Peak District.

Yesterday I (belatedly) learned that former driver at Tilcon, W.H Phillips, and latterley also an owner driver, Dennis Bond had passed away a month or so ago. Dennis was a real ‘grafter’ and also a smashing bloke. He had also been the licensee of a PH in Wirksworth for a while. The weighbridge dispatch clerk at Ballidon quarry, Tommy Wibberley, used to despair of Dennis at times because he would ‘vanish’ for several days finding his own work even though employed by Tilcon. “Have you seen Dennis Bond, I sent him to Lichfield two days ago and he hasn’t returned yet?” was the question Tom asked drivers! :laughing: Dennis would tip at Lichfield, load sand just down the road from Hints and take that to Meriden for blending. Then collect asphalt sand from Meriden and run across to Gore quarry at Kington with it, reload granite for West Drayton and then nip into Fords at Dagenham for scrap back to Rotherham. All off of his own bat, the quarry knew nothing about it! :wink:

When Tilcon were selling off some of the fleet Dennis was one of the first to take up the offer of purchasing one of the trucks, coincidently he chose the Foden fitted with the Gardner 230 Turbo (the only one we had) which was driven at that time by David Robinson who’s own funeral takes place next monday. RIP Dennis. :cry:

Dennis Bond’s hard worked Tilcon owned Foden which he had new.

dennis bond.png Not my pic

Pete.