Pictures of old American Cabovers and other junk

pete 359:
hi all,
i know that alot of euro truck anoraks vomit when they see some yank iron,though you have to admit they do have a presence :sunglasses: .this mack was loading beams in costains for the section of m4 at the bottom of sarn bank.

Hi Andrew, nice shot of Tony’s Mack.
With reference to that black cabover with the home made sleeper/living quarters, it is an older motor probably 96’’ wide with a tilt cab. The sleeper is probably 102’’ wide as widths have increased over the years. It is difficult to see from the side view, but the lower section shows signs of a slight taper outwards.
As it happens there used to be overall length limits, and cabovers were in fashion when trailer lengths went from 45’ to 48’. but overall length stayed the same.
It was a long time ago, back in 1985 when I did my chauffers license, the forerunner to the CDL, commercial drivers license, but the old grey matter doesn’t remember the fine details.
Nowaday’s 53’ is the standard trailer length, 57’ being allowed in Florida with permits. In fact saw a 57’ footer I used to pull today with another contractor at Orlando’s main Postal distribution center.
I can not imagine what it would be like to drive that cabover around though!

Jimbo, California’s king pin to center of tandem axle is 40’.

Paul