Anybody heard of driver hire?

hi guys and girls ,the post above says it, has any 1 heard of this agency for lgv drivers? i called to see them last week to see what they were like, got talking to few women who worked behind the desk there and as i havent passed mod 4 yet they told me to call back when have got it, i wanted to call though to see what they were all about, girl said they were very busy, and she could prop get me c1 work to start with when i pass, so got my form the other day for my tacograph card, just waiting to do mod 4, so was wondering any of you guys ever worked for this agency, im from n.ireland, but they are all over england too, help much apprecated :slight_smile:

Driver hire are run on a franchise basis so some better than others.

However as a general rule they will give newbies a chance and kept me in regular work from day 1.

I didn’t get 60hr weeks from the word go but it soon built up to that.

A lot of it depends on their client base and what licences you hold. Obviously if you are a newbie you will not get cream of the crop, or are unlikely to be picked over a CE driver with 10 years experience. But there’s usually work available that the old hands don’t want, and they will call on the newbies to cover it.

Same advice as with any agency. Try to take up every offer of work within your legal limits. If you don’t hear from them, give them a call.

Don’t expect top whack pay but they should keep you in enough work to get you a first footing and then you can move on 1-2 yrs later.

davy1111:
hi guys and girls ,the post above says it, has any 1 heard of this agency for lgv drivers? i called to see them last week to see what they were like, got talking to few women who worked behind the desk there and as i havent passed mod 4 yet they told me to call back when have got it, i wanted to call though to see what they were all about, girl said they were very busy, and she could prop get me c1 work to start with when i pass, so got my form the other day for my tacograph card, just waiting to do mod 4, so was wondering any of you guys ever worked for this agency, im from n.ireland, but they are all over england too, help much apprecated :slight_smile:

Agency known to take on newbies, but in return you get ■■■■ pay and all the ■■■■■■ hard graft jobs that no-one else wants to do like removals, white goods/furniture deliveries, unrealistic multi-drop etc. Got to start somewhere though, we’ve all been there.

As mentioned above they are good with newbies. I got regular work with them within a month of passing my C. The one i was with seemed to cover a lot of sickness. Didn’t surprise me as sometimes heavy handball multidrop.

The girls in the office were great and actually rang me after my first day to see how i coped with the work and being out on my own, which I thought was a nice touch.

Never done any work for them although registered have done some of my CPC through them at a reasonable cost

The only work the offered me was collecting laundry from restaurants :unamused: when they knew I couldnt poss do it as the bag’s would be to heavy for me to lift :unamused:

thank you guys for the good info, ill def be goin to them then when get mod 4 done, just got a mod 4 cd of ebay which is far handy than paper work trainer give me, dont care what wages are like, as long as i get a start, need to start paying for c+e some how :laughing: , again guys thanks very much, dave :slight_smile:

Why would you need a mod 4 CD? Isn’t it very simple stuff?

because you have to study questions and answers for mod 4, have you even done it??

I get work from Driver Hire from time to time,money is not great,but thats haulage for you.

I get work from Driver Hire from time to time,money is not great,but thats haulage for you.

Ive been with Driver Hire since i made my career change in June this year. Ive got my Class 2 licence, it was slow the first couple of weeks but if you do a good job and take all the work they offer you’ll soon build up a good reputation and companys tend to ask for you back.
As dar said they franchised so each one is different. After the summer the work has dried up abit as most drivers have taken their holidays so ive been struggling getting 2-3 days work a week which is not enough to cover bills. However starting tomorrow ive got 2 and a half weeks work with a client that asked for me.
When i signed up they said we pay between £7- 10 phr for class 2 work. Every job ive done with them has been £7 which im abit peeved about.

thanks for the info nate, and everybody else, ill go to driver hire when i get mod 4 out of the way, hopefully nate your wage will inprove when you get the 2 years experince, id just be happy to be driving! :laughing: , not worryed about the wage as yet, but think ill take a tocograph course with them 1st, as i still only know half of rules and regs, from what people are saying they sound good for newlys, cheers guys :slight_smile:

davy they are good to get you started and depending on how well the franchise are doing you could get regualar work with them.

