Driver Hire

Hi

I’m thinking of registering with Driver Hire, does anyone know what they are like to work for.

I passed my LGV C a year ago, but I have been working in a different industry and so haven’t got any experience yet.

On their website they mention taking a tachograph test and a driving competence test before registering with them, does anyone know what these involve.

Thanks for your help. JD :smiley:

They are all run buy different people, so you will get bad reports for one area, but will get good reports for others.
As for the test, you will do this with most agencys, its just about 25 multiple choice question in the same sort of format as the LGV theory test, questions about drivers hours etc, signs, etc etc adn finally you may have to fill out the details on a tacho with a scenario they give you.
At the end of the day, always remeber THEY need YOU, dont get yourself into the situation where by you should be gratefull to them, they would as soon ■■■■ on you if need be, the test will be easy, unless you make a complete ■■■■ up and cant even answer simple questions they may not take you on, but if you got this far passing the DSA one then you will be fine.

Hi JD,

I joined them a week ago, when i went in they made me fill ot a load of forms (3 pages worth!!) and then i did the tacho test.

Its quite easy really and as long as you use your head you should breeze through it. there is also another section on general knowledge, traffic signs, etc.

Hope this helps

Ben :laughing:

Thanks for your advice Gurner & Ben. I think I’ll give them a ring. :smiley:

i used to drive for the cambridge office, good bunch of lads and good quality work i used to get a real mix with them and really enjoyed working for them.
chris

I joined Driver Hire in Nuneaton and found them a good bunch to deal with. Got plenty of work with them. The tacho test wasn’t too hard and then a few questions on road signs and maps/routes etc.

If unsure of tacho regs (I was!!) find yourself a website on the net with the tacho regs (Type UK Tachograph Regulations into Google) or find them on Trucknet UK and print them out or make yourself a crib sheet and keep it handy. It worked for me!

Cheating or Resourceful - I’ll let you decide.

Calv

Thanks for all your help. :smiley:

click here

for hours guide information

jon

Thanks Jonboy. Very Useful. :smiley:

When I went there I made a few mistakes on the tacho test (I checked the answers afterwards) and the guy read it through and said I had answered them all correct. So either they knew I was wrong, but they weren’t bothered cos they needed the drivers or he didn’t know himself. Probably a bit of both.

All this said, they were the best agency I’ve worked for. Just don’t turn down the ■■■■ jobs, or you never get the good ones. :wink:

I work for DriverHire Belfast and the guys there are good. If you work for them, they’ll work for you. I’ve done some nasty jobs when no other driver would, but in return they give me some right cushy numbers too! They have also promised to send on my CV now I’m moving to Edinburgh and help set me up with a permanent position there.

dont know what driverhire pay down south, but their york office pay £5 50 for cl 2 and £6 00 for cl 1. honest!!! i nearly died laughing.

Teesside Driverhire is the worst paying Agency arround here!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Needless to say dunno what there like to work for :sunglasses:

driver hire chadderton manchester…rubbish never got a call but thats only my opinion different areas are better

hi guys i am new to this but i have been informed by several people that driver hire is not an agency to work for.I have also found out that they are a frachize and each office will be diffrent and no dought the wages will be.
i work for sms in maidstone and found them to be pretty good 8 ph for class 2 i am going for my class 1 as soon as i can aford it
all the best

Wouldn’t touch them with yours… ! Went for a job as a Consultant with them. They wanted an experienced HGV driver to book drivers into companies, interview potential drivers, attend customer visits, route planning (I can’t think why !), and office admin such as wages, tachos, etc. At the time, I was earning nearly £28k pa driving artics and Driver Hire were going to pay me £12k pa (OTE £15k) ! The interviewer couldn’t understand why I got up and walked out without a word !

Hi Guys glad this topic came up, passed class 2 couple of days ago and was gonna look into trying to get on driver hire in canterbury’s books but don’t think i will bother now :frowning:

I work part time for Driver Hire York and they are always good - allways have plenty of work on offer and if I turn the work down they are still chasing me the next weekend.
They dont pay the highest rates but pay a minimum of 8 hrs even it I only work 3 - the firms they send me to are good and I can always get directions and instructions before I start.

Any agency should pay a minimum of 8 hrs, that is the least they will charge for, so there is no reason I can think of why you shouldn’t get your share. The agency I used to work for would pay 8hrs even if, when you got there, they said the shift had been covered already. I just produced my time-sheet, asked them to sign here (politely), got back in my car and headed home. One of our drivers was called out 3 times one evening, and got paid 8hrs for each of them. 24hrs pay for one 8hr shift (not on overtime rate though :smiley: ).

Driverhire Nationwide is a franchise business, so the couple who set it up make money but the branches have to find their own contracts,

Every office will be different because the only uniform thing is the uniform and paperwork.

I got the franchise pack a few years ago with a view to start an agency.