Reputable/dodgy agencies

Driver Hire took me on a week after passing my test. I have nevr had a problem with them. As they are franchises I guess some will be better than others. Taunton branch has given me fairly regular work and I am very happy with them

I have used several agencies in the North East none have a prob with me being female

But have gone back on the vans for now as it is regular work & was the best on offer at the time

My prob is my hight being vertically challenged :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jeff @ Prodrive is a decent lad.

44 Tonne Ton:
Jeff @ Prodrive is a decent lad.

Thanks for that, not heard of that one before. Will check them out and add them to the list for when the digi card arrives. :smiley:

bachippy:
but would be interested to hear from anyone who can suggest any agencies that should be avoided/have a bad reputation in any way.

Sorry if this comes across as negative, but if you start by assuming that all agencies who you haven’t had a recommendation for are dodgy and give them a chance to prove you wrong, you’ll not be so disappointed when you find that most of them really are parasites :wink:

i have some rather bad news for you
99% of agencies will not take you on if you have not had your licence for 2 years
and you must of done x amount of driving work within y amount of time
that one you can make up the 2 year bit you cant its in black and white on your licnece

They have this silly little insurance thing that the agenices set up and pay for
cant remember the name of the insurance but there is absolutly no need fo it, think it just adds to there egos
but for there insurance purpose drivers must have had there licence for 2 years

I’m with Driver Hire and Driver’s Direct, both are OK but as has been said, they are franchises so will vary from branch-to-branch.

Neither of them indicated that lack of experience would be a complete blocker, though it does limit your options. Maybe it was because I had held my license for 2 years (but had no experience) that it counted for something.

Like with anything else, you have to prove yourself as capable and reliable first (with the agency) and once you have done a few jobs for them without problems, they will start to give you the work you want.

Though I am Class 2 my first few jobs were delivering vans and I still do Sprinter work occasionally for Class 2 clients if they ask.

This may be a myth, but two experienced drivers who have previously done agency work have both told me separately that the agencies carry some sort of premium/insurance whatever that covers them and/or their client for inexperienced newbies, thereby getting around the 2 years/180 days bit.

N

bachippy:
Anyone had any dealings with or have any opinions on these agencies:-
smskent
mainstream
driverhire
protem
Manpower
gorecruit
prodrive
driverhire
rlm personnel

Cheers

I have driven for Driver Hire (Ashford) before and always had plenty of work, they do however pay a little less than some others.
I currently drive for Mainstream who do pay much better but i don’t know how much class 2 work they have.

HTH

Thanks scuba,

Mainstream are on my list to register with. Would’ve done it last Friday but didn’t realise it was going to take so long to register with a couple of agencies in Maidstone.
Probably get to them tomorrow or Wednesday.

It takes forever doesnt it I joined one last Thursday after filling forms in doing a four page test then having a chat it took over a hour and half couldn’t face that again until next week so off to see another on Tuesday