Im a little peeved with mine since my last post, they offered me that 2 1/2 weeks work on a job i enjoy doing last Friday. They phoned me today saying they’ve changed me to another job (which is ok work) 2 1/2 weeks and they asked for me again. But its 6am starts opposed to 8am starts on the other job, i explained to him i cant do 6am starts this week as my girlfriend is away and i need to take my son to nursery in the morning. He had taken for granted i could do this other job and has given the 8am job to someone else! So now im without work for the rest of the week. I told him i need work this week as i have bills to pay and he said he’ll get me something…‘promise’.

On the plus side this 2 week job could be permenent as they’re looking to recruit and they asked for me specifically, and due to me getting messed around by DH and falling deeper into my overdraught it looks like i’ll be taking it

sry to hear nate mate they give that job to somone else, the girl said to me 2weeks ago there very busy here in belfast, but when i get my mod 4 to come back, she said prop start on 7 half tonner, i wudnt mind long as it gets foot in door, from your replys and others they seem ok to work for :slight_smile:

A lot of blokes are finding that you can drive a Ford Transit or Merc. Sprinter for the same money as a guy in an artic. gets.

Yep they’re deffinatly a stepping stone to getting a permanent job. My first job was on a 7.5 tonne, when theres no class 2 work ive taken 7.5t jobs but the pay is only 6.15phr but better than nothing.
Things are looking up, Sunlight rang me this morning saying i can work tomorrow and fri starting at 8 to go out with a driver and learn the type of work they do. He said he’s had an agency guy in but he’s incapable of doing the job and as ive worked for them before he knows i can be left to it so he wants me. Fingers crossed i could fall into a permanent position there :slight_smile:

hope everything goes well for you nate, looks better if your capable of doing the job than the other bloke, looks better for you, hopefully you get perm job out of it, yeah i wudnt mind get 6.15hr, beta than what i get min on jsa :laughing: , just cant wait to get out on road! :laughing:, get some experince to :slight_smile:

I passed my c+e a couple of years ago and signed up with Driver Hire when they were based in York Rd. Did the test and gave them all my documentaion to copy, etc. They told me they would probably start me off on 7.5 tonne work and to go home and wait for a call…I’m still waiting 2.5 years later despite phoning them up! They have apparently moved elsewhere but don’t bank on them giving you work.
Sign up with a few agencies like Grafton, Premier, etc or even go around some of the transport companies and offer to go out with their drivers…free if necessary in order to get something on your CV. It doesn’t cost them anything that way but you get a wealth of experience.
I only wanted part-time work to get some experience but after reading in the forums here, work will not come your way…you have to aggressively go out and find it. Good luck btw.

thanks slaphead, ive bein around every haulage company here where i live to see if i could go out with drivers for experince free of charge but they all said insurance purposes, i went to an agency called hayes and the guy said you need experince, i told him i was told that the agencys were the places i was told you get it, so no not there anyway, i went to another one also and two girls in the office told me the same thing, EXPERINCE!, she said to me would you drive a van i said yes, and she said that word again, yes experince, so i dont understand, so went to driver hire and was told to come back when had my mod 4, so i thought they would be the most promisen, so im confussed! :laughing:

I understand your frustration in this matter.

Can’t get experience without a job…
Can’t get a job without experience…

My understanding of the insurance issue is that companies are looking to recruit drivers who have a minimum ‘soak’ period of two years in which they have held their relevant licence. Experience in that time is good but not absolutely essential. For a company to take you onboard prior to this, the insurance is loaded so you are disadvantaged against drivers with more experience and time served. However, there are companies out there who do take on younger or less experienced drivers and if I can find one I will let you know.

One thing I will say to you is to be totally honest when/if you go for an interview or test drive.
Companies like integrity and if you put something on the form that you are not or tell them you are experienced when you aren’t, they will soon suss that out and show you the door.
Also periodically look over the DVA question and answer book/cd as some of the bigger companies who take on agency work like Tesco make you do the theory test.

I would be inclined to try some of the larger transport companies like Montgomery, McBurney, McCulla, etc. Explain the situation and ask if there is anything they can do…get your Mod 4 first though.

Remember to keep phoning in order to make your presence felt and show them you are keen.