Davie Malcolm

I remember a discussion about these guys a few years ago, but does anyone have any answers as to why they specced this particular axle configuration? Just curious really.

image.jpg

Was on here a bit back they have finished like alot of small good companies.

was summat to do with stability, weight distribution due to carrying hanging if i remember correctly

Ah I see, that’ll make sense really. Thank you Sir.

hasn’t that got two steering axles? Looks like a trailer ive seen where both rear axles steer and the gap between axles is a recess to allow the swing.

There was a Culina in Grocotts the other night with a 15.5 metre fridge on…it can carry 4 more pallets and the axle layout was the same and it seemed to me that the two rear axles steer,not just the rear.

Or,Do you remember years ago when there were more tandems about,some axles had a wider spead and this meant they were rated at 10 tonne. Some operators used to use a tri with the front two axles with normal spacing and the rear one with extra space…it was a clever way to have extra load capacity over the rear.

Or…it could be none of the above :grimacing:

Are they back under a new name? Seen a truck a couple of times recently with a similar name with a trailer with an odd axle config

nickyboy:
Are they back under a new name? Seen a truck a couple of times recently with a similar name with a trailer with an odd axle config

DK Malcolm maybe. Sure that’s his son who runs it.

The original Davie Malcolm trailers only look about 40’

There was some talk that it was taken over by Sawyers certainly since that there has been class 1 jobs advertised in the Dumfries paper on quite a few occasions. Eddie.

ShropsBri:
There was a Culina in Grocotts the other night with a 15.5 metre fridge on…it can carry 4 more pallets and the axle layout was the same and it seemed to me that the two rear axles steer,not just the rear.

Axle layout on those Culina 15.6 m trailers is different to the Malcolm trailers, the rear axle is full steering the middle axle is half steering and has a tremendous rear end kick out when turning sharply.

Seen an old Malcolm trailer today all sprayed up in Eat More Chips livery (Broughton transport) today in Avonmouth.

Scan down contacts page, now owned by Sawyers:

sawyerstransport.com/contact

ajt:

nickyboy:

I took 10 pallets off DK Malcolm the other night in his yard,backed up to his trailer and put a piece of chequerplate across and he pumped them over…I asked him if it was his load and he said they’re his lorries…That was Dave,was good to see a boss who’ll come from home jump in the back at eight o’clock at night.

bald bloke:

ShropsBri:

Axle layout on those Culina 15.6 m trailers is different to the Malcolm trailers, the rear axle is full steering the middle axle is half steering and has a tremendous rear end kick out when turning sharply.

It looks it too,K said it was a pain to watch.

ShropsBri:

ajt:

nickyboy:

I took 10 pallets off DK Malcolm the other night in his yard,backed up to his trailer and put a piece of chequerplate across and he pumped them over…I asked him if it was his load and he said they’re his lorries…That was Dave,was good to see a boss who’ll come from home jump in the back at eight o’clock at night.

Is the yard still in hythe kent :question:

He may have one there I dunno but this was at Dumfries Seth.

ShropsBri:
He may have one there I dunno but this was at Dumfries Seth.

Hythe was head office and the only yard,i think people are getting mixed up with dave malcolm and davie malcolm ,2 different companys alltogether.

Hi folks I worked with Davie(snr) until he went under. His son is DK Malcolm and he runs SAWYER trailers there is an affiliation there because after snr finished up, I worked for the son(DK Malcom) for a couple of weeks and the pay slips were from Sawyers in ireland… That was over 2 years ago. I believe Davie kept his beef and lamb contracts and was working with a freezer carrier down south that has been forced to close by VOSA for some tacho probs. I hear he is now looking for driver to start up adverts in local paper but i’ve not seen them. Good guy to work for.

Having met Davie… he is a Gentleman and one of the very few you could trust with a handshake and his word.
These days…its a different world… all contracts and rate cutting.
Best regards to him…wherever he is and whatever he is doing.

I believe the middle axle is a lift axle.

Neville 1:
Having met Davie… he is a Gentleman and one of the very few you could trust with a handshake and his word.
These days…its a different world… all contracts and rate cutting.
Best regards to him…wherever he is and whatever he is doing.

Davie does Refridgerated Transport and knows the job backwards unlike the majority of “logistic providers” :unamused: who seem to be in the majority nowadays !