A quick Q for the container drivers

A container truck over took me yesterday and it was a trailer I had not seen before, it had a standard length ISO container on it and the trailer was the same length.

It was a 3 axel trailer but it had twin tag axels at the front of the trailer which were raised. Just wondered what these were for :question: :question: , or is it so they can carry more weight :question: :question: :question: As 5 axels just seemed a bit excessive for a container, as all the others I see on the road are either 2 axels or 3 axel trailers. But then again I’m not a container truck driver.

It wasn’t one of those trailers that looks like a cut and shut with a single tag axel in the middle of the trailer these were right at the front. So am just curious… :neutral_face: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

never heard of it before. it must be a sort of split system.

Is it like this

bubsy06:
Is it like this

more or less i think but it was wider gap between the tags and the main axels, it overtook me quite fast and didn’t take notice till it was just about to pull back in. Just never seen twin tags on one of those, but makes sense i guess if you got 2 small containers on :question: :neutral_face: .

thanks
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the trailer splits in two.
you can drop the back and deliver a 20 foot box with the front half

It’s what we call a combi trailer, they are mainly designed for doing twin 20footers, you put the rear half on one bay, split the trailer and then either put the other half on another bay or go to a different firm with it. They are a sod to reverse though when they are split.

Also Makes the front box more secure if it has high price load doors are against other box so you cant open unless you drop the rear