Finally Taking the Plunge

Hi

Well as some of you know I passed class 1 in January and since then have had couple of job offers. Well i have been offered another the money seems to be ok and I get my own tractor unit. The only snag is that it is constant nights and I have to sleep in the cab in the day. But hey every job has a downside so I am going resign tomorrow from my present job and start driving in four weeks. Cant wait at last I will be driving.

Mike:
Hi

Well as some of you know I passed class 1 in January and since then have had couple of job offers. Well i have been offered another the money seems to be ok and I get my own tractor unit. The only snag is that it is constant nights and I have to sleep in the cab in the day. But hey every job has a downside so I am going resign tomorrow from my present job and start driving in four weeks. Cant wait at last I will be driving.

Y CAN’T YOU GO HOME AND SLEEP IF YOUR BACK AT BASE?

I’D THINK TWICE B4 HANDING IN YOUR NOTICE MIKE.LOOK ELSE WHERE FOR A JOB THAT ALLOWS YOUR TIME OFF TO BE YOUR TIME OFF,NOT AT THE BECK AND CALL OF THE TRANSPORT OFFICE.ABSOLUTELY NO DANGER WOULD I STAY IN THE BACK OF A UNIT IF I WAS BACK AT BASE,NOT FOR ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD.IF THAT WAS THE CASE THE COMPANY WOULD BE TOLD SHOVE THE JOB WHERE THE SUN DON’T SHINE. :wink: :wink:

i have to agree with kitkat on that one mike,sounds like something better won`t be hard to find mate. :wink:

I dont understand! Whats the difference between working nights or days,

The Job, I do,did was nights and I had to sleep in the truck during the day.

Whats the problem?

I don’t see a problem either! :exclamation:

The only problem I can see is working nights!
Nights are for sleeping and unless they made an offer that I could not refuse, I will continue to sleep durring the night!

the problem tc and wn is this…if this guy mike is back at base and finished his niteshift why should he have to stay in the cab when he can go home?would you two stay in cab rather than go home to your own comforts?if back at base.i know i wouldn’t and if you want to say different then i’m sorry but its a sad state of life if you would rather stop in the back of a unit than go home.

he will be at the beck and call of the traffic office,he will be getting disturbed with traffic in and out of depot, he has to go out in the rain etc after having shower/bath to go to his bed.this is different if your out all week like the lads on here,its expected that you live life this way and they all know this prior to taking the job.but when your on a job that starts and finishes at the depot its a disgrace.and i’m saddened to here two top class1 drivers agreeing with this companies work policy.i know that you tc would rather be at home with you good lady and the little gem of a son you’s have and i can’t understand why you have come out of with that statement.wn i only know you through pm’s that i have exchanged with your goodself but to say that this is ok to stop in a unit whilst back at base and close to home is beyond me.i hope mike that you have a life outside just now my friend but if you take this job on then forget your life. :angry:

I can not see anywhere where he said he had to sleep in the yard!
I think we have crossed wires Jim

What I think he was saying is that the job is a tramping one but driving at nights rather than durring the days! this would be because of delievery times ect! but when your driving time is up you gotta have your daily rest so he would have no choice but to sleep in the truck durring the day!

THIS IS TRUE TC HE DON’T MENTION IT.BUT THE WAY HE IS DESCRIBING THE JOB IS THAT ITS BACK TO BASE,NEVER MENTIONED TRAMPING OR ANYTHING.I DON’T MEAN TO OFFEND YOU OR WN.BUT I WISH IF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO PUT THREADS UP ABOUT NEW JOBS ETC.PLEASE EXPLAIN IF ITS TRAMPING,TRUNCKING OR WHAT EVER.WE AIN’T MIND READERS MIKE. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I understand what you are saying Jim! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

but you gotta bare in mind mate that most newly qualified drivers still don’t know the terms Trunking, Tramping etc maybe us old hats should try and think about what it was like when we 1st started!

regardeless I still wouldn’t do tramping on nights! its hard enough getting a bit of peace and quiet at night never mind during the day. :imp: :imp: :cry: :cry:

TC:
regardeless I still wouldn’t do tramping on nights! its hard enough getting a bit of peace and quiet at night never mind during the day. :imp: :imp: :cry: :cry:

which is exactly what i meant when i said something better wont be hard to find. :unamused:

Sorry but think I may have not made myself clear the job is night trunking between different depots. You don’t get back to the yard in the morning you park and sleep in the unit where ever you end up. I have read what you all have said and take on board what you say. I am quite happy to do this to attain experience which all employers seem to want. I haver resigned and have accepted the job. The thing is I can earn double doing this than I could working for a firm at heathrow doing a sixty hour week. I have been told that I can more than likely get home at least once a week. The only problem I see is working nights. As someone said whats the difference between sleeping in the cab in the night or day. Plus i get my own unit. I know there is probably better out there but it is getting it without the experience. I can wait to start.

