Double Manning- Tacho Operation

Help!!

I’m going to be doing some double manning work on Monday, and have no idea how to use a tacho on double manning. I know that the tachos have two mode switches, one for each driver, but does it matter who uses which one as long as it is kept the same throughout the journey?

How do you fill in the tacho? Are you using one Tacho each in which case where do you put the one for the driver not driving, or is it one disk for the two of you, in which case how do you put both names on it?

I’m really stuck on this one and don’t want to look a total idiot in front of my co-driver, a total idiots guide would be much appreciated!

Mike.

My information is not definitive, so don’t rely on it…

I’d use 1 tacho disk per driver. When you switch drivers, switch disks. Record break information (and reason why vehicle mileage has changed while disk not in) on back of disk.

The law requires you to carry all your disks for the current week, and the last day of the previous week. What happens if you’re driving different vehicles the next day? Who gets the (shared) disk?

I’ve never understood why some tachos have two mode switches, when you take the above into account.

hi mm

I’m going to be doing some double manning work on Monday, and have no idea how to use a tacho on double manning. I know that the tachos have two mode switches, one for each driver, but does it matter who uses which one as long as it is kept the same throughout the journey?

both driver’s need to fill out cards.on your tacho head there is a flap,the one thats not driving puts his tacho behind the flap.that then records he his on duty.the driver puts his in as normal.
after your driving stint is up you swap the tachos over so the one that was driving is now shown as resting.fill your tacho out as normal.

the person who is not driving may put his tacho on break whilst the vehicle is moving but you may not take your daily rest in a moving vehicle.

have two mode switches, one for each driver, but does it matter who uses which one

the driver who is not driving uses mode switch num2 which doesnot record driving.the driver uses mode switch num1 which records everything.

I’m really stuck on this one and don’t want to look a total idiot in front of my co-driver, a total idiots guide would be much appreciated!

if this guy as double manned before dont hessitate to ask you won’t look a idiot.after all people have to learn form some where

jon

Jonboy, where is this flap you mention? How exactly do i find it? Xcuse the total NooB here!

The flap is on the head where the chart goes. If you open the head & look at the part you place your cart onto it lifts & the No 2 chart goes here.
When you change drivers you change over the charts. So the top chart is always the driver & the lower chart is always the passenger.
Also do not forget that whilst in the passenger seat you are either resting or on Square ,other types of work not crossed hammers, other work.

I’m sorry, I’m really confused. I open the head, and there is a flap? Do i,lift the little pear shaped thingy and place the passenger chart under that, and then the drivers chart goes onto the pear shaped thingy, or does the passenger chart just go under the driver chart so the driver chart is contacting the pen thingy? Switch 1 is always driver, Switch 2 always passenger yes? So therfore Switch 2 would always be on rest?

Help!

Sorry my fault, poor use of words. The flap is the part of the head you place the drivers chart on ( the chart table.)
When you open the head, the " chart bed" opens up allowing you to place a second chart on the centre boss, the pear shaped thing.
Place the passengers chart in, recording (green) face up as per normal, then close the bed & insert drivers chart.

Ok I’m getting this.

I open the tacho, and then there is a further section which opens. Which way does it open?

I place the passenger tacho into the bit which is revealed, then close the flap, place the drivers tacho onto the centre boss as if for 1 man operation, close and lock the head and then operate as normal, but ensuring Mode 2 is on rest yep?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Michael,
The Driver 2 mode switch records everything EXCEPT driving periods.
So,for instance,if you were just RESTING in the cab(whether moving or not)then yes,leave it on break.But if you arrived at a drop and you were not driving,then you would have to change the Driver 2 mode switch to “OTHER WORK” (square with diagonal line) to record the correct activity.

Hope this makes things clearer for you.

Dan.

P.S: Where in Hampshire are you based?

But if i arrived at a drop and was waiting, I would still be leaving it on rest yeah? Beacuse I wouldn’t be working?

Michael,
No,because waiting time is regarded as OTHER WORK.

Dan.

Ok thats crazy,

I could park up at a motorway services and be classed as break, or be parked in the yard of a DC and be doing other work, despite actually doing exactly the same thing- sitting on my arse!
:unamused:
Fareham, Dan.

Crazy it may sound,but that’s the law for you!! :smiley: :smiley:

Dan

Fareham,know it well. Deliver to Makro,the CO-OP and Batley’s regular.Also doing class 1 training round Fareham. :slight_smile:

Sorry Dan aka Boo, but waiting time should not be regarded as other work, it should other availability/other types of work.
Article 15. E C. 3821/85
Under the sign of diagonally crossed square: other periods of avalabillity, namely:

• Waiting time,i.e. the period during which drivers need to remain at thier posts only for the purpose of answering any calls to start or resume driving or carry out other work.
    But then who is going to know that you were not doing other work during this period.

Agreed Alan,but I was trying to explain that waiting time is not regarded as rest periods,right? :slight_smile:
But like you say,who’s gonna know?At some RDC’s you can have a full 11 hours rest period waiting to get tipped :laughing: :laughing:

Dan.

Who you training Class 1 with Dan? Watch out for the right hander into Trinity Street, the dent on the bollards was me!

Actualy it’s left! maybe thats why theres a dent!

Michael,
My training is with A1 roadcraft of Salisbury,but because the test is taking place at Botley,my instructor is taking me round the usual “test” routes which can include Fareham.

Trinity St.? You mean when you come up from West St and turn right into Osborn Rd?That is a bit tight although you can get round if you stay left in Trinity St and hug the unit against the triangle as you turn right. It’s the double bend at the other end of Osborn Rd that caution is needed!!

Dan.

Micheal.

Just to add a little more confusion you may come across some tachos that have 2 slots in the front (Kienzle is one make that readily springs to mind) no flaps just 2 distinct slots.

As above though you need to change discs when you change drivers. Driver 1 is the man/woman holding the wheel driver 2 is the man/woman doubling up the crew. Don’t know if it is strictly necessary but on the few occassions that I’ve double manned I add a note of the time, on the back of the charts, when I changed drivers.

Guys!

Thanks for all this. I’ve now succesfully worked out two different tachos on double manning. Well, I assume i got it right, they both came out with little squiggles on them!

Mike