Tacho - Double Manning

Can anyone tell me how on earth when you’re double manning you get the tacho to record the driving on the second tacho. So far in my dads truck we’ve tried every which way we can think of but it always records all driving on tacho one, even when tacho one is set on rest or box mode and tacho two is set on cross hammers etc.

You daft devil, Robin!!!
You simply change their positions!!!
When you change drivers, you have to change the tachoes over as well so that the guy who is driving has HIS tacho on the top

That makes sense now I think about it. I never thought of that before because I thought you weren’t supposed to open your tacho during your duty time unless asked to do so by police etc?

On a slight offshoot to this…I’ve just finished 4 months of double-manning and overall it wasn’t too bad an experience, especially as nights out were in hotels,so room to myself :wink: . Anyway,had some tachos go away for analysis, and they came back with several listed as “damaged/dirty” Now I do look after them when they are not in the tacho,but when they are being changed 3/4 times a day then what do they expect■■?

moan over

robinhood_1984:
That makes sense now I think about it. I never thought of that before because I thought you weren’t supposed to open your tacho during your duty time unless asked to do so by police etc?

Your chart is your record of your days activities. How are you supposed to know when a break or rest period is due unless you look at the chart?

The only time it will be queried is if it has been removed for 5 minutes or more.

Krankee:

robinhood_1984:

Your chart is your record of your days activities. How are you supposed to know when a break or rest period is due unless you look at the chart?

The only time it will be queried is if it has been removed for 5 minutes or more.

I’ve never had to open my tacho to find out when I’m due a break etc, I keep a written record in a sort of home made log book of all driving times and rest times. I honestly didn’t know that you were allowed to open your tacho unless asked to do so my the police or vosa, who would then stamp/sign on the back to cover it.

Quinny must be on holiday as he normally jumps in telling you to use the Hour Guard saves writing everything down :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robinhood_1984:

Krankee:

robinhood_1984:

I’ve never had to open my tacho to find out when I’m due a break etc, I keep a written record in a sort of home made log book of all driving times and rest times. I honestly didn’t know that you were allowed to open your tacho unless asked to do so my the police or vosa, who would then stamp/sign on the back to cover it.

I do the same, Robin, with a small notepad… but you are allowed to open the head to change the tachos over.

Krankee:

Because any COMPETENT driver makes a note of the required times. It’s not rocket science.

If not, use a drivers hour guard.

Either way, there’s no need to open the tacho and on some vehicles when you close it again, it’ll stick a great big line through the chart to show it was opened.

Just thought i would ask, as iv’e done my fair share on the circuit.

Conor:

Krankee:

Because any COMPETENT driver makes a note of the required times. It’s not rocket science.

If not, use a drivers hour guard.

Either way, there’s no need to open the tacho and on some vehicles when you close it again, it’ll stick a great big line through the chart to show it was opened.

Great in theory, and it works for me most of the time, but sometimes you forget to write down when you’ve stopped or started because of other distractions like trying to find the place etc. So then you have a choice:-
guess and risk going over your hours or take the chart out and have a look and bring you records upto date. VOSA would prefer you do the later and have no problem with it.

muckles:
Great in theory, and it works for me most of the time, but sometimes you forget to write down when you’ve stopped or started because of other distractions like trying to find the place etc. So then you have a choice:-
guess and risk going over your hours or take the chart out and have a look and bring you records upto date. VOSA would prefer you do the later and have no problem with it.

What will happen when we have these digital tachos thrusted onto us? I presume they will have a print out mechanism simlar to that of a fridge unit etc so you can print out your activities for the day to see what you’ve done so far should you forget to write something down.

robinhood_1984:
What will happen when we have these digital tachos thrusted onto us? I presume they will have a print out mechanism simlar to that of a fridge unit etc so you can print out your activities for the day to see what you’ve done so far should you forget to write something down.

I’m sure that they have a print out and maybe a digital display. So hopefully there will be much less of this having 44 minutes break because the tacho dial has 5 minute sections, but the readers used by the agencies can read down to the nearest minute.

I have always kept a written record of what I do during the day and now as an agency driver some clients want you to fill out a form that details exactly how your time was spent, doing that as you go is just not possible so at the end of the day you need to have the details to be able to fill it in.

robinhood 1984 said;

With a digital tacho you can print your daily record pf duty / driving / rest etc at any time. The record will show activities individually in chronological order and will total the time in each activity. The Vehicle Unit will also give an audible warning at 4 hours 15 minutes of driving and then again at 4 hours 30 minutes. To cancel the warning you have to press the appropriate button twice, so no saying you didn’t know about it :smiley:
The display on the VU also shows the time in any particular mode. so you will know when you have had 14 minutes rest and when you have had 15 minutes. Just be careful, the VU selects other work (crossed hammers) by default when the vehicle is stationery. Just make sure to use the mode switch to select rest (bed) when you stop for a break.

i think from what i’ve read the Digi tacho’s also record data on what the vehicle is doing. So i’ve you’ve taken your smart card or what ever out and vosa stop you they can see if the vehicles been driven or what ever.