IMHO sleeping in the truck during the day would appear to have one advantage, I would think it would be less likely that you would suffer any theft/damage etc due to there being more people around.
PS get some earplugs :smiley:

My apologies for not being upto speed on the terms tramping and trunking.

But Kitkat I don’t see the need to shout.

I thought this was the New and Wannabe forum. I wouild take this to mean that those of us who are new to trucking and want to drive are looking for guidance and advice not criticism.

Kitkat I am wondering if you are one of these drivers that I have read about on this site that sit in their cab and find it amusing watching someone who is having difficulty in reversing onto a bay. I apologise if I have got you wrong, but you cant blame me when you speak to a newbbie like that.

Nowhere did I say that I went back to the yard in the morning.

In my present job I am paid an allowance which allows my present employer to have me at his beck and call working any time day or night and for as long as they want it is not unusual for me to work at least 16 plus hours. I have evenworked 24hours straight with out any break apart from a toilet break and maybe to quickly grab a bite. I am lucky if Imore than an eight hour break.

Yep Mike you have got KitKat wrong!! :open_mouth: :confused:

Kitkat will do you a good turn before he will do you a bad turn!!!

on forums its easy to get the wrong end of the stick! and give honerst advice to new drivers when asked! here at TruckNet you will find all the replies are good honerst answers…you will learn that not all are correct… because we all do things in a slightly diferent way and like different conditions!!

No doubt in time to come you will be giving advice here on TruckNet in the same manner, thats the fun of this forum!!

:confused: Mike, I think Kitkat misunderstood your original post slightly.

You may find the earplugs idea from kalm2kaos is a good 'un. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I use Muffles Wax Earplugs.(Boots own brand, light green box, 5 pairs in a box).

After a few weeks, you will find you can get to sleep without them !

Good Luck with the new job. :wink:

Yes you got KitKat wrong mike :stuck_out_tongue:

Apart from being from over the border that is :laughing:

I have some second hand earplugs for sale if you want them! Im sure they could be washed, they are only stained a little at one end.

Good luck with the new job

My apologies to Kitkat for getting him wrong and once again my apologies for not explaining myself clearly.

Maybe one day I will find myself giving advice on this forum that others do not agree with. Until then I will continue to listen and take advice from everyone on the forum that takes the time to give it.

Once again Kitkat i apologise for getting you wrong. I do not mean to offend anyone and it seems that everyone thinks your a good guy. Although I dont know any of you personally I will take you word for it

Mmm, as you can see, it is very easy to take things the wrong way using these, but looks like you guys are sorted now. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I know its a bit late with this post… (As all my others are now… :blush: :blush: ) but it sounds like your looking forward to your new job.

Wish you all the very best of luck with it mate, I really do… Go get 'em tiger!!.. :wink:

Mike:
Sorry but think I may have not made myself clear the job is night trunking between different depots. You don’t get back to the yard in the morning you park and sleep in the unit where ever you end up. I have read what you all have said and take on board what you say. I am quite happy to do this to attain experience which all employers seem to want. I haver resigned and have accepted the job. The thing is I can earn double doing this than I could working for a firm at heathrow doing a sixty hour week. I have been told that I can more than likely get home at least once a week. The only problem I see is working nights. As someone said whats the difference between sleeping in the cab in the night or day. Plus i get my own unit. I know there is probably better out there but it is getting it without the experience. I can wait to start.

mike.i have just read your posts and i apologise for thinking that you where back at base after your shift.after reading the post above i can now understand your job alot better.i know many a guy that does this sort of job and sleep in our car park out of the road where they won’t get disturbed. :wink: :wink: :wink:

yes you have got me wrong mate and apology accepted as i hope mines is to,but it helps others if the job is explained as you did above.i ain’t one to sit and watch others struggle weather they are newbies as you are or if they are an old hand at this job,we are never to old to learn or to take advise from anyone.

mike i am like yourself i don’t know anyone personnelly on these forums,you go with your instincs on these forums and you can tell the ones that are good guys,i still have yet to find a bad one on these forum’s,they all give advise and as said b4 it might be worded different but it all means the same thing.

we also have our views on each subject up here,we might not agree with each other but that is life my friend.all you need to do as wheelnut said in one thread some time ago is filter through the answer’s and pick out the ones that suits your question and disreguard the rest.it’s as simple as that mike.

well mike i hope to speak to you soon and i hope the job is working out fine for you and that your still enjoying it as much as we do,so good luck and keep us informed on how your job is going. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Kitkat apology accepted.

Thanks for the wishes will let you know how I get on.