Best route to kilmarnock?

I’m going to kilmarnock in the morning setting off from skipton about 4am but can’t decide whether to go A76 or 10 miles further on the A76. If poss I want to be in kilmarnock before breakfast.

hi m8 if i were taking any road it would be the a76 into kilmarnock on the first exit but it can be a busy road so keep ur eyes peeled

Or you could keep coming up the A(M)74 to Junction 8 and cut across the A71 to Kilmarnock. Only 25mins along the A71.

Mr B:
I’m going to kilmarnock in the morning setting off from skipton about 4am but can’t decide whether to go A76 or 10 miles further on the A76. If poss I want to be in kilmarnock before breakfast.

Where abouts are you going in Kilmarnock? if you take the 76 remember it’s a 40 all the way and the boys in blue are active on that road.

hi mate i’m new to the forum, i would agree with scottishcruiser, to go A(M)74 to junction 8 follow A71.fairly decent road, low bridge of 15’ 3" at hurlford.

That low bridge is ok with trailer 15ft 5 and prob tad more if you drop suspension a bit…

Or M74 Jtn 5 Raith Interchange, A725,A726,M77, if you’re hobby is manufacturing overtime. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Only kidding, but an alternative if you hear of problems on the A71 on the way up.

scottishcruiser:
That low bridge is ok with trailer 15ft 5 and prob tad more if you drop suspension a bit…

It’s just possible that the Highway Code disagrees with your interpretation… :wink:

Can get under it no probs with a 15ft 5" trailer with room to spare… :smiling_imp:

Andy smg:
Or M74 Jtn 5 Raith Interchange, A725,A726,M77, if you’re hobby is manufacturing overtime. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Only kidding, but an alternative if you hear of problems on the A71 on the way up.

i find this route for me is actually better,its mostly dual,the other two ways takes me too long to get speed up,only to loose it for a variety of reasons,twisty,up and down.its up to jc 5 and across to kilbride for me everytime.

buck73:

Andy smg:

i find this route for me is actually better,its mostly dual,the other two ways takes me too long to get speed up,only to loose it for a variety of reasons,twisty,up and down.its up to jc 5 and across to kilbride for me everytime.

Couldn’t agree more mate. That’s how I do it, but I’m on trolley dolly duties so always take the the chill out route.

scottishcruiser:
Can get under it no probs with a 15ft 5" trailer with room to spare… :smiling_imp:

Hi scottishcruiser, maybe you can get a 15’ 5" trailer to pass under that particular bridge, but that isn’t my point.
For all I know, you might be able to fit a much higher vehicle under that bridge.

The Highway Code meaning for a height limit sign is exactly that = it’s a height limit.

I think you’ll find that the height limit sign isn’t a sign that tells us what height of vehicle that we might actually fit under the bridge.
I’ve pointed out that there’s a difference between what you said above when compared to what the Highway Code says. Now anybody reading this can make an informed choice as to whether he/she feels lucky, but I suspect that most of us knew the real answer all along.

You can see for yourself here::arrow_right: Highway Code traffic signs.

I’ve said what I think, so how would you interpret the text under the height limit sign. :question:

bungle:
hi mate i’m new to the forum, i would agree with scottishcruiser, to go A(M)74 to junction 8 follow A71.fairly decent road, low bridge of 15’ 3" at hurlford.

q rog

Thanks for the advice lads the A71 sounds best. I’m going to a place on the bonnyton ie so if there’s somewhere for a propper scottish breaky I’ll be happy.