Kilmarnock Route Advice

Hello peeps.

I’m headed to just north of Kilmarnock tomorrow, from the M6.

■■■■ nav suggests up to Glasgae, then M77 south.

Looking in the map, a75 to Dumfries, then A76 looks ok.

Any thoughts on pros/cons of each, as I’ve not driven those routes before.

Ta!

To be honest i use the A75 and A76 when goin to that area think its quick and its more intresting than sitting on the motorway all day.Only issue the now is there is about 5 sets of roadworks between gretna and new ■■■■■■■ other than that there is no hassels.

A75/76 is ok but I’d rather carry on up the M74 to J8 and head along the A71 to Kilmarnock that way. There is a 15ft 3 bridge a couple of miles before Kilmarnock at Hurlford though but there are signs at Galston giving you the alternative route on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
A75/76 is ok but I’d rather carry on up the M74 to J8 and head along the A71 to Kilmarnock that way. There is a 15ft 3 bridge a couple of miles before Kilmarnock at Hurlford though but there are signs at Galston giving you the alternative route on them.

That’s the way I would, and do, go also.

we cant contain ourselfs for this epic event, shall get the flags out for you coming !!!

A75/A76 is ok if yer not in a hurry, A70 over to ■■■■■■■ then A76 not the best of roads though, A71 over strathaven and stonehouse is probably the best direct route, or depending whereabouts north of Kilmarnock you are going …east Kilbride from the A74 then over to the M77…take your pick theres not much in it time wise whichever you choose…am being nosey now whereabouts are you going cos my hometown “Stewarton” is just north of Kilmarnock :slight_smile:

weewulliewinkie:
am being nosey now whereabouts are you going cos my hometown “Stewarton” is just north of Kilmarnock :slight_smile:

You fae the bunnet toon? Or as I like to call it, Button Moon[emoji1]
My Mrs is from there.

A sure am my friend

ringfur:
we cant contain ourselfs for this epic event, shall get the flags out for you coming !!!

That’s very sweet of you mukka. Normally the bunting is reeled out after I’ve left, so this will be a nice change.

:grimacing:

I’m headed to a wee place called Kilmaurs. Should I be scared? :open_mouth:

Yes. Quite a few low bridges in kilmaurs [emoji22]

el_presidente:

ringfur:

That’s very sweet of you mukka. Normally the bunting is reeled out after I’ve left, so this will be a nice change.

:grimacing:

I’m headed to a wee place called Kilmaurs. Should I be scared?

Kilmaurs is between Kilmarnock and Stewarton, easy to get to, there is a bridge but its only if you are going into a housing estate, and a double decker bus can get under it so you should be ok. if your going to one of the small ind estates you will have no problem at all. :slight_smile:

There are 3 low bridges in kilmaurs I can think of and I couldn’t get under any of them with a 4.2m trailer. Done a few farms round that way and some required me to come in off the stewarton to Irvine road to get to them. The others are in housing estates as you say though so probably shouldn’t bother you.

2 of those bridges are well into the housing estates and the 3rd bridge goes over the railway on the crosshouse rd, there are only 2 small ind estates which I think will be the favourite for the delivery. …now if its a farm in the area (gulp) that’s a whole new ball game :angry: :smiley:

weewulliewinkie:
2 of those bridges are well into the housing estates and the 3rd bridge goes over the railway on the crosshouse rd, there are only 2 small ind estates which I think will be the favourite for the delivery. …now if its a farm in the area (gulp) that’s a whole new ball game :angry: :smiley:

Just looking at it on google - Off crosshouse rd, the small industrial est before the road crosses over the railway.

el_presidente:

weewulliewinkie:

Just looking at it on google - Off crosshouse rd, the small industrial est before the road crosses over the railway.

yep you will have no problems getting there, as you come up the hill into kilmaurs, its a very tight left turn at the co-op shop