Reputable/dodgy agencies

DRIVERHIRE STARTED ME OFF IN 96 FRESH FROM MY TEST,DIDN"T GET 2 PICK MY JOBS BUT…GAVE ME AN “IN” THEY DO HAVE ,IN MY OPINION , HIGH STANDARDS WHICH 4 A NEWBIE PROB IS GOOD , 4 INSTANCE, SAME YEAR , CALLED AN AGENCY AND THEY GAVE ME A NIGHT TRUNK WITHOUT EVEN HAVING MET ME/SEEN MY LICENCE !!WHEN I QUESTIONED THIS THEY SAID “WELL ,WE TRUST YOU !” < I KNOW ,YOU COULDN"T MAKE THAT UP !!!

I work for manpower they do give newbies a shot, having some prior commercial experience will go in your favour, and amongst some other agencys , they genuinely are a nicer outfit to work for.

Seem to have got lucky as a couple of agencies took me on and I’m now just with one of them as they’ve had work for me every week bar 1 since Sept. Only doing up to 3 days/wk but that fits in nicely with my other part time job. All work is with Wincanton/Tesco and I’m loving it. Good set up and they provide good instructions & maps for all drops. Still carry my maps & sat nav just in case but haven’t needed them so far.

All agencies are, to some extent dodgy. Some more than others though!!! :laughing:

ive been getting all my work from driver hire, never had any problems with them, they’ve done their best to keep me busy (and i have been pretty much since i registered with them), not had any C or C1 work yet but i only passed my test on 31st Jan.

YT

bachippy:
Cheers everyone for the positive comments.

Dieseldave - hopefully agencies will be ok with the Sprinter driving done over the last 4mths even though not in lorries. At least it is driving.

Kirk Ella - I knew about the digi tacho cards ages ago but decided to wait until I’d passed my test before applying - just in case I didn’t pass!

Yambol57 - Thanks for the heads up, I shall take a look at Drivers Direct and Countrywide Drivers as they’re not names I’ve come across before. Guess driving 7.5 tons for a while would be ok to get some hours logged. Would rather just get into the Class 2 work now though if I can as missing driving them already! Also then I can get a feel for the work and decide if I want to do the Class 1.

Anyone had any dealings with or have any opinions on these agencies:-
smskent
mainstream
driverhire
protem
Manpower
gorecruit
prodrive
driverhire
rlm personnel

Cheers

Driver Hire are pretty strong in most areas and pick up a lot of work because of their good branding. They allow drivers to get experience without that catch 22 of you need experience before you can get experience of some of the other big boys like Transline, Manpower, etc…

Dogtanian:
i have some rather bad news for you
99% of agencies will not take you on if you have not had your licence for 2 years
and you must of done x amount of driving work within y amount of time
that one you can make up the 2 year bit you cant its in black and white on your licnece

They have this silly little insurance thing that the agenices set up and pay for
cant remember the name of the insurance but there is absolutly no need fo it, think it just adds to there egos
but for there insurance purpose drivers must have had there licence for 2 years

It’s called Driver Negligence Insurance and the customers normally request it, so the agency drivers accidents don’t increase their premiums.

There are lots of agencies that don’t offer it as standard though, so drivers can get the experience through them… people like The Best Connection and Driver Hire. Agencies that only deal with the large-user clients like Transline, Manpower, ADR, etc are likely to have it all sites, so are restricted for it.

poeticpenguin:

bachippy:

Dieseldave - hopefully agencies will be ok with the Sprinter driving done over the last 4mths even though not in lorries. At least it is driving.

Kirk Ella - I knew about the digi tacho cards ages ago but decided to wait until I’d passed my test before applying - just in case I didn’t pass!

Yambol57 - Thanks for the heads up, I shall take a look at Drivers Direct and Countrywide Drivers as they’re not names I’ve come across before. Guess driving 7.5 tons for a while would be ok to get some hours logged. Would rather just get into the Class 2 work now though if I can as missing driving them already! Also then I can get a feel for the work and decide if I want to do the Class 1.

smskent
mainstream
driverhire
protem
Manpower
gorecruit
prodrive
driverhire
rlm personnel

Cheers

Driver Hire are pretty strong in most areas and pick up a lot of work because of their good branding. They allow drivers to get experience without that catch 22 of you need experience before you can get experience of some of the other big boys like Transline, Manpower, etc…

i would give transline a wide berth though cos you can use Reputable dodgy in sentance about transline… it will go like this,

transline aren’t … and they are … beware. :grimacing:

hahhahahahaha

I’m also with DriverHire. Gave me Class 2 work straight away without experience. I didn’t even have 7.5t experience. Had constant-ish work ever since.

However, they pay awful. I get min wage for 7.5t and only 70p more for Class 2. But the work is constant and I’m hoping to get ‘in’ with a company I’m working for. The other downside is they appear to move you on after 12 weeks to avoid the AWR issue.

