Ancliff Tankers Manchester

Arthur Weaver, Alfi Davies, Alex Reid were all originally on those rubber lined acid tankers but the tanks were getting old, the rubber linings were failing and the subsequent leaks were becoming beyond economic repair. I think it was at this time that Ancliff moved away from the acid job and moved more into the powder game. In the early 60’s we had a rep called Jack Bell, an ex driver, who was keen on pushing forward with powder vehicle contracts with ICI. His company vehicle was a big Morris Oxford. As you say, Arthur Weaver was a massive and very strong bloke yet softly spoken and seemingly mild mannered. Nobody said boo to him! I don’t remember what happened to him when the acid finished but Alfie and Alex ended up on the powder for a good while.
Nobby Clarke from Wythenshawe. I think he had a built up boot. ( and a very nice daughter!) I’ve seen a picture on here of him standing near the wash bay.
Albert Saudet once told me that he liked to play a trick on other drivers on Shap. He would pick up a roadside lady of the night on his way north up Shap and would wait until he saw the lights of a wagon coming down like the clappers, towards him, in out of stick overdrive. He would then have the lady in question bare her chest and just as the speeding oncoming truck drew near, he would switch on the cab light. He found it highly amusing to watch in his rear view mirror as the red lights of the disappearing wagon seemed to veer all over the place. Could be true knowing Albert! Through the traffic office window he was also always going on about the “■■■■■■■■■” and telling me to bring ten shillings and he would take me out on a visit to a den of iniquity(!) (My word there not his!! Have to be careful on here with the censors!.) As a gauche 17 year old I didn’t know what he was talking about which caused him much amusement.
I remember Georgie Maunders. A quiet bloke with slightly gingery fair hair.
Do you remember the Watts tyre man? He was a short, fat fellow who always seemed to be in blue overalls and wellingtons and would come from Warrington to do tyre repairs. He seemed to be there for years.
What was the name of the tank cleaner and his mate who used to start at 6am and do 12 hour shifts, seemingly 7 days a week. They both lived somewhere up in the hills near Todmoredon and always looked as though they never got any sleep. Which I don’t suppose they did doing those hours!