Calor and its transport

bdph01:
Hi There, i am new to the forum and joined after reading with interest, your thread on Calor Gas and its transport.

I have recently purchased a Scammell Trunker MBD 271E, that is mentioned earlier in the thread, i hope to restore it to its former glory as it would have been when working for Calor.

I wonder if you can help me in identifying what colour scheme the scammell would have had? It appears to be red cab and wheels, with a grey chassis. Would you know what the paint codes are?

Also on your photo there is a number - 82177 would that have been its fleet No?

Sorry to be a nuisance with the questions but any help would be greatly received,

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave

I have a Calor Transport fleet list dated June 1968 and your Scammell Trunker 2 is listed. It was one of 15 Scammell tractor units on an E registration and all were plated at 32 tons. The number 82177 was the fleet number and the first 2 digits 82 identified it as a Scammell 6x2 twin steer 32 ton tractor unit. Your vehicle had a sister one registration MBD 270E, fleet number 82155. All vehicles were registered in Northamptonshire as the head office at that time for Calor Transport was in Rushden (where I worked).

Regards IAC