New Driver Needs Some Job Hunt Tips!

Hey Guys, new to all this but tryin to fulfill a life long ambition. For as long as i can remember all i’ve wanted to be is a trucker and just recently (last week) itook the first step to that and passed my class 2 or otherwise known these days as Cat C

I’m now trying to find work (Glasgow area) and all i keep seeing is, “must have hgv licence for 2 years” “must have experience” “HIAB” or “ADR”

HIAB and ADR are in the pipeline but work would help to fund these courses, if anybody has any suggestions of where i can start or who i could approach to gain the experience that is so much desired! Where did the chances go for people■■? Would be very much appreciated.

I thought 3 and half years as an HGV tyre fitter would help my i.e knowing copmpanies to approach etc would help but obviously not!

For questions sake i’m, 25, clean licence, plenty work experience, own transport to travel for work and digi tacho card.

Any help would be much appreciated and seen as i’ve just passed my test any people want any advice on Module 4 CPC test just ask,

Thanks

For free you can place an advert to offer your services in the truck magazines or search for owner drivers and firms on the Vosa O licence web site as the location comes up on there.Try job sites Eures or Rapido and Gumtree and in the free Trade It mag there are driving jobs.

I passed my C licence ADR, HIAB, CPC etc back in February after leaving the RAF. I am having the same problem. Its really frustrating. Try signing up with agencies. Thats what ive done. They said they could get me some 7.5T work to start off with. Not really what I wanted but it could be a foot in the door. Ive also been trawling the job sites and nearly all jobs like you say want 2yrs experience. This is by far the hardest industry ive tried to get in so far but im not going to give up just yet. Im going to start turning up at haulage firms in person and see what they say. Some might give you some advice about who is taking on. Anyway good luck.

What was your rank and trade in the Raf i was a mover with 4624 Squadron Brize Norton on the Hercules Tristar Vc10 Boeing 747 and C17.You could leave your advert at the cross channel ports like Poole or Portsmouth if you fancy European work.

Craig, first off, finding this place probably wasn’t a bad start. Don’t overlook “Driver Vacancies (Members Only)”.

My general advice is - be the difference. There are likely to be many drivers (new and otherwise) looking for work in the same companies that I imagine you’ve approached (or should have done!). The only likely advantage you’ll ever create for yourself is establishing a first impression, and if you’ll excuse the cliché, impressions are lasting.

Finding a job in any given profession in the current climate, very much an employer’s market, means that you have to demonstrate being able to add value to an employer. As a new driver with previous experience in fitting HGV tyres - you’re mould-able to any given employer which is something that some of my clients stress as highly desirable and you have a skill from your previous experience which they can utilise. You should be able to stress both of these points.

When it comes to insurance purposes, what you’re being told is true. Infact, you wouldn’t even be covered if you have an accident in a 7.5tonner. I have no idea why agencies think this is a viable solution, and I work for one! Firms can however have their underwriters negotiate clauses in cases such as your own - they’ll only bother if they think you’ll be worth the risk however. Perhaps you could negotiate a lower starting salary with a review after say 12 weeks. Or you’ll pay towards an excess in the event of an accident to which you’re liable. Make it as difficult as possible for them to find a reason to reject you.

Your previous experience should give you approachable companies, or at least names of key decision makers that could make a difference in finding you a job or not. If you don’t know who they are - speak to the people that you used to deal with, ask them for the best contacts, more often than not - there’s more than one. If you’re planning on writing an introduction letter / CV (which you should), personalise it to each and every transport manager / HR officer. Use their websites to extract as much information as possible and pick up on the ‘tone’ of the company.

Most small, family firms will want you to ‘fit in’, which is probably more important than your actual ability. Skill can be taught, personality & attitude can’t.

Expanding companies will want reliability - they’re also likely to invest in things like your HIAB / ADR if you’re going to be in it long term.

Established organisations are likely to want a professional approach - doesn’t mean you can’t add some personality to it though.

Hope this helped!

Hi craig.jack!

Welcome onto the forum.

I agree with the excellent advice there from Freddie. I’m also a very big believer in being in the right place at the right time, so make sure you get out there and let all those TM’s know you are very capable and available immediately.

Good luck. :sunglasses:

My advice would be apply for all the jobs you can!

Don’t be put off by adverts asking for experienced, adr only etc.

Last year I bit bullet and did my Class 1 on my own back after 5 plus years of failed promises by my employer that they would put me through it.

Since passing I have been offered a job on draw bar work, which i turned down in the end. This was advertised asking for the usual experience. (I had never even driven a draw bar as did my Class 1 in an artic)

Then earlier in month I applied for a job asking for experienced Class 1 ADR drivers. Even though I have no ADR I applied, as felt i had nothing to lose! I managed to get an interview and was offered the job.

I’m not saying you won’t get ignored and knocked back, as I have, and it can be a bit soul destroying but you just need to keep going and hopefully a bit of luck will see you right.

Maybe try the 60 to 100 drops per day on parcel or post vans or removal firms take on newbies as porters or any farms in the area that operate in haulage.

Hi folks

Firstly i want to say thank you for all the tips. Freddie your post gave me some really helpful advice that i’m putting into practice, thank you. The job hunt still goes on but things are looking up i’ve got 2 interviews on Friday (fingers crossed) failing that i plan on filling the car and going to every yard i can possibly remember going to fit the tyres and see if i see any old faces and work some charm.

I shall keep you all posted and if successful in my visits i’ll pass on details here, to anyone in the area thats looking. As they say, “It’s not what you know, it’s who”

cheers again

Keep an eye on all the local papers.They do appear but not very often and if see the job go straight there and drive there with the cv as posting it delays the application and you beat the long queue.There was a barrista job and two thousand applied for it.

That’s the way to do it mate! Keep plugging away and something will turn up. :smiley: