Peak District.

Chris Webb:
I never drove a tipper Pete,I did go to two quarries int 60s and 70s,one was Dene near Cromford with a load of tar from Avenue plant Wingerworth when I worked for A E Evans and the other was somewhere off the Ashbourne road,the one where you turn right from Bakewell after Haddon Hall,can’t recall it’s name,it was a piece of machinery from T W Ward,when I was on general haulage out of Sheffield,late 60s.
I remember to this day the blasting explosions as a kid from different quarries,that’s when Eyam Quarries and Darlton were going.
Am I showing my age? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That was Shining Bank quarry Chris, it closed several years ago. Hinchcliffes/North Lonsdale and then RMC and Cemex ran it at different times. Haddon Hall own the land, for one day each year stone was carted for free from the quarry to the Hall. Good hard limestone in there, I ran over a piece one day expecting it to crumble and it blew my front tyre to bits!! :open_mouth: I liked working from there, very easy going lads and not so much H&S stuff as Tarmac had, however there was so much overburden to shift before you reached good stone that it was expensive to get it out. Rates weren’t quite as good as Tarmac/Tilcon (they worked on radial miles whereas Tilcon and Tarmac paid on direct miles) ) but the lad in the weighbridge seemed to like me and sorted me some decent work out when other quarries didn’t want me. I could carry almost two tonne more than their six wheelers as well which helped at times. Often he loaded me before the company trucks to get me a decent day, they didn’t mind as they were salaried anyway and I was on 27% of earnings. Downside was on small loads they only paid 15 tonne minimum haulage whereas Tarmac paid 17, and I did a lot of two tonne loads of tarmac for them, but what I lost in payload I gained on fuel used! Swings and roundabouts, they were happy days! :wink:

Pete.