KEEP THE FAITH!!

YAMBOL57:
most want 2 yrs min some will exept 180 day continuous driving on that class of vehicle .

:open_mouth: 180 continuous days without a rest period :open_mouth:

Hi,

Passed my Class 2 couple of weeks ago and expecting my digi tacho card any day - apparently it was posted by the DVLA on the 16th Aug.
Once I get that I’m going to trawl round the agencies in Medway/Maidstone areas. I’m hoping for adhoc work Sundays/Mondays & another day that varies each week for now as I have another part time job but would be interested to hear from anyone who can suggest any agencies that should be avoided/have a bad reputation in any way. As time goes on I’ll be looking to do more driving jobs and less of the part time job.

I’m hoping, being in the South East, I’ll be able to get work but of course everything I see asks for 1-2yrs experience which I obviously don’t have. I have been driving Sprinter vans for DHL for the last 4mths though which may or may not go in my favour. Sadly I’m told the nearest DHL depot with rigids is Hatfield which is too far.

Also do agency take lady drivers seriously or am I on a sticky wicket before I even start? My current job involves plenty of lifting (up to 200kg on wheels or 20kg in individual boxes) and I transport/deliver ambient, fresh & frozen goods around Kent.
I’ve self financed my training following redundancy in April so really am keen to make a career out of this. (Only took 20yrs to get round to doing the course & test!)

Thanks.

Hi bachippy,

bachippy:
Also do agency take lady drivers seriously or am I on a sticky wicket before I even start?

I’d say they’ll take you seriously, and your gender has nothing to do with it.

Another reason that they’ll take you seriously is this:

bachippy:
My current job involves plenty of lifting (up to 200kg on wheels or 20kg in individual boxes) and I transport/deliver ambient, fresh & frozen goods around Kent.
I’ve self financed my training following redundancy in April so really am keen to make a career out of this. (Only took 20yrs to get round to doing the course & test!)

The experience ‘thing’ is what gets most newbies, but you seem to have some experience already, so all you have to do is get somebody to let you loose in a truck for that all-importand first run. :smiley:

They don’t rush with those digi cards do they I’ve waited two weeks now rang yesterday to ask where it is and told was sent out day before wish I knew about them before I passed my test as cannot get anywork without one

I cant see you having any probs with the agents at all although if you only passed a couple of weeks ago they may start you on 7.5 tonners to see how you go i work for three was 4 but didn’t like the 4th so havnt bothered with them all are in the north west but they are muti national franchize and i think have offices in the south area Drivers Direct and Countrywide Drivers have doth been great with me i only passed class 2 july 11th and Countrywide have given me Class 2 work now but ive been with them all since April on 7.5 ton work . not had a job of the third one yet but they did say i have to do 180 days before they will give me any class 2 …both the agents i have named have payed me on time into the bank i take my CE tues but again all say that most Clients want the 180 days expeariance for Insurance reasons …but they said that for Class 2 and have found me work so far …
Do a Search on the net and find a good one the great thing about agency work is that its varied from days to nights and loads from pallets . to hanballing … upto now ive done from newpapers to double glazing …local and nights out . days and nights and i love it … only had 1 bad job delivering beds … told them not to send me there again and 1 with a 7.5 ton truck that was a wreck and refused to drive that 2 nd time . and they havent sent me on either since but they still give me work …
All The Best and Enjoy it :laughing:

smskent
mainstream
driverhire
protem
Manpower
gorecruit
prodrive
driverhire
rlm personnel

Cheers

LOL Bachippy
I thought i would be retired and would have forgot how to drive one before i got a class 2 job But hey didnt take long … the main probs is Insurance for the Clients of Agents …look on Jobrapido . jobstoday. or even the Job Centre plus web sites they all cover most of the uk and there are companies out there who will take a new driver on (even women drivers) lol :wink: Only kiddin … :smiley:

At least I don’t have the problem of being too young for insurance :exclamation:

bachippy:
… At least it is driving.

Hi bachippy,

That’s it exactly!!

You may even have to stay on the sprinters a while longer, but now here’s the long game…

As you steadily go about the various work you’re offered, and after a few regular jobs completed with no problems so that your face fits, you might just mention to certain clients (who have larger vehicles in their fleet :wink: ) that you are also able to drive larger vehicles.

Your time will come, so softly softly catchee monkey eh? :smiley:

OH its not the to young bit its the fact most want 2 yrs min some will exept 180 day continuous driving on that class of vehicle . … dont know why as the test is hard enough now and some agents wont accept EX Army expeariance either …so i think i will be looking round if i pass my class 1 for a full time job with any company who will take new drivers even the rubbish pay ones just to get the expeariance … :unamused: