driving

can anybody tell me if there are any american companys that will employ british drivers and help with licence and work permit, i would like to drive in usa for ayear and then think about moving my wife and daughter out there with me permanenty, thanks zippy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry to dissapoint you zippy but you will find it very difficult to find anybody or any company that would be able to secure you a temp work visa as a driver over here in the States, the chanceā€™s of a permanent move would be even harder unless you have a blood relative over here. The reason most of us ex -pats are in the USA is because we have married americans.

Bully

I gotta askā€¦
It always bugs me to see people think the grass it greener elsewhere!
Most get a shock and wanna come home before they unpack the case!!

Whats up with old blightyā– ā– ?

TC:
I gotta askā€¦
It always bugs me to see people think the grass it greener elsewhere!
Most get a shock and wanna come home before they unpack the case!!

Whats up with old blightyā– ā– ?

Iā€™ll tell you why TC, I earn alot less than I ever did in the UK driving a truck but Iā€™m 10 times better of. We run 2 cars, have a huge house, pay $1.72 for a gallon of petrol and $2.95 for a packet of ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦poor and middle class people in the UK are being TAXED to death. Nothing will ever change over there no matter which party is running the country, Iā€™m sure that one day the USA will go the same way but for now Iā€™m making the most of it.
90% of Brits that visit the USA do so on a holiday and stay in Floridia or Vegas etc and get screwed with the tourist thing and dont get to see the real America. I would move back to the UK tomorrow given the chance but I know I could not get used to paying out the backside for everything after having it so easy over here. If you ever get the chance to move to the USA then stay out of the big cityā€™s and head out into the real America.

Bully

I too earn a lot less than I did back there but Kate and I are house hunting at the moment and about to buy (all being well) a very large 4 bedroom house that would cost about half a million in my old town of Towcester, the price here ;- $69,000, and we intend to get it for $60,000.

Land here is about $1,000 an acre, as opposed to about a million back there.

Ā£33333,Thats one dam cheap house pat,Iā€™m nearly paying that looking at prices for a used truck!!! :cry: Only thing is,Whats it made of,Brick or clapboard?

To Zippy,
Look for other posts here and on the ā€œArchiveā€ ex pats forum or do a search with ā€œharvestā€ as your key word and youā€™ll find plenty of advice about going to the midwest USA on a temp harvest visa to drive truck on the wheat harvest.Watch out for ā€œAllikatsā€ posts as she is out there on harvest at the minute!!

:laughing: :laughing: It may be only 33333 quid to you, but itā€™s $60,000 to me.
I have found a lot cheeper on our search, like the run down and in need of repair cabin on 5 acres for even less.

You canā€™t compare with prices back there, when i moved here I sold my house for cash to a lady from across the street for 75k (pounds), 4 years later is is on the market for 165k. Makes me feel sick

The house we are hoping for is a 4 bedroom, 2 family room, breakfast room, 2 bathroom victorian, creepy with a front porch, and get this ā€¦ itā€™s on ELM STREET :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Just had to ask and you know its coming,is the sellers name ā€œFreddieā€ by any chance :question: :laughing: :wink:

You know him :question: :question: :question: :question:
Last name ā€˜Krugerā€™ :question: :question:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That is why i was asking tc,because i am sick of working 70 plus hours and been taxed left right and center, and nothing to show for it :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :imp: :imp:

I understand that zippy! after all my Dad has moved to pastures new!

Some things are better else where that I have no doubt! but on the same foot some things are a whole lot worse!!!
Be careful what you dream for!! :wink:

TC:
I understand that zippy! after all my Dad has moved to pastures new!

Some things are better else where that I have no doubt! but on the same foot some things are a whole lot worse!!!
Be careful what you dream for!! :wink:

TC you have no ideaā€¦the USA will go down the same road as the UKā€¦TAX TAX TAX but not in my lifetimeā€¦you only have one shot in this life so Iā€™m in the best place and I owe Tony Blair NOTHING!!! so he can kiss my bits.

Bully
Left the sinking ship.

Good luck Bully, and I know what you mean about cheap housing in OH. Spent some time in Toledo once and I was amazed at the price of houses and how much land you can get. Didnā€™t see much zero lot line stuff.
I think Saginaw, OH is one of the cheapest places in the US for houses.
But Iā€™ll tell you, I stay away from Ohio as much as possible, those Bears and itā€™s like driving through molassesā€¦55mph!! Give me a break!! :unamused: :unamused: