Bit of Advice needed.

Hi all.

First of all, if this is on the wrong sectoon, please move to the correct one please.

To the required advice.

Currently been driving for around 7 years.
6 years experience ADR and Hiab.
4 years class 2
3 years Class 1

I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I dont want to drive wagons for the rest of my working life (I realise ive not even done a decade in the industry yet but I fear if I dont do something it will be harder to move on later) But want to still be part of the transport sector in some capacity.

Anyone new who comes onto our job tends to get sent my way to give them some on the job training and Crane experience. Its something that I’ve really enjoyed doing and have had good feedback from the lads who ive helped.

I’m looking to get some information on the following options and some advice on them (how to start, best way to gain experience, qualifications )

So here it goes (in no particular order)

Crane/Hi-Ab instructor
Cpc and or ADR Instructor.
DGSA
Health and Safety.

I am currently thinking about asking my current company if I can train to become a driver trainer instructor.

Thanks in advance for any info , again apologies if its the wrong section.

The major issue in the industry is there is almost zero career progression.
Warehouse guys have much chance of getting promoted and ending up in the office and eventually getting manager jobs then a trucker driver.

Why? Well it is easy to replace even a good warehouse worker. Putting a good truck driver in the office means finding a good truck driver to replace him/her.

I have zero experience with this type of stuff I can only go with what I have seen.

Peter Smythe recently posted about huge amount of opening for driving examiners though. You considered that? No doubt that would lead to many opportunities to become a HGV examiner. Probably good career progression as well.

sinclair89:
Hi all.

Crane/Hi-Ab instructor
Cpc and or ADR Instructor.
DGSA
Health and Safety.

1. need to do (preferably) an ALLMI pathway, see ALLMI.com for more info, you’ll need a recognised level 3 trainer qualification (PTT, BTEC AET etc) then an ALLMI hiab ticket if you don’t already have that, then a slinger ticket and finally the ALLMI four day instuctor course

2. Two very different things there:
    (i) DCPC instuctor, again you need the level 3 trainer qualification plus demonstrable expertise for particular subjects, eg to teach Drivers Hours they (Jaupt that is) like to see you hold a TM-CPC (yet another avenue for you to consider)
    (ii) ADR instructor requires DfT via SQA approval, again with the teaching qual, plus you have to prove yourself to the SQA guy who comes to assess you - it’ll be a full day of him watching you in action - the one I know is a walking encyclopedia of ADR and you need to be spot on with all your knowledge

3. Oh… brave choice: lots of speed and organized ability required to pass three exams, no need for the trainer qual but you’d need to do a training course to get through it - I recently passed mine and it is as hard if not harder than the TM-CPC, very high failure rate for those who are not properly prepared - some people can wing it for the TM-CPC with home study, not such a good idea for DGSA

4. You need to check out IOSH or NEBOSH websites for detailed info, their courses start at Level 3 (A level equivalent) all the way up to Level 6 (degree equivalent). However, some very well paying jobs out there in H&S

Don’t think I’m trying to put you off, I’m most definitely not, but it’s best to be honest that most of these options are going to take a bit of study, if that appeals to you, then I’d highly recommend making the effort.

Thank you both for the responses.

Adam - I will look into the driving examiner that you mention. Much appreciated.

Zac, thank you for your detailed response.
It certainly gives me a platform to begin getting things in place. Which is what I was struggling to do myself.

The DGSA and the HS options are probably a bit to advanced for me right now.

I feel maybe going Crane trainer or CpC trainer will be a good start for me as its something closer to what I am involved in now.