Next Step

Ive been driving class 2 for 6 months and am looking at the future. Im going to get my Class 1 done early next year then am considering going down the ADR route or car transporters.

Any one got any advice?

Best advice is to get your Class 1 and then see what doors open for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Class 1 first get a few years experience

ADR = you need the balls to say NO IMO I don’t think a newbie would have the experience for that.

Car transporters is a lot of a job, loads of waiting time when collecting (hours), fines for hitting branches etc, quite dirty when it’s raining, you need to be very disciplined I believe only 1% of drivers that apply for transporters stick at it. Its like nothing else.

If your a good driver, professional, courteous, safe & not a moaner then there will always be a job for you try a few different things see what you like.

Anything with chains seems to get the same pay rate as ADR because it’s a dying knowledge and it’s dirty.

Do 2 years on coil, slitted coil and oil&pickle don’t have an accident and you’ll never be out of work.
Fertiliser guys seem to stick at that job, you can always tell a fert guy some kind of deformity (only messing, they’ll know what I mean)

I enjoyed general haulage but on here the newbies don’t seem to like it as its too much like hard work.
My 1st job 20 tonne of feed to a farm, blower had broken, company said come back we will fix it, 3 hour drive so in my wisdom I chose to shovel it into the farms hopper, got back to the yard for 6pm boss bought me a beer, looking back I guess he’d found a grafter.
To this day I still ask questions, myself and another driver took bone grindings to a company in wherever as we were leaving I asked questions the other driver 30 years new everything. After asking questions I knew I needed to set fire to a newspaper in the trailer to kill off the smell and then jet wash the trailer out which I duly did, I got to our next collection to find other driver loaded and gone, got to next drop he was a café stop guy so I’d almost caught him up, anyways I asked him to help me back onto this tipping grid as I was worried so he did, when I got out I could smell his trailer, I asked didn’t you wash yours ? er no. guess what factory shut down contaminated wheat, guess who kept their job the newbie or the 30 years experience, its ok getting experience it’s getting good experience that counts, keep asking questions = good luck

Thanks for the replies, im planing on staying where I am now for at least a year.

I just think Car transport sounds interesting and ADR seems to pay well.

Im concerned that class 1 doesn’t always pay that much better than class 2 so want to aim for something good and worth while.

people with no experience struggle to get a start at the bottom, so I wouldnt expect to walk into a job like that right away.