Any old promotor drivers around

sandway:
Whilst the subject on here recently has been to do with Tehran we may as well continue for a bit longer. I have attached a photo that has been posted before and seems to be doing the rounds on other forums as well as TNUK. It appeared recently on a Danish site and the contributor said that the two drivers on the right were British and that the photo was taken in Tehran in 1972. The Thor driver is wearing the fur hat and is identified as Phil Bunch. The picture was taken by a chap called Gouldy. .

Promotor 493.jpg

Hi Brian, around 1986 I took my wife on a trip with me to Ancona in Italy and as it was a Friday afternoon by the time the we were tipped I phoned the office only to be told “you are loading in Turin, on Monday”. So as we were going to be weekending I decided to run up to Carissio and to head over to Turin early on the Monday morning. When we arrived at Carissio on the Saturday afternoon I was pleased to see another Dow Freight driver called Alan Morrey who was also parked up there next to three Volvo’s pulling fridges belonging to Moorlocks from Stoke on Trent.
The Moorlocks driver were Phil Bunch, Ray Gould and another lad called Steve who all drove together with Alan when they were working for Thor Transport in the early seventies.
Now I don’t know if there had been a bit of trouble in the restaurant the night before but I do remember one of the Moorlocks lads saying “I don’t fancy dining with the clowns again tonight”.
I can’t remember which one of them said that he knew of a little family run restaurant about ten kilometres away but he did ask Alan, Christine and myself if we would like to go along with them.
So one of them dropped his trailer and the three of them piled into the Volvo, having said that there might of been a driver from Berrisford’s who joined them. Alan dropped his trailer and Chris and I joined him in his Foden.
Now somebody might remember that Carissio was surrounded by Paddy fields where they grew all the rice, hence Carissio was often invaded by millions of mosquitos. Well we drove for what seemed like ages along little narrow lanes bordered by these rice Paddy’s until we came across what looked like an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. How on earth the Moorlocks driver knew about this place I have no idea as it was certainly off the beaten track.
I remember that inside it had a wood fired Pizza oven and the staff were very friendly towards us, in fact it was one of those very few nights out that you will always remember. It was a case of good company, the food was delicious, the conversations were very interesting and the wine was plentiful, much better than that Frizzanti rubbish that we used to drink at Carissio.
When I joined Trucknet about ten years ago I mentioned Alan’s name in a post and a Trucknet member called Jeff, The Flying Foden contacted me and said that he had also worked with Alan on tankers at Brit European after Dow had finished but had lost contact with Alan over the years.
It was Jeff who originally put Phil Bunchies and Ray Gould’s photos on Trucknet on the Astran/Middle East thread with Phil and Ray’s permission. Of course by now I suppose that Phil and Ray’s photos have appeared on loads of trucking sites through out the world but it would be nice if people could give Phil and Ray the credit that they deserve for sharing the photos.
My opinion is that it’s great that they did let Jeff show them because they are now part of trucking history and it makes you wonder how many old photos have now been lost forever as they were never put on the internet. :cry:
Jeff and I exchanged several P.M.'s over the years, in fact I have not heard from him since March the 8th this year as he said he doesn’t get much time to look on here nowadays. He did say that he is still driving tankers on the continent and he also mentioned that Bunchie is still about taking the ■■■■ :laughing: but I did hear that Ray sadly passed away about six months ago. :cry:
I.I.R.C. several years ago I did a trip back to the U.K. and I had arranged to meet up with Alan so I asked Jeff would Phil mind if I downloaded his old Thor photos so that I could show them to Alan. Jeff thought that Phil wouldn’t mind so I have still got them here on my computer.
A couple of years later in one of Jeff’s P.M.'s he told me that his computer had crashed and that he lost all his photos so I was able to send him a copy of all of Phil and Ray’s photos. :smiley:
Here is another photo that was probably taken at the same time.

Photo courtesy of Phil Bunch or Ray Gould.

8.JPG

It’s a bit of a guess but I think that the guy wearing the yellow vest with his back to us could also be another ex Dow driver called Nick from the Swindon depot who I think drove for Radclive Transport from Farringdon in the seventies.

And here are a couple of long distance Ford D series for you Brian. :smiley: