Any old promotor drivers around

During my stay in Tehran in 83 I very quickly saw the big divide between the various factions in the city. The more affluent and rich in the north the poorer and less well educated in the south. That perhaps is over simplifying the situation but thats just how it appeared to me. I saw the ‘Clerics’ ably assisted by their supporters, mainly the poor and the ‘Revolutionary Guards’. I saw the ‘Rich’, most of these were by then living in London or wherever, but some were beginning to return and the centre ‘Liberal Classes’. These middle class liberals weren’t a large group consisting of mainly professional people such as teachers, writers or they worked in the media. A couple of years after the revolution they began to voice there disapproval of the hardline government and finally a large rally was organised in the city but very quickly the demonstrators were attacked and some ruthlessly beaten. The liberal classes never raised there voices again, at least not in public.

There was a very oppressive atmosphere to be seen as well as felt. When you entered the ‘Esteghlal Hotel’, the old Hilton, graffiti was daubed on the doors. ‘Down with USA’ and ‘USA can do nothing’ were prominent but it wasn’t only the US that the graffiti was aimed at. Also women had to know there place under this regime and if they stepped out of line the black penguins or ‘morals patrols’ soon had them in the local nick for corrective training. That isn’t to say that they couldn’t obtain high positions in commerce or public bodies. There was lady in charge of the Tehran Fair. We always presented ourselves at her office when we first arrived but as we approached her desk and went to shake her hand she would gracefully smile and keep her hands by her side. We soon learnt that women weren’t allowed any physical contact with men in public and had to wear, at the very least, the drab beige or dark coloured tunics and scarves so hated by many of them. I did manage to put myself about a bit whilst in Tehran though and one evening I was asked if I would like to go to a funfair by a young lady and her brother and a few friends. At the funfair there was a ‘wall of death’ and we all wanted to watch. Good idea I thought. Will give me a chance in the dark to get up close to the sister. No way!!! Inside the stands were segregated. Women one side and men on the other. ■■■■. At least here though you did see many beautiful women unlike Saudi.

I found most of the Iranians I met and worked with to be very gentle people. Many of them were either those middle class liberals I spoke of earlier or sons or daughters of them. I have a very distressing tale of my involvement with one such family including the brother and sister I went to the funfair with. I met them both at the Trade Fair, I can’t identify them even after all these years have passed. I got on very well with the sister and one day she gave me a photo of herself and friends she worked with in her office. I commented on one of the ladies in the photo who had a sorrowful look on her face. I was told her husband, who worked in the media and had strong pro Shah views had been arrested a couple of years earlier and thrown in the notorious Evin jail. She visited him there and on the last occasion he told her he had been given an ultimation. Either renounce his views publicly or face execution. He told her he couldn’t do that and a week later they carried out their threat.

I was invited back to the siblings home to meet the rest of their family before I left Tehran. We had a great time all behind locked doors of course. The family would have had some explaining to do if I had been found there. However, later it became clear what the objective of my visit was. It seems the brother had had a run in with the authorities and the family thought he was in danger of being arrested. I was asked if I could smuggle him out of the country in my lorry. Of course there was no way I could or would and I had to tell them that. They understood and said they knew it was only a slim chance that I would agree. When I returned to Tehran ten months later I telephoned the family home hoping to rekindle my relationship with them. I spoke to the mother. She was in tears and in a terrible state and asked me never to contact them again incase the authorities were listening in. She told me that anti government literature had been found in the area where they lived. Many young people had been arrested and put in Evin jail including her children. She hadn’t been able to find them and didn’t even know if they were still alive.

I still have the photos taken in the family garden and a small simple present the sister gave me.

Thanks for sharing that Brian, yet again I found that post very interesting. :smiley:
I have a slight feeling that I might of asked you this before but what is the name of the guy wearing the green polo shirt who is stood next to that Mack as I am sure that I have seen him somewhere before.
A couple of pages back you showed a few pictures of boats around The Galata Bridge in Istanbul, well the small blue and red rowing boat looked fairly familiar so I had to go through all my old photos to see if I had taken a photo of it myself all those years ago. I eventually found the one that I was looking for only to see that it wasn’t the same one. Although you might remember seeing these guys as they were moored not far away from where we used to catch the ferry over The Bosphorus to go to The Harem.

Many years ago here on Trucknet one of the old middle men called Hughie Ashton or Biffo who worked for Funstons wrote a story of one of his trips to Iran which I think that you might enjoy so if I can find it in the Trucknet Archives then I shall repost it as it’s well worth reading again.

And going slightly off topic (again) as Promotors were based in Sevenoaks I thought that you might be interested in seeing this little You Tube clip as you might of driven down the High Street once or twice, enjoy.

youtube.com/watch?v=E4vqCwl2aS8

In fact Brian, here is the page link with Biffo’s story on it so you might recognise a few of the old names on here

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46919

At the close of the 1983 Tehran International Trade Fair my job was to repack the exhibits, load the trailer and drive back to the UK. Well, there were a few other jobs to be done like going through every invoice/packing list for every item temporarily imported into Iran for the Fair. Amending them, showing which goods had been sold, being returned or consumed. Giveaways and literature were consumable items and in many countries duty would have to be paid on them. Depending on how many companies you worked for at the Fair these amended invoices/packing lists could run into many hundreds. Once this job was completed all the paperwork had to go to the agent, in our case Bijan Nabavi, for him to tie it in with the paperwork he produced in Farsi for the Iranian customs when the goods first arrived at the Fair. He then produced a list/manifest of goods that were returning to the UK, or elsewhere if items were going on to another exhibition in say Dubai or India. Whilst Bijan and his office staff were working their way through the paperwork I continued repacking the exhibits. But I still couldn’t complete the job as none of the crates or cartons could be sealed as customs still had to inspect the contents.

Another little job I had to do was to visit the managers of the three hotels we used. We had customers in the Azadi and Esteglal up near the fairground and a small number in the Interconti down in the city centre. I had to collect the rooming lists from them, check no-one had stayed longer than they should have and if any extras bills had not been paid, sort them out hoping Promotor would be reimbursed when I got home (not always the case). By about the forth or fifth day after the close of the fair things had quietened down and I was just hanging around waiting for Bijan to do his bit. It was still just about warm enough to spend time by the pool at my hotel, the Estehlal and it was here I bumped into one of my old friends and a good customer. The last time I had seen him was in Baghdad a couple of years previously when he worked for ‘Leslie Hartridge’ but he had moved on and was now with ‘Martin Baker’ the fast jet ejector seat manufacturer. He was there because the Iranian Airforce flew the American Phantom fighter bombers. “I thought sanctions were in place” I said. He just looked at me, touched his nose and said nothing. Hmm, theres always a way. There was a very good reason I remembered this guy so well and thats because he got an Iraqi girl into his room in the Al Mansoor Hotel in Baghdad. In the mid 80’s the hotel was the top most secure hotel in Baghdad. Its a true story. I know because I was also in the room!

One evening I had dinner with my friend, the sister I spoke about in my last post. Her friend from her office had an apartment and it was there we met together with another chap from the office to make up the numbers. It would still have been a major problem for the three of them if the authorities had found us but it didn’t seem to worry them to much. We still had a good time but that was the last time I saw or heard from the sister. Another thing I remember doing was going to an Iranian sauna with Bijan. Yes, that was another experience!

Finally it was time for me to leave Tehran. Custom clearance had been completed and the trailer loaded. Three lorries had been dispatched to the fair but only one was needed for the returning goods. However, it was tight but we finally managed to shoehorn the load into the trailer filling up every conceivable inch of space. That was going to cause problems later on though. The Iranians like giving presents and just as I was about to depart Bijan gave me a fancy box ■■■■■■■ with ribbons. It was full of top quality pistachio nuts. They were delicious and lasted me until I was back in Germany.

My journey home was uneventful apart from one little problem at the German border. I had transited Austria and as usual didn’t use the main crossing point at Salzburg on the autobahn but the smaller one to the north of the town known as Freillassing after the nearest German town. The crossing point is situated on the Saalach river and rarely did I see more than half a dozen lorries at any one time on the many occasions I was there. This time was no exception and I breezed through the Austrian side but the German side is where I came to an abrupt halt. It was early Saturday morning and I wanted to be out of Germany late that evening to miss the Sunday driving ban so was in a hurry. However, the Germans weren’t. Maybe they were wondering why, on my way back from Tehran, I was using a small border crossing but as soon as they saw my carnet they became very inquisitive. In the end I was told to pull alongside a small unloading platform and to roll up the sheet on that side. Once this was done I was asked to identify a certain crate that they had chosen at random. As I said earlier the load had been crammed in and no way could I find the crate. It was possible to move a few flat boxes on top of the load but that was it. The Germans were miffed and I was ■■■■■■ off. After an hour or so I was told to resheet the trailer and that I was being taken to the main Salzburg border crossing as they had better facilities, equipment and labour there. I arrived there late morning with a German ■■■■■■ sitting in the passenger seat. The sheet was once again pulled back and this time, with the help of three men and a forklift five or six items were removed. None of them was the crate they had originally asked me to identify though. It was now early afternoon and it was slowly dawning on the Germans that unloading the whole trailer was the only way to find this crate. It was at this point they got practical. It was near the end of their working day. They wanted to go home to their wives or to the pub for a few beers. “Can you identify any of the items on the carnet/packing lists” I was asked. With that I pointed out two items which were then opened and the contents inspected. “Ya, fine, all is in order” I was gleefully told. They struggled to reload the items that had been removed from the trailer but finally I was able to resheet and get plumbed up again. Thank Christ for that I thought. It was now mid afternoon and it looked as if I was going to spend Sunday twiddling my fingers in Germany.

But I wasn’t beaten yet. I stuck a new tacho card in and headed towards Munchen where I put in yet another new card. In my head I was working out distances and times and decided I could just get to the border at Remich before the ban came in, but it was going to be tight as it was well over 600km. I did get there but it took a bit longer than I bargained for, however, nobody said anything at the border and I slept in late next morning in Luxembourg. I arrived back in our office Monday afternoon, 76 days after leaving for a very eventful and thought provoking trip.

mushroomman:
Thanks for sharing that Brian, yet again I found that post very interesting. :smiley:
I have a slight feeling that I might of asked you this before but what is the name of the guy wearing the green polo shirt who is stood next to that Mack as I am sure that I have seen him somewhere before.
A couple of pages back you showed a few pictures of boats around The Galata Bridge in Istanbul, well the small blue and red rowing boat looked fairly familiar so I had to go through all my old photos to see if I had taken a photo of it myself all those years ago. I eventually found the one that I was looking for only to see that it wasn’t the same one. Although you might remember seeing these guys as they were moored not far away from where we used to catch the ferry over The Bosphorus to go to The Harem.

Some great post Sandway!

The fellow in the T short by the Mack is none other than Promotor driver, Bobby Keen, also known as “Bob the dog”. Good fellow! I did at least one Baghdad with him, at least I remember a rather boozy trip around Istanbul with him. We visited all the sites, the Blue Mosque, the fabulous market (both carpet and spice markets), the Pudding Shop and, naturally, Pig Alley. I wonder what happened to him?

Keep those stories coming… I wish I could remember more. All the names have gone now… A shame. Great times.

Morning Steve and Efes.
I’m pleased you found my recollection of the 83 trip I did to Tehran of interest. I hope you weren’t the only ones. There were many other little anecdotes I could have added to the piece, such as standing outside the American Embassy, which had been sacked by the Iranians in 79 and the staff taken hostage, or I could have told the story of being driven around the back streets of Tehran by a lady at two in the morning who was trying to get me back to my hotel but if readers are like me their eyes will start to glaze over if the article is to long.

I like the picture of the fishermen Steve. Looks like two brothers on the left. Not sure if H & S would like to see the barbecue on the boat and why are the brothers holding chop sticks or are they tuning forks!!

As for Sevenoaks High Street. I have driven down there many times as I am sure Efes has but Promotor moved to Tunbridge Wells in the early 80’s so that was possibly the last time I was there. In fact I was away during the move and had to ring the office upon my return to find out where they were. Loved the Crimewatch, Lorry highjacks. I was waiting for Jack Regan of the Sweeney to rush up to one of the lorries, yank open the drivers door, grab the driver and utter those immortal words, ‘You’re nicked’.

