Double manning

toowise:
Apparantly the guy our company uses is a regional transport manager for a multi-national aggragate, building materials and transport company. (thats what he told us anyway :open_mouth: )

I wonder from this post how many aggregate tippers and multi drop Hiab trucks are double manned :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never double manned and I sometimes wonder about the economics of it. Since the truck still has to be parked up between shifts, can it actually do enough extra work to make the second wage worthwhile?

the only experience of double manning I have had was simply to extend the driving time available in order to get the vehicle/load back to base from runs needing more than 10 hours driving time.

Santa:
I have never double manned and I sometimes wonder about the economics of it. Since the truck still has to be parked up between shifts, can it actually do enough extra work to make the second wage worthwhile?

On the few occasions I have done it, it is viable, things like getting a new Bentley to Wolfsburg for a press launch.

It came off the production line at 11am and was in Wolfsburg within a shift. It was an easylife on the way home. :wink:

We also did about 3 weeks running a brace of prototype Jaguars between Coventry, the Nardo Ring in Italy and the Idiada Proving Ground in Spain. It made no sense to us, but being paid for 3 days to live on the beach during the week was nice :stuck_out_tongue:

Double manning is mostly used for so called time critical deliveries, and usually will be dedicated( no groupage) to destinations in mainland Europe or even beyond ,as in theory the vehicle can be on the move upto20 hrrs, twice in any week, & 18hrs there after, the daily rest is only 9hrs used to be 8hrs ,( IMO should be 10 or 11hrs) after a 20 hrs driving stint

As for is it illegal for the co driver to sleep in a bunk whilst the vehicle is moving , I would say no it isn’t illegal as such, but should the vehicle have to brake suddenly or take evasive action foe some reason and there is no securing straps to prevent you falling out then you may well end up being thrown out of bed and around the cab, and sustaining injuries to yourself and the driver,

Santa:

The truck we will use to night will in all likelihood have been used today, it might have returned from Dublin or just done a day run. When we get back in the morning at about 04:00 it will probably head off to Dublin at 05:00, or a local run a bit later on.

Harlow_wannabe:
the first 45 mins of poa counts as a break when double manning so no need to do print out and write on back.

As others have said, this is right, but I’d like to add that certain tacho software that they use in the office when they download your card isn’t aware of this and will flag up an infringment if you do more than 4.5 hrs driving in the day without properly recording a break.

4.5 hrs driving
4 hours in the passenger seat (POA)
2 hours driving

^ This is still considered an infringment by the software.

Not that it matters, you just have to refute it if the numpty in the office tries being clever.

rob22888:

Harlow_wannabe:
the first 45 mins of poa counts as a break when double manning so no need to do print out and write on back.

As others have said, this is right, but I’d like to add that certain tacho software that they use in the office when they download your card isn’t aware of this and will flag up an infringment if you do more than 4.5 hrs driving in the day without properly recording a break.

4.5 hrs driving
2 hours driving

Not that it matters, you just have to refute it if the numpty in the office tries being clever.

Our tacho analysis sheets come back with ‘45 minutes break assumed’ next to the POA part when the vehicle has been double manned.

The only experiences that I have of “double manning” cannot be discussed on here, but please feel free to message me for further details :slight_smile:

Coffeeholic:

rob22888:

Harlow_wannabe:

4.5 hrs driving
2 hours driving

The first 45 mins of POA are classed as break as long as you are naught doing any other work like taxing a map or phoning customers etc etc. You can have a break in the passenger seat but you can’t have your daily rest in a moving vehicle. As for the post I have quoted the stonebridge software allows the manager to go in to the software and change the times and write notes to stop infringements from happening. This changes nothing on your card or VU but it will show what really took place on the computer. I assume this can be done with them all but defiantly with the new Stonebridge.

Our tacho analysis sheets come back with ‘45 minutes break assumed’ next to the POA part when the vehicle has been double manned.