C1 and Digital Tacho forms vs Importance

Evening gents/ladies!

I’ve just accepted a job in which I need to do my C1 licence.
Im having a bit of trouble with the paperwork in regards to this and hoping to get a little bit of guidance from the more experienced or maybe someone who has recently been through the process…

Application for a digital tachograph driver card D777B - Says I need to send £38 and both parts of my licence.
Application for lorry, bus or minibus driving licence D2 - Says I need to send both parts of my licence to them.

I have both ready to go - once the doctor/optometrist or whoever does the medical form D4 completes it tomorrow - and my question is…

Which one shall I send off first?? Which is more important to get sorted?

Thanks in advance!
Liam

Hi and welcome

Well… the D2 takes a lot longer to come back. But frankly until you have C1 (or D1, or full C or D) on your license a digicard is not really much use to you, AFAIK

So I would get the D2 off, as I’m afraid you are likely in for 4-6 week wait, the delay being medical branch. Then get digicard, doesn’t take very long.

Sure you don’t want to just for straight for full C? Same test in larger vehicle and doesn’t cost a lot more does it?

Read the tacho application more carefully. You don’t send your licence with the application. From memory you only need complete parts 2 & 5 & 6

TH2013, Thank you!

I’ll be honest I don’t really know what the differences are. All I know is I will get back off my training and be given an 7.5 tonne truck and be told to drive it to my lock-up. I think the licence allows me to drive anything up to a 10 tonne weight so is that just the C1? The girl in the office sent me the forms with C & C1 marked with ‘X’ so maybe thats what they are doing? I really don’t know.

LGVTrainer, yes you’re correct. I’ve just re-read it and I’d only need to send it off if I had just a paper licence.

Another quick one, are D777B and D777D(DL) the same thing?

Cheers,
Liam

a first digital tachograph card and I have a GB photocard driving licence — now only fill in sections
2 and 3 and then send your application to
DVLA, Swansea SA99 1ST with a fee of £38.

Good catch!

GOOGOL:
Another quick one, are D777B and D777D(DL) the same thing?

Yes

GOOGOL:
I think the licence allows me to drive anything up to a 10 tonne weight so is that just the C1?

C1 gives you up to 7.5t
C is basically any rigid vehicle

GOOGOL:
The girl in the office sent me the forms with C & C1 marked with ‘X’ so maybe thats what they are doing?

When applying for a provisional it is common to tick things you may need later. I also ticked D in case I ever get the urge to do buses. After all, the extra categories don’t cost more.

Best of luck with your training. Tim

Brilliant, thank you Tim!

OK, I know I’m being rather thick here so please bear with me here but… do I not have to send off my licence with the D2 either then?

GOOGOL:
All I know is I will get back off my training and be given an 7.5 tonne truck and be told to drive it to my lock-up.

If you don’t mind me asking, when you say you will be told to drive the vehicle to your lock-up are you referring to some kind of lock-up owned by the company you’re going to work for ?

For D2, you DO need to send off your license, as you will get it back with extra provisional cetegories on.

See this Become a qualified heavy goods vehicle (HGV) or bus driver: Applying for a provisional HGV or bus licence - GOV.UK

tachograph:

GOOGOL:
All I know is I will get back off my training and be given an 7.5 tonne truck and be told to drive it to my lock-up.

If you don’t mind me asking, when you say you will be told to drive the vehicle to your lock-up are you referring to some kind of lock-up owned by the company you’re going to work for ?

Tachograph - are you also wondering about O licensing…as I am

It is a lock-up rented by the company nearby my home. Its a Snap-on truck (trialling a new vehicle with me so not just a IVECO van type thing) so has a valuable cargo thus needing a lock-up.

Forgive my curiosity, but is this the first time your company has ventured into stuff bigger than 3.5t?

th2013:
Forgive my curiosity, but is this the first time your company has ventured into stuff bigger than 3.5t?

I have no idea pal. I literally haven’t started employment with them just yet. I’ve just accepted the job and been given the details of training I need to do. Which they are paying for, kindly!

th2013:
Tachograph - are you also wondering about O licensing…as I am

Yes that was part of what I was curious about.

GOOGOL:

th2013:
I’ve just accepted the job and been given the details of training I need to do. Which they are paying for, kindly!

That answers my question of why you were doing C1 and not C …

ROG:

GOOGOL:

th2013:
I’ve just accepted the job and been given the details of training I need to do. Which they are paying for, kindly!

I have no idea what the differences are to be honest.

I’ll just do what they tell me to do… Easier that way!

GOOGOL:

ROG:

GOOGOL:

th2013:

I have no idea what the differences are to be honest.

I’ll just do what they tell me to do… Easier that way!

C1 is LGV up max 7.5 tonnes GVW
C is any rigid LGV

If you want to get to C+E in the future then you will have to do C first whereas if you did C now and bypass C1 then you could go direct to C+E

If you do ever go for C in the future you will not need to do the theory or initial driver cpc modules again so to get C after passing C1 you will just need to do the practical road drive/reverse known now as module 3

I’m enrolled on a theory and CPC module 4 already.

I think i’ll be happy enough with the C/C1 to be honest. I quite fancied C+E a few years ago but not so now. I read too many negatives about the pay etc.

Thank you everyone for your rapid responses, helped a great deal!!