Assessment... I think.. Start Monday...!

I passed my cat C on 15th Oct and only got my licence back yesterday(5 weeks). A mix up and lack of communication between DSA and DVLA.
I was chomping at the bit to start my CE training but could not because no licence, anyway i was just about to go book my CE course and saw a job advertised for experienced class 2 driver. It’s a permanent position, no agencies. I called up expecting to be told to go away as I have no experience and only just passed my test.
I just rambled for a while and said let me come for an assessment, shunting or whatever, the result is I was asked to go and see him tomorrow at 12…!
So I dont know what I’ll be doing, formal interview, assessment, washing the cups up etc…

They have a few scania rigids and I want to know what sort of gearboxes they are, and how to use them…!
I’ve only used range change, with a switch on the gear stick…

Thanks…

What size scania rigids ■■ - if 18 tonners then a straight 6 is possible or a range change like you did when training which could be 4 over 4 or 3 over 3 - if 3 over 3 please don’t do what I kept doing - going for 4th in low !!! :laughing: :laughing:

you’ll easy handle the gearbox and if different from above then the assessor will put you right - they may expect you to ask though so don’t be shy or try to bluff it.

Thanks Rog…

Just sussed a range change box is 3 over 3 or 4 over 4…! :blush:

I would not try and BLUFF it …

Be totaly honest as a new driver they are giving you a chance by means of an assesment be 100% Honest.

Thanks for the replys…

Well, I turned up at 10 to 12, had a smoke and went in…

I was asked to fill in an application and wait. A few minutes later I’m taken to another room and told Maxine would be along shortly…and she was.
She read the application and I gave her a brief history of my working life, she managed to stay awake and told me about the company, why they were looking for a driver and what I could expect. I asked a few questions like do you have a high turnover of drivers? (No. Gave a run down of years various drivers had been there). Would you put me through a class 1 course? (Yes. After six months).
They said they have no problem with taking on new drivers as they can train them to their way of doing things.

I was offered the job and start on Monday…(2 week trial to start)
The money’s not great but the experience could be priceless. Its 20 mins away, Mon to Fri, Odd night out, past my Dads house to drop the dog off and its permanant.
I’ll be with another driver on Monday haulin muck from one place to another,Tuesday following the same driver in my own wagon. They run tippers, Skip lorries, low loaders, road sweepers, grab lorries, flat beds, in rigid and artic.
The second week I’ll be on grabs and then…■■ Did’nt even have to do a test drive…

No more jobs available at the moment…

Wish me luck…!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Only passed my class 2 on Oct 15 and had my licence for 4 days…

Pleased for ya - well done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

well done! and the added bonus of a possible class 1 course and test is even better.

all i got to do is carry on saving the pennies and get my class 2 done.

Thanks guys… :slight_smile:

If you can afford it charlie bear then go for it…
You never know your luck …

Excellent news mate !

Sorry I’m a bit late joining in with the congratulations - up to the eyes which is always good! Really pleased to hear your news Steve and hope you remind them where you did your CAT C when it comes to CE. You could pm letting me know where you are working - always interesting. All the very best with it. Happy to help with any problems but preferably not at 4 in the morning!!

Have fun :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the congratulations Peter…

I was just leaving to book my CE with you and checked the job centre site for one last time and called for the offered job… The rest of the story is above… Would’nt have got this far without you and Chris so thanks again, please tell Chris of my good fortune.
Was looking forward to doing the CE with Chris but looking forward to a wage packet even more!! :smiley:

When the time comes and given the choice I’ll be doing CE with Peter Smythe Transport Training :wink:

See you when you’re ready Steve. All the best with it - keep in touch. Happy to help with any snags. :laughing: :laughing:

jammy git! why dont you see if you can get your grab ticket too! :grimacing:

Well thats it…

Two week trial now over, got my own wagon and officially start work on Monday morning at 6.30…!! :smiley: :smiley:

Taking a 32x10ft slice (part of a pre-fab building) down to Southend. Its 1 of 6 going down at 1 hour intervals (TM said I could follow second wagon and go down together to give me a bit more confidence).
The first weeks trail I was originally to be on tipper work but got put on transport double manned, mainly cabins, plant and machinery. I got a crash course in securing the above with chains and straps and was driving for 2 1/2 days, tight reverses, loads of rear swing out, and tricky parking.

The second week I was out with another driver also doing transport but on a bigger beaver tail wagon, although I didn’t get to drive I learnt a hell of a lot by talking, questioning and watching.
I used the hiab most days and couldn’t have wished for two better drivers to be with during the trial.
Have to say that all the lads I spoke to were very helpfull and had lots of time, not turning their noses up at the newbie. The [zb]s won’t tell me my nick name though…!

Got back to the yard about 2 this afternoon and TM told be to put my gear in a wagon and go and load the slice and bring it back ready for Monday morning…
So my first solo trip was with loads of overhang, 10ft wide , loads of bunting and flashing ambers front and rear…!
Spent most of the time looking in my mirrors.! Pedestrians, sign posts, lights, parked cars… My heart was beating double time…

My oh my what a great feeling, people flashing you through, kids pointing etc…
Really looking forward to Monday and got my fingers crossed it all goes well…

Do I get to post in the profess :smiley: ional drivers forum come Monday night…■■?

Sounds like the old style way of learning - GREAT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You can post in the PDF anytime you want to - no apprentice time limit :wink: :laughing:

Keep up the blog on this thread so I can follow your progress please - I am enjoying it

Well done Steve and all the best for the safe delivery of the “slice”. So now you know why you were constantly nagged - mirrors, mirrors, and yet more mirrors!!!

So pleased it’s paying off for you.

Keep in touch :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys… :smiley:

Forgot to mention Peter, The driver I was out with during the second week passed his class 2 with you 20-25 years ago…!

When you could get in the cab unaided :wink: :wink: :smiley:

Well done and good luck on your own.

Forgot to mention Peter, The driver I was out with during the second week passed his class 2 with you 20-25 years ago…!

Must be doing something right then I s’pose!

When you could get in the cab unaided :wink: :wink: :smiley:

bxxxxxxxxxx!! :laughing: :laughing: