THAMES TRADERS

Hi boys, I posted a few articles about my Dad’s involvement with Traders in Australia many years ago. Some might even remember me. After many years of ignoring an inner yearning my nephew stumbled across a Thames Trader 50 that we couldn’t go past. It has lived it’s entire life in western NSW Australia doing farm work mainly and for that reason it has no rust and looks pretty straight. Out Moree way is very flat, no traffic, stops signs or people basically. Perfect country for an old campaigner that might have lost a bit of power compared to today’s monoliths. But I’m trying to get a bit of advice on what we’ve purchased. The truck is a rigid, has had the chassis extended at some time after being used as a prime mover. It is fitted with a 6 cylinder diesel, but what surprises me is the 5 speed gearbox and 2 speed diff. Was that normal? I would have thought the 75, which we ran interstate here in Oz had that set up. We ran 900x20 tyres, this has 825x20 fitted on 8 stud wheels. Anyway, have a look and tell me what have we got. I would think that the year of manufacture would be at least mid 60’s going on it’s a Mark 2, it doesn’t have 6D badges on the lower guards but a simple Ford badge, perhaps one of the last before the D Models started.[album] If you want more photos to better establish the model I can send what you want to look at. The model code on the Ford Australia Identification Plate is 82522 and TBRDC is the Serial Prefix if that helps. We have bought it with the intention of restoring it for Historical or Club plate registration which is a restricted registration, but 5% of full rego. Any help appreciated. Tunnels