DOW FREIGHT SERVICES (1970's/80's)

sandway:
Found this photo on the web Steve. The front of the Merc unit may look a bit odd as I removed a couple of people standing there. I would hazard a guess as being quite an early Dow subbie or maybe just a shunter unit. Number plate looks like HEH 226J Perhaps you know better?

Hello Brian, that photo looks like it was taken in the early days of Dow, a bit before my time.
As soon as I saw the number plate I thought that it could be a motor from the Stoke on Trent area and for some reason Chapman and Ball sprang to mind. There were two ex Chapman and Ball drivers who I can remember working for Dow, John Roberts and Billy Macdonald and after searching through The Old Stoke Drivers thread it jogged my memory that Chapman and Ball ran a few Fiats but I don’t know if they had any Mercs.
Then it came back to me that there was another driver at Dow who had worked for a company called Morgan Overland and then I remembered that Phil Bunch had also worked at Morgan Overland after Thor had packed up and that Jeff The Flying Foden had put a couple of Phil’s old photos on Trucknet a few year ago. I am not sure if the ex Morgan Overland driver at Dow Freight was Ken Bates, Alan Morrey or Tony Gibbons but whoever it was told me that the owner was either Terry or Barry Morgan and after doing a bit of a search I came across these photos.
I have also added a link that somebody may be interested in as Steve Coates, the son of Malcolm Coates asked on here a few years ago if anybody had known his father. Well I never met Malcolm but I do remember a few of the Dow drivers at the Swindon depot who were ex Radclive drivers mentioning his name and at the back of my mind I have a slight feeling that Dow may of bought
Malcolm’s tilt trailer when Malcolm and his family emigrated to Australia in the early eighties.
For anybody who has never seen Steven’s web site then here is the link.

stevecoates.com.au/random/en … uck-1970s/

As Chazzer has mentioned on the Radclive thread that Malcolm did some work for Zust and Bachmeier and on Steven’s web site it mentions that his dad did some work for Dow Freight, I wondered if this may of been Malcolm’s old trailer.

Morgan Overland.

B.T.W. Brian, I feel that it might be a million to one chance but I have just got to ask it. Did your friend Ian Morgan who worked for Steven’s at Macclesfield ever work for Blue Dart Transport at their Stoke depot in the 70’s/80’s. :confused:

Regards Steve.