As for the guy by the Mack. As Efes has said that was Bobby Keen. Bobby must have been on Pro’s for ten years but I rarely saw him. I did a Baghdad with him in 82 via the Koper/Tartous ferry which stopped running soon after. I also remember running back overnight from Stuttgart at the close of an exhibition with him in 89. I had a little Toyota Celica sports car and was out there to run the show. There were four of us crammed in the car. Bobby, Chic Steadman, a guy from down in Sussex and myself. The idea (a bad one) was we would take it in turns to drive. I did the first stint then Chic, both of us driving steadily, but as soon as Bobby got behind the wheel it was flat out all the way. I’ve never known ex marine tough guy Chic to be so quiet. He was a big guy so had to sit in the front with Bobby but I could tell he wasn’t happy. The last time I worked with Bobby was in Tehran in 91 or 92. I flew out and he, and I believe, brought out the lorry. However, when the show was on there wasn’t much for us to do. Unfortunately he got in with another guy in our hotel who was able to get plenty of locally produced Vodka. I remember on one occasion, it was midday, I had to send Bobby back to the hotel as the Vodka fumes emanating from him were almost visible. I’ve attached a couple of photos of Bobby which I have aired before. I think it was Nottsnortherner who commented that Bobby could always be found if ‘birds or booze’ were involved.

As for the other subject you mentioned Steve about Biffo. I posted, a couple of years back, that I was in Volos waiting for the ferry to Syria and met Jeff Stringfellow driving then for David Duxbury. Jeff told me he was the last British driver, or one of the last, to get out of Tehran as the Revolution kicked off. I have attached the photos which have also been aired before.

Promotor%20344.jpeg

Promotor%20345.jpeg

Whilst the subject on here recently has been to do with Tehran we may as well continue for a bit longer. I have attached a photo that has been posted before and seems to be doing the rounds on other forums as well as TNUK. It appeared recently on a Danish site and the contributor said that the two drivers on the right were British and that the photo was taken in Tehran in 1972. The Thor driver is wearing the fur hat and is identified as Phil Bunch. The picture was taken by a chap called Gouldy. .

‘Supercube’ one of the original Promotor drivers who sadly passed away last year said that in January 72 John Taylor drove a Ford D Series to Moscow and later in the same year Dave Thomas did Promotors first Iran trip but he didn’t say what lorry Dave was driving. I believe there is a good chance this photo was taken on that first trip and that a D Series was used. Only the first part of the number plate can be seen and not much of the cab. I was wondering if its the same lorry in the second photo taken in about 78 albeit with a different body attached as I’m sure the one in 72 would have been a box on the back.

The photo of course was taken seven or eight years after Asian Transport first went this was but they didn’t do it in a little D Series. I know there are a few drivers from this era, whatever company you drove for, who still visit this site. Can any of you identify the Promotor driver in the first photo?.

324209_2261390246650_980064574_o.jpg

291211_2261387686586_1510997147_o.jpg

Promotor 494.jpg

Promotor 493.jpg

Not sure about 1972 but around ‘73/ ‘74 I hired two or three TiR tilts to ProMotor for Middle East,until I fell out with your boss. The D series definitely picked up one my, memory fades but I think rented trucks (Fords from Stormount) came in at some time for others ?
In the photo with the girls, Astran driver Bun Parlane on right and Gordon Pearce on left.

Enjoy reading your narratives, keep posting them.

OzzyHugh:
Not sure about 1972 but around ‘73/ ‘74 I hired two or three TiR tilts to ProMotor for Middle East,until I fell out with your boss. The D series definitely picked up one my, memory fades but I think rented trucks (Fords from Stormount) came in at some time for others ?
In the photo with the girls, Astran driver Bun Parlane on right and Gordon Pearce on left.

Enjoy reading your narratives, keep posting them.

Thanks for the valuable info OzzyHugh. I think the Thor lorry is an N registration which is of course is 1974. I should have looked closer in the first place. However, I know Promotor went to Tehran in 72 but obviously the photo wasn’t taken then. Did you know Peter Calderwood well and did you do any other business with the company. I would much appreciate any info you have on the company or drivers.

The little Ford is not the long bodied one shown. Different headlights.

When I joined Promotor there was also a short Ford D series flatbed which was kept for sentimental reasons being Calderwood’s first. Horrid thing that would slide all over the road when it was wet.

I’ve seen this photo before and it mentioned Roger Oakley as being the driver but I don’t think it’s him in the photo’. I think Roger was only a Class III driver, as I don’t remember him on an artic. I don’t think a little Promotor flatbed would be in Tehran unless to collect a wrecked car?

I always turned right at Adana - with the boys.

sandway:
Whilst the subject on here recently has been to do with Tehran we may as well continue for a bit longer. I have attached a photo that has been posted before and seems to be doing the rounds on other forums as well as TNUK. It appeared recently on a Danish site and the contributor said that the two drivers on the right were British and that the photo was taken in Tehran in 1972. The Thor driver is wearing the fur hat and is identified as Phil Bunch. The picture was taken by a chap called Gouldy. .

Promotor 493.jpg

Hi Brian, around 1986 I took my wife on a trip with me to Ancona in Italy and as it was a Friday afternoon by the time the we were tipped I phoned the office only to be told “you are loading in Turin, on Monday”. So as we were going to be weekending I decided to run up to Carissio and to head over to Turin early on the Monday morning. When we arrived at Carissio on the Saturday afternoon I was pleased to see another Dow Freight driver called Alan Morrey who was also parked up there next to three Volvo’s pulling fridges belonging to Moorlocks from Stoke on Trent.
The Moorlocks driver were Phil Bunch, Ray Gould and another lad called Steve who all drove together with Alan when they were working for Thor Transport in the early seventies.
Now I don’t know if there had been a bit of trouble in the restaurant the night before but I do remember one of the Moorlocks lads saying “I don’t fancy dining with the clowns again tonight”.
I can’t remember which one of them said that he knew of a little family run restaurant about ten kilometres away but he did ask Alan, Christine and myself if we would like to go along with them.
So one of them dropped his trailer and the three of them piled into the Volvo, having said that there might of been a driver from Berrisford’s who joined them. Alan dropped his trailer and Chris and I joined him in his Foden.
Now somebody might remember that Carissio was surrounded by Paddy fields where they grew all the rice, hence Carissio was often invaded by millions of mosquitos. Well we drove for what seemed like ages along little narrow lanes bordered by these rice Paddy’s until we came across what looked like an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. How on earth the Moorlocks driver knew about this place I have no idea as it was certainly off the beaten track.
I remember that inside it had a wood fired Pizza oven and the staff were very friendly towards us, in fact it was one of those very few nights out that you will always remember. It was a case of good company, the food was delicious, the conversations were very interesting and the wine was plentiful, much better than that Frizzanti rubbish that we used to drink at Carissio.
When I joined Trucknet about ten years ago I mentioned Alan’s name in a post and a Trucknet member called Jeff, The Flying Foden contacted me and said that he had also worked with Alan on tankers at Brit European after Dow had finished but had lost contact with Alan over the years.
It was Jeff who originally put Phil Bunchies and Ray Gould’s photos on Trucknet on the Astran/Middle East thread with Phil and Ray’s permission. Of course by now I suppose that Phil and Ray’s photos have appeared on loads of trucking sites through out the world but it would be nice if people could give Phil and Ray the credit that they deserve for sharing the photos.
My opinion is that it’s great that they did let Jeff show them because they are now part of trucking history and it makes you wonder how many old photos have now been lost forever as they were never put on the internet. :cry:
Jeff and I exchanged several P.M.'s over the years, in fact I have not heard from him since March the 8th this year as he said he doesn’t get much time to look on here nowadays. He did say that he is still driving tankers on the continent and he also mentioned that Bunchie is still about taking the ■■■■ :laughing: but I did hear that Ray sadly passed away about six months ago. :cry:
I.I.R.C. several years ago I did a trip back to the U.K. and I had arranged to meet up with Alan so I asked Jeff would Phil mind if I downloaded his old Thor photos so that I could show them to Alan. Jeff thought that Phil wouldn’t mind so I have still got them here on my computer.
A couple of years later in one of Jeff’s P.M.'s he told me that his computer had crashed and that he lost all his photos so I was able to send him a copy of all of Phil and Ray’s photos. :smiley:
Here is another photo that was probably taken at the same time.

Photo courtesy of Phil Bunch or Ray Gould.

8.JPG

It’s a bit of a guess but I think that the guy wearing the yellow vest with his back to us could also be another ex Dow driver called Nick from the Swindon depot who I think drove for Radclive Transport from Farringdon in the seventies.

And here are a couple of long distance Ford D series for you Brian. :smiley:

How do you do it ‘mushroomman’. You have such a wealth of knowledge, its unbelievable. To think you have in your possession the sequel to the old photograph I and others have posted on here and which was taken in almost certainly 74 defies comprehension. To have known the guys who appeared or took the photos leaves me speechless. My own contribution to this forum is very limited. Although I met a fair number of drivers it was normally just in passing. As an introvert I rarely mixed preferring my own company most of the time. I’m glad you were the opposite, as an extrovert you obviously mixed easily and gained knowledge as has been shown many times here on TNUK and I for one am thankful for that.

