ROI

Back in the 90s I drove a wagon and drag (traditional, not caravan) across NI doing several drops on the way, then cleared at the border before doing another in Letterkenny.

Had to go south from there to Galway, but met a low bridge on the way. There was a high load route posted towards Dublin so followed it. After a few miles and no other signs I asked directions and was diverted down a narrow lane to regain the Galway road. I met an 8 wheeler, fortunately on a bend where the hedges opened out so we could just squeeze by.

We stopped, cab to cab, engines off for a bit of the craic and after 10 minutes a gardai car pulled up behind him. We better move on I told him. ‘No need, sure he’ll wait till we’re finished’ he replied, and sure enough the cops turned off their engine too and waited patiently for 5 minutes before we moved on.

I had a similar experience in Dublin with a traffic warden. I love the Irish and their officialdom. Are they still the same? Somebody told me they had changed. I do hope not.