Double manning

Did my first double manned job since about 1990 yesterday.

Both put digicards in as you’re supposed to.

Tacho would only record POA on position 2 when vehicle was moving.

I thought it was legal to take a break as second man in a moving vehicle.?

Tacho wouldnt let us change the mode except when stationary and then as soon as we moved it automatically switched to POA.Is this normal or a fault.

Double manning is not a normal thing but I am now responsible for training new drivers on bulk and blower work, so this may mean double manning occasionaly. need to know in case tacho head is U/S.
thanks

its what they do, its not defective

Thanks for that kindle, so I need to do a printout and mark on back that it should be break not POA

bit of a PIA !

the first 45 mins of poa counts as a break when double manning so no need to do print out and write on back.

Harlow_wannabe:
the first 45 mins of poa counts as a break when double manning so no need to do print out and write on back.

This ^

now i understand…so why didnt this get mentioned last month when I did the tachobit of the dcpc :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

toowise:
now i understand…so why didnt this get mentioned last month when I did the tachobit of the dcpc :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

because quite a number of people doing the training, don’t actually know what they are talking about :unamused:

Apparantly the guy our company uses is a regional transport manager for a multi-national aggragate, building materials and transport company. (thats what he told us anyway :open_mouth: )

Right at this very moment as Coffeeholic is wiggling down the M6 with me restrained in the passenger seat my card is in hole two, and I am currently 15 minutes into my break while the tacho is recording POA for me. According to Coffeeholic no need for a printout as it will be clear your card is recording in slot 2 .

Sent from the jump seat of a AXOR using Tapa-talk !

I did a shift of digitacho double manning this year, both printouts came out as Driver 1 :unamused: Neither of us had seen this before so we printed out two copies of each. I thought at the time it was just us being numpties but it seems not now.

When they changed the double manning hours (duty time from 22-21hrs ) why didn’t they also introduce a rule so that the 21hrours could only be used 3 times a week, just like the 15->13 hr duty time on single manned ? not being funny but working upto 21 hrs in any 30 hours does become a bit too much at times particularly you are not able to get much quality sleep you only get 9hrs off , & most times you can spend 2hrs of that getting a shower and having a meal & or also cooking it, before you think about sleeping , no wonder why we truck drivers seem prone to putting on the weight eating just before we have a sleep

Toomy t,and trying to sleep in the heat in the day time ,in a noisy truck park.

toby1234abc:
Toomy t,and trying to sleep in the heat in the day time ,in a noisy truck park.

Underneath the flight path to and from a busy international airport,lol may as well try sleeping in the blitz

tommy t:
When they changed the double manning hours (duty time from 22-21hrs ) why didn’t they also introduce a rule so that the 21hrours could only be used 3 times a week, just like the 15->13 hr duty time on single manned ?

The 15 hours duty time isn’t three times a week, it’s three times between weekly rests so you can do it 6 times a week.

I know what you mean,and no amount of caffeine,6 litres of coffee,Red Bull,V,will not keep you awake when required to be on duty again,by the time you have woken up,the caffeine kicks in when it is time to rest and go to sleep again.Eye balls wide open when trying to sleep.

Or do the double manned shift I am doing now, 9 hours at most this week and loads of time in the jump seat. Problem solved.

Hi all please bear with me as new to the site. I was watching Eddie stobart on telly and it showed drivers double manning and while one drove the other slept on the bunk. Was wondering is this legal? Cheers for any replies.

I have double manned a few times in the 80s but best was when i double manned on my own in the 90s with 2 20fts each at 17t

toothpick johnny:
when i double manned on my own

you can get locked up for that :laughing:

yes thats true but running at 50t was more of a worry