That last post of yours was no exception. The story of the meeting at Carissio and the subsequent trip to the little restaurant reminds me of the time I and Promotor driver John Preece and two others did exactly the same when weekended at Cluses except in our case John and I both ended up in the cells for the night. I have told the full story on here before so won’t repeat it.

The article concerning the D Series to Kabul to collect the Hawker Hind aircraft in 1970 was interesting. The trip would, almost certainly, been known to Peter Calderwood as that was about the time he left Fords and the company Promotor was born.

However, the Promotor driver in the photo who was driving the D Series Reg Nr KKP ---- has still not been identified. We have been told it is one of the two drivers on the right in the photo. Either the one in the redish coloured top or the one below him in blue and clutching a bottle. I think its over to you Nottsnortherner. You joined the company in 75. Any ideas?

As a ‘thank you’ to you mushroomman I have re-posted the only Dow Freight photo I have in my collection. The one taken at the Zagreb Hotel where Promotor driver ‘Billy Proudlove’ was incarcerated awaiting his trial for his involvement in an accident in which two Yugos were killed.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say ‘thank you’ to Phil Bunch and the late Ray Gould for allowing the Thor/Tehran photos to be shared with us.

Hello Brian, I have found a photo of Alan and that other ex Thor driver who I mentioned in my last post. I am fairly certain that his name was Steve and about ten years ago I contacted Jeff to see if he knew his surname. Jeff didn’t recognise him so he phoned either Phil or it may of been Ray who said that they couldn’t remember it.
Alan is sat nearest to the camera and if you look closely you might see one the Moorlock’s trucks in it’s red and white livery parked next to the M.A.N. I have also included another one of Phil’s photos that was shown here on Trucknet about ten years ago. I.I.R.C. Phil did join Trucknet but I think that he only made about two or three posts which is a shame because I am sure that he could of added some very interesting articles about the early days and could of possibly answered a few of your questions.
I do remember about four years before I had met those guys at Carissio I was following Alan through Romania one afternoon somewhere between Arad and Sibiu on the T.I.R. route when we met one of Moorlock’s drivers on his way home. Alan and the other guy just parked on the road but left enough room for anybody to get past. As it was on one of my early trips through Rumo I felt very uneasy about stopping where we had parked in case somebody did come along. Alan and the other guy chatted for about ten minutes then got back in their cabs and drove off. It felt strange at the time being on the main road through Rumania and not seeing another vehicle for over ten minutes, not even a horse and cart.
When Alan and I stopped for a brew a bit later he told me then that he and the Moorlocks driver used to work together at Thor back in the seventies.
Thanks Brian for the photo of the Trancon which was driven by Chris Turnbull, here is another photo of it parked up in Hungary.
B.T.W. I think that I said that Phil Gould passed away about six months ago, I now realise that it was over two years ago, so sorry for that.

Alan Morrey.

Phil Bunch.

9.JPG

Chris Turnbull, Jimmy Walker, Billy Jones, Terry Smailes and myself in Hungary…

Morning Mushroomman. Have just found a photo on the web of Carissio and plenty of Dow’s parked up. I am sure I have seen these photos on TNUK before so hope I’m not stepping on anyones toes by posting them again. I assume they weren’t taken at the same time as you and others went off to the little restaurant in the country as no Morlock Volvos to be seen. Hope the driver involved in the other two photos wasn’t rushing to meet up at Carissio as well. Maybe you recognise him or the Comart driver?

CARISIO, ITALY..jpg

Have just found a photo of my old lorry CJN 286X which I drove from new. Problem I have with it is that the fog lights in the bumper still have their covers on and there appears to be some writing above the windscreen in the centre. There was no writing when I had it. Also the Promotor name on the headboard looks as if the paints coming off. Perhaps the cab had a respray at some time. Over to you Efes as I know you drove it for a while later on.

sandway:
Have just found a photo of my old lorry CJN 286X which I drove from new. Problem I have with it is that the fog lights in the bumper still have their covers on and there appears to be some writing above the windscreen in the centre. There was no writing when I had it. Also the Promotor name on the headboard looks as if the paints coming off. Perhaps the cab had a respray at some time. Over to you Efes as I know you drove it for a while later on.

I never had any slogans or names painted on my unit. It must have been after I left in 1986.

I see now that my unit was CJN287X not 286…

As to the fog lights… Thereby hangs a tale. I remember being parked in a remote layby somewhere in Yugoslavia (in the South but I can’t remember where exactly) and about 2am in the morning I was rudely awoken by someone hammering on the door. Much peeved I looked out to see a young lady dressed in a fur coat offering her services. Having been deeply asleep I wasn’t impressed and told her in no uncertain terms to bugger off… She kept on hammering on the door and I was reluctant to get dressed and out of bed to chase her away partly because it was cold and also assuming this was a plot to get me out of the cab and I was very much alone in the middle of nowhere. I decided to let her carry on and get tired of knocking. In the morning I discovered that she - and her accomplice which she indeed had - had made off with my fog lamps…

mushroomman:
Hello Brian, I have found a photo of Alan and that other ex Thor driver who I mentioned in my last post. I am fairly certain that his name was Steve and about ten years ago I contacted Jeff to see if he knew his surname. Jeff didn’t recognise him so he phoned either Phil or it may of been Ray who said that they couldn’t remember it.
Alan is sat nearest to the camera and if you look closely you might see one the Moorlock’s trucks in it’s red and white livery parked next to the M.A.N. I have also included another one of Phil’s photos that was shown here on Trucknet about ten years ago. I.I.R.C. Phil did join Trucknet but I think that he only made about two or three posts which is a shame because I am sure that he could of added some very interesting articles about the early days and could of possibly answered a few of your questions.
I do remember about four years before I had met those guys at Carissio I was following Alan through Romania one afternoon somewhere between Arad and Sibiu on the T.I.R. route when we met one of Moorlock’s drivers on his way home. Alan and the other guy just parked on the road but left enough room for anybody to get past. As it was on one of my early trips through Rumo I felt very uneasy about stopping where we had parked in case somebody did come along. Alan and the other guy chatted for about ten minutes then got back in their cabs and drove off. It felt strange at the time being on the main road through Rumania and not seeing another vehicle for over ten minutes, not even a horse and cart.
When Alan and I stopped for a brew a bit later he told me then that he and the Moorlocks driver used to work together at Thor back in the seventies.
Thanks Brian for the photo of the Trancon which was driven by Chris Turnbull, here is another photo of it parked up in Hungary.
B.T.W. I think that I said that Phil Gould passed away about six months ago, I now realise that it was over two years ago, so sorry for that.

Alan Morrey.

Phil Bunch.

Chris Turnbull, Jimmy Walker, Billy Jones, Terry Smailes and myself in Hungary…

All the Dow lorries were named after horses. One driver had the truck named “Red Rum” and he was, poor fellow, the ■■■■ of many jokes. There were some good guys on Dow, I used to enjoy their company all over the place (mostly The National at Belgrade I think). There was small fellow called Dennis (I think Dow) - usually pleasant and amusing - got into an argument with a hitchhiker. Dennis was in his cups at the time because the hitch hiker didn’t want any trouble - but Dennis insisted. The argument was ended by one quick blow from the hitchhiker that laid Dennis out cold and took out his two front teeth. The hookers appeared from everywhere and splashed his neck with cold water to bring him round. Obviously plenty of experience. I fed Dennis a few cups of tea to calm him down afterwards and help get him over the shock. Not a happy fellow I must say.

sandway:

I have said it many times. ‘The little grey cells are not what they were’ or maybe its that I’m cracking up. My wife favours both options. Thank you. After reading the post Efes submitted last night I realise I was completely wrong. My old Scania 112 was CJN 287X. Its all a bit hazy now but two new units, the first of the new models, were delivered to Promotor. John Preece had one and I had the other. On a previous unit John had his wife name painted above the windscreen and obviously he had something written on the new one. The photograph of CJN 286X is, I am sure, just after the new unit was delivered.

Neither of the first new units had visors fitted, later ones did and it wouldn’t have been possible for anything to be written above the windscreen on them. Another thing I find interesting is that Johns lorry seems to have disappeared completely. I have seen no other photos of it anywhere.

Efes. Just been reading your last couple of little anecdotes concerning the girls who provided their services in Yugo. In the late 70’s there was a girl from Maribor by the name of Angela. Skinny girl with bad teeth. I was homeward bound north of Nis on one occasion and saw her and another girl thumbing a lift so I stopped. As soon as they clambered aboard she started on about ‘Johny’ a Promotor driver she knew. It turned out Johny was a big boy and size did matter, to her anyway. After a while I realised she was talking about John ‘Welly’ Ward who is the driver shown above on the right of John Preece’s old smashed up unit which Welly had been driving. I dropped the girls off at the National early evening and went in for a meal. The two girls followed me in and then Angela demanded I buy them a meal. I told them both to ■■■■ off and the last I saw of them was sitting at the table of an Austrian driver. Good luck to you I thought.

Another girl who worked the National was Sonja. She was a nice girl, not one of the brassy ones who often frequented the place. One evening I was in another drivers lorry mid evening having a drink when Sonja walked by. The other driver asked her if she would like a coffee which she readily accepted. Her english was good and we had all had a laugh. However, at nine o’clock sharp she informed us she had to go to work, almost like clocking on and with that she jumped out of the cab and we watched as she started knocking on doors of lorries behind us. It wasn’t long before she disappeared into one. I heard a few years later that she married a dutch driver and was living in Holland.

sandway:
Efes. Just been reading your last couple of little anecdotes concerning the girls who provided their services in Yugo. In the late 70’s there was a girl from Maribor by the name of Angela. Skinny girl with bad teeth. I was homeward bound north of Nis on one occasion and saw her and another girl thumbing a lift so I stopped. As soon as they clambered aboard she started on about ‘Johny’ a Promotor driver she knew. It turned out Johny was a big boy and size did matter, to her anyway. After a while I realised she was talking about John ‘Welly’ Ward who is the driver shown above on the right of John Preece’s old smashed up unit which Welly had been driving. I dropped the girls off at the National early evening and went in for a meal. The two girls followed me in and then Angela demanded I buy them a meal. I told them both to ■■■■ off and the last I saw of them was sitting at the table of an Austrian driver. Good luck to you I thought.

Another girl who worked the National was Sonja. She was a nice girl, not one of the brassy ones who often frequented the place. One evening I was in another drivers lorry mid evening having a drink when Sonja walked by. The other driver asked her if she would like a coffee which she readily accepted. Her english was good and we had all had a laugh. However, at nine o’clock sharp she informed us she had to go to work, almost like clocking on and with that she jumped out of the cab and we watched as she started knocking on doors of lorries behind us. It wasn’t long before she disappeared into one. I heard a few years later that she married a dutch driver and was living in Holland.

Yes Sonja I remember - probably because her English was good and she was a very decent person. A bit sad, she started hooking to pay her school fees and then got used to the money and said it was hard to stop…

I remember being snowed up in 3 foot of snow at The National in Belgrade with John Preece and we were sitting in our cabs enjoying the newly fitted cab heaters and a few beers… There came a knock at the door and John asked, “who’s that?”. I opened the door to reveal a very tiny gypsy girl shaking with cold and I advised John it was “one of the girls”. He said “tell her to p… off” and I told the girl, “my friend says come in”… The poor girl was so cold and miserable and we made her a cup of tea to warm her and gave her a banana (yes, a banana) because she was hungry. Slowly she warmed up and began to feel better and then tried to ply her trade. John explained that we were gay (we’re not in case you wonder) and she made a hasty retreat to find business elsewhere…

Some weeks later when I arrived at the National the same girl was there with a bunch of drivers in the cafe who were showing her some photos of other drivers and as she went through the photos she pointed out those she knew; this one “ficky ficky”, that one “saxaphone boy”…

The next morning I was in The National washroom with my shirt off washing my hair under the tap and all of a sudden the little gypsy girl came in and started soaping my back which caused quite a stir with the other drivers… She told me I could “ficky ficky und nichts bezahlen”. I declined her kind offer… The washroom was where there was a long bank of cracked and broken mirrors over the sinks to which one had a small gold printed label attached which read “Expertly repaired by George Fardell, Lympstone, Devon”…

Do you remember the story of Bugsy taking his wife to Yugo? He took her to Motel Zagreb and nearby is a big lake where drivers would go in the summer and swim and drink beer. Bugsy wandered over to show it to his wife. One of the local girls (I believe this to be Angela from your story) saw Bugsy and shouted “Hello English! Big ■■■■ no money!”. Mrs Bugsy was not overly impressed.

Have read that Dave Stanway of Walthamstow died a few days ago aged 80. I didn’t know him but told a little story on here a year or two back about the time I pulled his lorry out of the snow at the bottom of Bolu. It had been stuck there for three days and the driver was kept fed by a Turkish family living nearby.
RIP Dave.