Managed motorway section Newport

Approaching this section today just before j24 of M4 I noticed the 1st gantry flashing queuing traffic 40 even though motorway was dead as it was 04.40 am, next gantry changed from 40 up to national speed limit but a poor car driver got flashed even though he was barely doing 60 !! so what was that all about ?

Anyway the 3rd gantry was saying 60 and the 4th was saying 50 ffs. So the first 4 gantries were showing 40 70 60 50 what the hell is that all about at that time in the morning ?

Now on my return through the same section at approximately 07.00 when traffic was pretty busy all the gantries were obviously all turned off so I was wondering is it someone on nights having a laugh ?

I don’t like to moan but this section of motorway really gets my goat grrr.

Overnight road works finished early? or maybe the lights gone through a test sequence?

That’s one section i’m especially wary of and tend to descend the hill towards the tunnel (westbound) on the retarder in the correct gear and suitable speed to keep me well back from the vehicles in front, brakes unused, because you can guarantee that as soon as the left lane which leaves the motorway which was going faster starts bunching (same place every day), that a car or two will want to move from the right hand lane to the left lane, and a container wagon braking continually still in top gear trying to keep the wagon just off ‘overspeed’ trigger in the left lane will want to force over into the middle lane to go straight on and expect the road to miraculously clear for their convenience.

No road works about, no rain, mist or fog all perfect conditions, I go through there about once every week or two and quite often see 40 showing in the wee hours of the morning, even seen a 20 one time too believe it or not !!

I read an article a bit ago.
Some.smart motorways are setting a 50mph limit even when empty.
As.some.boffins reckon a car travelling at 50mph emits less pollution that a car doing 70mph.

So there regular being set at 50 to reduce pollution and is one way to help government reach there cleam air targets.

That’s the section by the tunnel :imp: even 50mph at 8:30 on a Sunday morning :imp: :imp: :imp:

edd1974:
As.some.boffins reckon a car travelling at 50mph emits less pollution that a car doing 70mph.

So there regular being set at 50 to reduce pollution and is one way to help government reach there cleam air targets.

Apparently they have sensors by the roadside that measure the air quality and automatically lowers limit when it is poor.
Surely they should raise the limits so you can put your foot down and get out of there and into some clean countryside air :laughing:

It’s ok though as schoolchildren are walking out of lessons today to solve global warming so there’s need to worry

idrive:

edd1974:

Apparently they have sensors by the roadside that measure the air quality and automatically lowers limit when it is poor.
Surely they should raise the limits so you can put your foot down and get out of there and into some clean countryside air :laughing:

It’s ok though as schoolchildren are walking out of lessons today to solve global warming so there’s need to worry

But it was a reduced speed at 04.40 but no reduced speed showing at 07.00 when I went back through said section that’s what I’m getting at .

blue estate:
That’s the section by the tunnel :imp: even 50mph at 8:30 on a Sunday morning :imp: :imp: :imp:

It’s 50mph permanently as from a month or so ago. Environmental reasons apparently; as if driving a bit slower could improve the ■■■■ hole that is Newport.

Sidevalve:

blue estate:

It’s 50mph permanently as from a month or so ago. Environmental reasons apparently; as if driving a bit slower could improve the [zb] hole that is Newport.

They do this on the m1 quite regularly. The matrix boards actually state it’s for environmental reasons. Not much fun at rush hour I can tell you.

so the logic is that when its mobbed with vehicles they slow you down so it takes longer to drive where your going to meaning that you sit and breathe in more pollution than if you belted along at 80mph in your car?..belter… :unamused:

Sidevalve:

blue estate:

It’s 50mph permanently as from a month or so ago. Environmental reasons apparently; as if driving a bit slower could improve the [zb] hole that is Newport.

Been like that since Easter when I started doing my Sunday run to Aberdare

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bald bloke:
Approaching this section today just before j24 of M4 I noticed the 1st gantry flashing queuing traffic 40 even though motorway was dead as it was 04.40 am, next gantry changed from 40 up to national speed limit but a poor car driver got flashed even though he was barely doing 60 !! so what was that all about ?

Anyway the 3rd gantry was saying 60 and the 4th was saying 50 ffs. So the first 4 gantries were showing 40 70 60 50 what the hell is that all about at that time in the morning ?

Now on my return through the same section at approximately 07.00 when traffic was pretty busy all the gantries were obviously all turned off so I was wondering is it someone on nights having a laugh ?

I don’t like to moan but this section of motorway really gets my goat grrr.

Most likely Putin’s agents hacking motorway systems trying to cause havoc. I’ve also seen this happen on the M5, M6…nowhere is safe. Keep your eyes open, people. :exclamation:

As others have said this stretch is now supposed to be set at permanent 50mph to reduce pollution… 1 of 3 places in Wales.
I travel it normally X2 a day minimum and its nearly always as described by bald bloke.

Eastbound coming through tunnels set at 50, up the hill goes back to national speed limit then just as you drop down to jnc 24 a combination of 40 or 50 showing.

Absolute shambles.

Every Friday is an absolute nightmare going either way towards the Brynglas tunnels. Stop start for about four junctions. They’ve scrapped building the new bypass too so wasted millions in the planning. ■■■■■■■ hate that part of my day.

Nite Owl:

Sidevalve:

blue estate:

They do this on the m1 quite regularly. The matrix boards actually state it’s for environmental reasons. Not much fun at rush hour I can tell you.

I’ve seen this message about emissions on a number of matrix signs. A483 near Wrexham has also been reduced to 50mph and yellow signs mention its for reducing emissions. I assume this is another of the 3 locations. Shows the true colours of the speed camera projects …because I’ve always been told they were safety cameras to catch people driving at a dangerous speed and causing accidents… Not for enforcing rules about pollution.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

KarlM:

Nite Owl:

Sidevalve:

blue estate:

I’ve seen this message about emissions on a number of matrix signs. A483 near Wrexham has also been reduced to 50mph and yellow signs mention its for reducing emissions. I assume this is another of the 3 locations. Shows the true colours of the speed camera projects …because I’ve always been told they were safety cameras to catch people driving at a dangerous speed and causing accidents… Not for enforcing rules about pollution.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Yes, A483 at Wrexham is one of them. Average speed cameras have just been installed. I think I read recently that warning letters would go out initially and then after a period automatic fines. Lot’s of arguments and allegations about the actual data they have used to justify this. Also an electric car owner wanted to know if he would be exempt, which on the face of it sounds a reasonable request.

manski:
Yes, A483 at Wrexham is one of them. Average speed cameras have just been installed. I think I read recently that warning letters would go out initially and then after a period automatic fines. Lot’s of arguments and allegations about the actual data they have used to justify this. Also an electric car owner wanted to know if he would be exempt, which on the face of it sounds a reasonable request.

Probably have more influence on people`s choice of vehicle in the future, than fiddling with taxes on fuel or road-fund etc.
We have different speed limits for trucks and cars, why not different restrictions for electric vehicles?