A71

Does anyone know if there is any weight restrictions or low bridges on the a71 from the m74 to kilmarnock? Or is it better going up towards Glasgow and come down the m77. Im going to stevenston
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No weight restriction, BUT there is a low bridge. Sorry I can’t remember the height as all I knew was that my tanker fitted underneath it. It’s one of the last villages near to Kilmarnock. I’m sure that someone more technically minded will provide a street view or similar.

There is a low bridge just as you come out of Hurlford as you pass ATS tyres. It’s 15ft 3.
If you need to divert for the bridge, you need to turn left at the Tesco roundabout in glaston and follow the signs for ‘Kilmarnock Avoiding Low Bridge’ but it takes you away down on to the A76 and back up to the Bellfield Roundabout that way to avoid it. Probably adds about 10 minutes to your journey. A lot of folk prefer just to carry up on the M74 towards Glasgow then down the M77 as it’s an easier road, but if you can get under the bridge, then the A71 would be my first choice.

Thanks

Just go 74 on to the 77, much easier and you’ll be quicker, especially now with the much lighter traffic. Plus the fact you don’t know the road and won’t be flat out going the 71.

Where are you coming from? You can go the 75-76 all the way to Kilmarnock if you’re not going to dither along at 40.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Just go 74 on to the 77, much easier and you’ll be quicker, especially now with the much lighter traffic. Plus the fact you don’t know the road and won’t be flat out going the 71

^^^^This…

I use to regular use that road, nowdays it’s easier and not much different ,time wise going M74, M8, M77 to Kilmarnock,

TheUncaringCowboy:
Just go 74 on to the 77, much easier and you’ll be quicker, especially now with the much lighter traffic. Plus the fact you don’t know the road and won’t be flat out going the 71.

Or up the 74 and across the A725 East Kilbride . The 71 is slower and uses more fuel than going a few more miles up the 74 / 725 options .

71 if you want the scenic route 725 if you want to get the job done as quick as possible.

Thanks lads