WHAT is classed as DRIVING?

Please could somebody clear this up for me.My boss at Hanbury has told me that if the engine is running it is classed as driving,but other drivers have said that it is only driving if the wheels of the truck are in motion.I drive a M.A.N TGA and have been using the computer on board in the dash(tripometer)for the last week which adds up DRIVE TIME but it only works if the wheels are in motion,is this wrong :confused: because surely if you are in traffic you are stopping and starting all the time and just because you are stopped surely does not mean that you are not driving as you are behind the wheel and in charge of the vehicle :confused: :confused:

It may or it may not I dont know.

The tachograph only records driving when the wheels are moving so it doesnt really matter as the only proof of driving will be on your tacho.

However I operate te Hiab with the engine running so will tippers and any other truck running with the pto and I dont class that as driving (cos im not in the cab either)

The regulations define driving like this.

Driving

This is being at the driving controls of a vehicle for the purpose of controlling its movement, whether it is moving or stationary with the engine running.

Think that explains it quite clearly and confirms that you were right and your boss and the other drivers are wrong.

Maybe your boss needs a refresher course on the rules. :wink: :smiley:

So yes, if you are sat in a traffic jam then you are still driving even if you are stationery.

Good Post even for us old â– â– â– â– â–  to read!

I have an hour guard and a Renault with the trip timer built in the dash. I also have a prototype digital tacho / satellite communications which talks French and gives 15 minute warnings before a rest is required

The problem is trying to keep them in synch, I try to use the Hour Guard to record driving and break time but sometimes I confuse myself if I am stuck in a long traffic jam or stop for directions and forget to stop the timer!

Some Tachographs can be set up to record when the PTO is running or even if trailer doors are opened. I believe there can be 3 extra functions marked on a tacho card for this

Wheel Nut:
The problem is trying to keep them in synch, I try to use the Hour Guard to record driving and break time but sometimes I confuse myself if I am stuck in a long traffic jam or stop for directions and forget to stop the timer!

I use the stopwatch on my mobile phone but I also forget to stop/start it sometimes thats why I started to use the DRIVE TIME part in the dash but like I say this only records time when the wheels are turning.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me.

Wheel Nut:
Good Post even for us old â– â– â– â– â–  to read!

…Some Tachographs can be set up to record when the PTO is running or even if trailer doors are opened. I believe there can be 3 extra functions marked on a tacho card for this

Good point Wheel nut. I don’t suppose the mixer drivers would be to chuffed at having their working time while loading and unloading the mixer when by necessity the engine must be running to turn the pot.

When charts are analysed the driving time is when the wheels are in motion, as they have no way of knowing if the engine is running or not, it also gives the driver the benifit of doupt & every chance to stay legal.
But legal definition is as above.

I follow the timings on my Driver Hour Guard and ignore the dash timer in my Renault.
I have noticed on occasion that the two timers can be up to half an hour different. Especially if caught in a traffic jam, or using busy roads with lots of traffic lights. Some of our drivers though use the dash timer, and say they have never had a problem with their hours being questioned after the discs were analysed. Personally I will carry on the way I am and if I loose some driving time at least I know that my licence is safe :laughing:

lets put it another way,if your parked up at the side of the road with the engine ticking over and you are on the mobile phone and the police pass you and see your on the phone with engine running they will book you as you are still classed as driving,so the engine must be switched off.just a tip for all the new drivers out there.be aware :wink:

I always switch the engine off & throw the switch to break when stuck in stationary traffic . if its under 15 minutes of standing then its not a break from driving, but its still not counted as driving, other work etc.
Once I even logged a full 45 minutes whilst stuck in the traffic jam from hell & 15 minutes + is often taken.
Its legal & just makes the rest of the day easier to work following lost time.