to get into employment. And I was very good at it, but the company I work for was not successfull in wining the work programme.,(it was not about results it was political) I am qualified in learning and developement and advice and guidance, and was thinking about branching out so to speak. i have been around the haulage industry to know standards need improving for both the driver and employer, but looks like the poor driver is going to shaffted again. any info or links would be great.

kind Regards

Ricky :smiley:

dieseldave:

ricky61:
Hi Guys and Girls

Hi ricky61,
I’m not sure how much you know, so I make no assumptions.
From what you wrote, am I correct in thinking that you’re under the impression that the DCPC is a fixed course in its own right?
If so, I’ll point out that a driver can choose any seven-hour approved course that takes their interest, then they simply select any four more of the available courses to make up the 35-hour training requirement as mentioned by ROG above.

Are you aware that you’d need JAUPT approvals for both your center and instructor(s) if you intend to offer DCPC courses?
I’d like to suggest that the JAUPT website might be your first port of call for your research and to provide you with some further info:
:arrow_right: http://www.drivercpc.org/en/

Regarding PowerPoint presentations, the two issues that I can see are of copyright and approval.
I have and use four completely separate ADR courses, which are all JAUPT (and SQA) approved, for either 7, 14, 21 or 28 DCPC hours, but you’d need to be able to show a paper-trail proving that you have permission (from the course writer) to use that course. A receipted invoice showing that you’d purchased the course and mentioning permission for using the course would meet the requirement.

I have written a (non-ADR) seven-hour course, which I’ve sold to two DCPC providers, and so takes their DCPC hours offering right up to the required 35-hours, but both had to get separate JAUPT approvals against their training center number before they could use it. Even if I simply gave it to a provider, they would still have to submit it to JAUPT for approval in order that they could use it.
I hope I’m wrong, but I honestly don’t think you’ll find anybody who would simply forward a .ppt presentation to you to use or even look at.

ricky61:
What I am trying to say is I would still like to keep my entitlement to drive if the chance or need ever occurs again. any positive information slides powerpoint or info in general would be great.

I think I understand where you’re coming from, because I was in a similar situation myself at one point in my life. Becoming a JAUPT approved DCPC provider isn’t cheap, and won’t make you any money if DCPC is going to be your only offering. I’ve taken my own advice, so I’m sticking to being a freelance instructor cos it’s relatively cheap, quite easy and carries very little risk.
I’m in the same boat as you, because I still have to find 35 DCPC hours before 2014 too, but the real travesty is that I’ve already taught more than 1,000 DCPC hours since it came out, and teaching it doesn’t count as ‘attendance’ even though I WAS there!! :open_mouth:

i thought the SUBWAY SARNIES were first class,recommend them .pop into local subway,sure theyll do you a good price for your course :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: