Assessment.... I think....Start Monday..!

I passed my cat C on 15th Oct and only got my licence back yesterday(5 weeks). A mix up and lack of communication between DSA and DVLA.
I was chomping at the bit to start my CE training but could not because no licence, anyway i was just about to go book my CE course and saw a job advertised for experienced class 2 driver. It’s a permanent position, no agencies. I called up expecting to be told to go away as I have no experience and only just passed my test.
I just rambled for a while and said let me come for an assessment, shunting or whatever, the result is I was asked to go and see him tomorrow at 12…!
So I dont know what I’ll be doing, formal interview, assessment, washing the cups up etc…

They have a few scania rigids and I want to know what sort of gearboxes they are, and how to use them…!
I’ve only used range change, with a switch on the gear stick…

Thanks…

STEVECB1300:
I passed my cat C on 15th Oct and only got my licence back yesterday(5 weeks). A mix up and lack of communication between DSA and DVLA.
I was chomping at the bit to start my CE training but could not because no licence, anyway i was just about to go book my CE course and saw a job advertised for experienced class 2 driver. It’s a permanent position, no agencies. I called up expecting to be told to go away as I have no experience and only just passed my test.
I just rambled for a while and said let me come for an assessment, shunting or whatever, the result is I was asked to go and see him tomorrow at 12…!
So I dont know what I’ll be doing, formal interview, assessment, washing the cups up etc…

They have a few scania ridgids and I want to know what sort of gearboxes they are, and how to use them…!
I’ve only used range change, with a switch on the gear stick…

Thanks…

dont worry to much, if he knows you just passed your test he will no you aint driven many, be confident and also ask questions if your gonna bluff it, then bluff it well

Thanks dustylfc…

Think your right, he knows Im a newbie…

good luck with assesment -scanias are a four over four range change easy to master after a few mins

STEVECB1300:
Thanks dustylfc…

Think your right, he knows Im a newbie…

good luck with everythink if its a well paids job and it looks like he is starting cool off on interview it may sound stupid and if you can afford it say you will do a week trial show initiative but not be desperate he will understand your keen and may go for it cos all said and done the job may not suit you either, but i would still do my class 1, also if he has tractor units there mention your planning on doing your test for class 1 end of the day he is only human and little suggestions may get you the job, ( dont be hard faced though at interview) :laughing:

Thanks for the replys…

Well, I turned up at 10 to 12, had a smoke and went in…

I was asked to fill in an application and wait. A few minutes later I’m taken to another room and told Maxine would be along shortly…and she was.
She read the application and I gave her a brief history of my working life, she managed to stay awake and told me about the company, why they were looking for a driver and what I could expect. I asked a few questions like do you have a high turnover of drivers? (No. Gave a run down of years various drivers had been there). Would you put me through a class 1 course? (Yes. After six months).
They said they have no problem with taking on new drivers as they can train them to their way of doing things.

I was offered the job and start on Monday…(2 week trial to start)
The money’s not great but the experience could be priceless. Its 20 mins away, Mon to Fri, Odd night out, past my Dads house to drop the dog off and its permanant.
I’ll be with another driver on Monday haulin muck from one place to another,Tuesday following the same driver in my own wagon. They run tippers, Skip lorries, low loaders, road sweepers, grab lorries, flat beds, in rigid and artic.
The second week I’ll be on grabs and then…■■ Did’nt even have to do a test drive…

No more jobs available at the moment…

Wish me luck…!! :smiley: :smiley:

Only passed my class 2 on Oct 15 and had my licence for 4 days…

well done. and give my love to skegby. my home town :smiley: although ive not seen it for 20yrs +

Looks like you’ve landed on your feet there bud, well worth giving it a go even if it’s just for the experience and/or a stepping stone to your class 1.

If they show you how to work the tippers/grabs/skip loaders that’ll be useful experience for any future jobs :slight_smile:

well done fella try get on the grab first get another thing under your belt then, the pay may not be good but 12 months down the line you may be experienced on all types of transport and become more employable with better company’s, as for the wages your never going to be a millionaire driving for any company but better than office or flipping burgers good luck keep us posted

Thanks guys…

Yep, from being on here and looking at the current situation for the last few months I know I’ve got lucky and gonna make the most of it…

r slicker:
well done. and give my love to skegby. my home town :smiley: although ive not seen it for 20yrs +

I’m only back 3 years after being away in Germany and Ireland for over 20 years r slicker, and skegbys still the same only less work and less money around… The greyhound and the maypole are still open with the same decor…! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: