A new pass insight after 2 months

Hi guys,

I’m coming up to two months since passing my C+E so I thought I’d give you an insight to my journey…

I’m in an area with lots of work (north west) so it includes Trafford Park, Warrington, central Manchester etc etc…

After I passed my C+E I put my CV up on several job websites. I got lots of stupid and weird calls from agencies.

Then I got a call from a local firm. Hiring directly. A relatively small firm (less than 30 trucks). He’d seen my CV and liked the cut of my jib. Would I like to come over for a chat?

I went for the interview and was 100% honest - I’ve never driven a truck professionally, I don’t feel comfortable reversing. Strike that! I am terrified of reversing!

That’s not a problem. Everyone feels like that at the start. How about we put someone with you for a week and see how you get on. Give it a go and see how you feel.

Roll on one week…

I still I can’t reverse.

My trainer is saying - “he’s a good driver but his head turns to mush on reverses. He can reverse but he overthinks it and panics and grabs at the wheel like a drowning man, he can reverse but his head goes to mush when it counts”…that was actually said in front of me.

My Trainer - Build, calm down. It’s just the truck. You’ve driven it all day you know how it handles, take a breath, f%$£ck everyone else, just take your time and figure out the reverse. Build, we have literally all day (office hasn’t booked another job while I train). I’m in no rush, if anyone gets mouthy I’ll have a word with them.

I’m being kicked off the computer for Girl Guides…

I’ll continue this upstairs on my laptop

Where is the next instalment.?!

Sounds very similar to my experience. I am into 2nd week on Class 1.
Loving it when going forwards. Not so much when going backwards!

Why with all their money, do supermarkets make their loading areas so bloody small!

chrisw847:
Where is the next instalment.?!

Sounds very similar to my experience. I am into 2nd week on Class 1.
Loving it when going forwards. Not so much when going backwards!

Why with all their money, do supermarkets make their loading areas so bloody small!

Supermarket deliveries as a newbie. You must love pain [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

‘grabs at the wheel like a drowning man’ :laughing: reversing onto a bay with a tri-axle trailer should be easier than with a 40’ single axle box that we had back in the day.

carryfast-yeti:
easier than with a 40’ single axle box that we had back in the day.

That was the first trailer I reversed as a night yard shunter for National Carriers :unamused:

ROG:

carryfast-yeti:
easier than with a 40’ single axle box that we had back in the day.

That was the first trailer I reversed as a night yard shunter for National Carriers :unamused:

hmmm…i do remember picking up a 40’er one morning with all the back and sides bashed in :laughing: :wink:

Check out ‘My Trucking Skills’ on YouTube.

It’ll help. It’ll also help those that think they know what they’re doing. It’s well worth a view.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

PART 2…

So I arrived on my first day at 4am for a 4:45am start and my ‘driver buddy’ gave me the keys to my truck. A Volvo FH460. It was beautiful. It drove like a dream and was incredibly comfy. “Yeah, this isn’t your truck, this is the spare truck. Your truck is that one over there” A 2 year old Volvo FH500 with leather, microwave, and coffee maker. I’m guessing I’m going out in the spare truck in case I smash it.

…And what is it with these start times?? Anyone that says they make “good money” as a trucker is seriously deluded in my opinion. We make “good money” because we do two weeks work every week - national average is around 36.5 hours a week. I clocked up over 65 hours in my first ever week and that was supposed to be a gentle week to break me in!

It’s a general haulage firm with a couple of large contracts. They don’t double man the trucks so once you’re assigned a truck, it’s yours. 15 and 13 hour days are common. Tramping is the norm and this is what I want to do going forward.

There’s so much to take in…

‘buddy’ is telling me about the engine braking settings being set to ‘auto’ but to try 1,2,3 and auto to find what I’m comfortable with. Gearbox is a bit strange being set on a handle down on your left thigh (it’s actually really comfortable after a while) but really odd to begin with. "Don’t forget to lift the axles, Don’t forget to put it on break, don’t forget into ‘P’ mode to get it up a hill, check your sat nav? Have you altered the height display?..The first 5 hours went by in like, 10 minutes I was that busy.

In the first 5 days I spent about 10 hours on motorways. The rest of the time was on ‘A’ roads around Stockport, Macclesfield, Buxton, Congleton and Stoke. I said to ‘buddy’ I was really shocked how much time we spent on horrible winding roads, I thought I’d be pointing it down a motorway all day. That made him laugh. “yep, get used to it, you’d be surprised how much time you spend going down horrible little roads but they’re shorter and quicker and time and miles are money. Trust me, on a Friday afternoon you’re going to be using these roads”. I thought we were using these routes just to test my ability driving the truck. Nope, this is what I’m going to be every day.

We get to the first job. We’ve got an empty trailer ready to be loaded.
“any issues you can spot here that we might want to think about”
Errrrmmm, I dont think so.
“what about we’ve got a trailer over 15’ and that sign says Max Height 14’10” maybe we want to find another way in before we kill all their office staff? It’s up you Build, I’m just saying…"
Buddy is a bit of comedian. I like him.

The other way in for tall trailers means a blind side reverse onto a bay. Nobody ever showed me a blind side reverse on my lessons.

To give you new guys (and those in training) an idea of a blind side reverse - imagine driving a truck. Now imagine someone covering up the mirrors and ripping your eyeballs out then expecting you to back up a house on wheels into a space barely wide enough for the house, I’m talking 6" clearance on either side. And you’re not backing straight, you’re backing in on angle because the bays are angled and there’s shunters and forks whizzing around everywhere and you know you’re holding everyone up.

Because buddy was with me I gave it my best shot. I totally blew it. Buddy said I did well for a first attempt. I was furious at myself.

Buddy jumped out and guided me in. I felt a little bit better until he told me we were aiming for bay 9 and I ended up shooting for bay 10 and he didn’t have the heart to tell me so he told the forkies to fill us on bay 10 and not to give me hard time.

That was the first load.

Anyone interested in hearing about the 5 drops that day all to horrible little shops?

I didn’t mention curtains.

Nobody shows you that on your training either!

If anyone is still interested I’ll post every newby and stupid mistake I made.

… including forgetting the suzies and ripping the airlines off! I’m told you only do it once. Let’s hope so

Supermarket work is certainly a strange form of pain as a newbie… didn’t realise just how sweaty my palms could get.

That feeling of looking through the gate and thinking how the hell do I get this truck onto that bay!

And double decker trailers are the work of the devil… however as a bonus I managed 23509 steps on my last shift !

Build5:
Anyone interested in hearing about the 5 drops that day all to horrible little shops?
[/quote]
Yes please

Supermarket work is not for the faint hearted.A few weeks i had to reverse for a driver .Check Farmfoods Basildon its supposed to be a night run.The driver had called in sick this poor agency driver had parked in front of Mcdonalds.The delivery noted stipulated you reversed back at a 90 degree angle.Boy was he grateful when i said dont worry i will reverse from the KFC car park.I just told him to stand outside and watch.

WheelsofCardiff:
Supermarket work is not for the faint hearted.A few weeks i had to reverse for a driver .Check Farmfoods Basildon its supposed to be a night run.The driver had called in sick this poor agency driver had parked in front of Mcdonalds.The delivery noted stipulated you reversed back at a 90 degree angle.Boy was he grateful when i said dont worry i will reverse from the KFC car park.I just told him to stand outside and watch.

That was nice of you, hats down

DSMRookie:

WheelsofCardiff:

That was nice of you, hats down

I’ve been a bit busy, as I’m sure everyone has!

I’ve got a few days just to rest up and eat my body weight in chocolate and mince pies, so as soon as the computer is free I’ll start a new thread with all my horror stories of being a new trucker.

AGENCY -
“Here’s a set of keys, the truck is over there, see you tomorrow”…no training, no SSOW, what’s on board? Have I got fuel? I wasn’t told I’d be sleeping in the truck!

COMPANY-
Right up to working for a real proper well known company and sadly realising the internal politics was just something I didn’t want to deal with.

I’ll explain my journey so far in a new topic.

Trucking is hard for lots of different reasons. It’s also amazing that it covers such a broad spectrum of work, from working for your local builders merchants trundling around the local area Monday to Friday and finishing at 4pm every day to tramping and European work and everything in between.

My recent runs were down to Tamworth and Leicester. Luckily, I changed routes just before the snow hit otherwise I would have been sat in Stoke trapped in snow!

I’m starting to get a feel for what I want to do. You’ve got to make sure your family is on board with your thoughts as well, not just your wife, but your kids as well.

Build5:
My recent runs were down to Tamworth and Leicester

I knew there was a reason why my sixth sense told me to keep the car on the driveway :unamused: :wink: :laughing:
ROG from Leicester

ROG:

Build5:

I knew there was a reason why my sixth sense told me to keep the car on the driveway :unamused: :wink: :laughing:
ROG from Leicester

You think the driveway would save you? You’ve not seen my reversing!! I could wipe out a small town if you gave me a blind side reverse

Build5:

ROG:

Build5:

ROG from Leicester

You think the driveway would save you? You’ve not seen my reversing!! I could wipe out a small town if you gave me a blind side reverse

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

WheelsofCardiff:

I’ve only done that store once but it is a stupid place to get into. Would be a lot easier I think if the gate opened further another few feet.

By far the worst one is Wolverton (Milton Keynes), just a ridiculous place and you are vying for space with ASDA as well.

Glyn Square, Wolverton - mad place.