I'm Here Now/!

Hello all. Just to introduce myself as a hopefully new LGV driver within the next month. Aged 51 with a full varied career background mainly involving working with other people - teaching psychology in adult education, forensic substance misuse nurse and more. However, could never settle and found being in one place all the time frustrating and stressful. Experience of driving includes a full clean licence for over 30 years and quite a bit of experience driving 7.5 ton Ford Cargo’s delivering carpets and floorcoverings nationwide for a company in Wetherby in the 1990’s. The only job I actually enjoyed. Some folk are saying I’m an idiot for leaving a secure job but the stress and responsibility began to affect my health. I know some of you long time drivers might be thinking here comes another newbie wearing rose tinted specs but I’ve done a lot of research and I think it’s a brave move in the current climate. I’m training with Peter Smythe’s company starting in a couple of weeks. I am a bit nervous but I’m impressed at the support you all give each other. So Hello to you all and have a safe and enjoyable week. Fairsky :slight_smile:

Peter will put you right on the industry, and having an understanding of psychology will certainly help you.

I imagine you at the window of an RDC, rubbing your chin and saying: “Hmm very interesting” to the baboon on the other side of the glass :laughing:

By the way, you are mad, but I didn’t realise it was contagious :laughing:

:laughing: Thanks for that wheelnut. Cheered me up and stopped me ruminating on how broke I am. :slight_smile:

Fair play Fairsky

You have definately gone to the right place. Peter has a knowledge of how to pass this test that most can only dream about. I am sure he passes that knowledge onto all the trainers.

Your experience of psychology will only help you. Passing the test is around 50% ability and the rest is about self belief and an understanding of the examiner’s requirements. Make sure you know these or a pass is unlikely

Work on the psychology of the test. For decades now I truly believe this is the key to passing 1st time.

Keep the faith

John
Flair Training

Hi Fairsky,…welcome to the forum, you will find all the info you need and much more on here, enjoy your training, you might even consider giving us all a training diary to read during your training :wink:.

Have fun and enjoy the training, take it nice and easy.

John.

Welcome to you
look forward to reading your diary

Jen x

Fairsky:
Hello all. Just to introduce myself …

Hi Fairsky,

Glad to have you aboard!!

In case there’s something that you’re not sure about… please don’t hesitate to ask. :smiley:

Many thanks for your encouragement Diesel Dave, Driver John, Jennie and LGV. Two weeks to go now and I’ll let you know what happens :laughing: Cheers Paul

Hi and welcome Paul,
You will enjoy your training with Peter, his staff are great and Ist class,I was over 60 when I took my class 2 with him and have never been happier being on the road.Peter will also point you in the right direction as regards employment as well,if you are local to Mansfield there are a couple of companies that will give you a chance to gain experiance in class 2 work.I have no doubt that you will pass first time the hardest part for me was getting used to the gear box on Petes Lorry.All the routes you drive with him are the routes that the examiner could possibly take you on your test so there will be no surprises on your test day as you will of already driven them many times.Good luck and you will soon recoup your outlay when you start work.

Wheel Nut:
I imagine you at the window of an RDC, rubbing your chin and saying: “Hmm very interesting” to the baboon on the other side of the glass :laughing:

I went to Lidal in Bridgend, God it was a nightmare over 4 hours to tip and get my paperwork,they just arn’t bothered and seem to be in never never land.I was offered the same run yesterday but declined it and took Bath and Bristol instead nice and easy to tip and no waiting for paperwork lol

Many thanks Brian thats lifted the confidence of an ‘older newbie.’ I think it will probably be the gears that will give me most problems at first. But then again I wouldn’t be training if I thought I wasn’t up to it. Over 30 years driving experience, some of it with 7.5 ton Ford Cargo’s must help in some way. I think I’ve picked a good company as well judging from my research. Enjoy you’re weekends all. :slight_smile:

Hi Brian

Most people who have driven stuff bigger than cars get concerned about gears. That’s because it’s the “unknown”. You’ve already had experience with keeping a truck on the tarmac and you’re used to the relatively noisy environment so it’s the gears that are foreign to you.

It’s high on our list of priorities as you won’t be able to do or learn anything else until the gears are sorted. This takes anywhere between 3 minutes and and an hour to get to a point where the mistakes are manageable. Perfection takes a little longer.

Out of interest, failing on gears can be avoided most of the time if you’ve got the confidence to sort yourself out quickly. Eg trying to move away in 7th isn’t accepted as good practice but the truck will shudder along. All you have to do is to slip it into 5th and wont consitute a fail. Grind to a halt and panic - you’ve failed.

You have the benefit of learning on a very low mileage vehicle which has no “fishing” involved for gears. Indeed, my demonstration features gear changing with one finger. Granted I’ve had a lot of practice but that can’t be done with an old knackered gearbox.

I wish you a good weekend as well - - I’m stuck at home with my feet up. Tough job but someone’s gotta do it!! All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all! I’m pleased to see the post from Fairsky and all the positive responses that have been made. I’m also a 51 year old newbie just about to embark on C and, hopefully, C+E training (medical passed, D2 sent off, etc) in the next few weeks. Leaving a relatively secure situation and moving into a new livelihood can be daunting and can cause raised eyebrows among those around you but I’d rather have a go now and aim to succeed than regret in ten years that I hadn’t bothered…

Like Fairsky I’ll post the training diary which will probably veer between great hilarity or complete horror!!

Cheers,

Laz