Advice

Hello to everyone I’m new to this forum and I have to say I’m very impressed with the amount of knowledge available. After reading lots over the last couple of days I think it’s about time I dropped a line, put you guys in the picture and hopefully get some advice.

So I passed my C+E in 1997 when I joined the Army. I’ve drove various vehicles since and left the Army in 2009 and was lucky enough to get a job driving a bus straight away. Anyway I thought long and hard about it and decided I would like to drive trucks for a living so I registered with a couple of agencies and completed some refresher training where I went for a drive, completed 2 reverse parks guided and trailer checks/uncoupling/coupling with no issues.

I’m based in the North East of England and would appreciate any advice on what I should do next. Should I do more training or start contacting companies directly? Does anyone know of any companies in this area that would give myself a chance to show them I want to learn, am fully committed and gain much needed experience?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

If you were happy doing the reversing and coupling/uncoupling I doubt there’s much to be gained by doing more training. See what the agencies come up with but in the meantime get in touch with local companies direct anyway.

Roymondo:
If you were happy doing the reversing and coupling/uncoupling I doubt there’s much to be gained by doing more training. See what the agencies come up with but in the meantime get in touch with local companies direct anyway.

Thank you for your reply. I mentioned more training purely for reversing practise but I guess it will get better with time. I will get in touch with some local companies to see if they will give me a chance. In the mean time does anyone know of any companies that will take new drivers on or of reputable driving agencies. I’m based in Gateshead but can travel around Tyne and Wear due to own transport.

cheers

Hi pal and welcome! :smiley:

You’ve got a couple of options and they basically come down to your confidence. You can try and ‘wing it’ and go straight into class 1 work on the agencies and make a ■■■ of yourself trying to reverse onto a bay. (as we all have at some time… :laughing:) Or you can look for a firm to take you under their wing…

If you possibly sensibly go for the latter, you could possibly do this either direct of via agency by doing some class VAN (Sorry, class 2 :wink:) work to start with. That way you can limp around a few firms first and make contact with them to see if you like them and they like you. Once you have their trust driving a VAN :smiley: they’ll probably be more than happy to invest a bit if time in you getting you up to scratch in a real truck. :wink:

Sorry about slagging of the VAN drivers on the forum, but I haven’t done it for a while and they need the motivation to get a real licence! :laughing:

Best of luck and as I’m a Soft Southern ■■■■, I can’t help with your area…

Hi and thanks for the reply. I’ve just been left a voicemail to phone a agency back tomorrow doing night shift out of Teesport doing Tesco runs for Eddie Stobart. Anyone done this or any tips they have would be appreciated. The job is Friday-Tuesday nights.

1…remember at all times for that work you are paid from the neck down.
2 itl be brain numbingly easy and boring.
3 leave aforementioned brain on the dashboard of your can before entering for shift,and refit on leaving.
4 do not show any form of initiative.
5 do not deviate from the risk assesment sheet for any reason.
6 pass the buck at all times to the desicion makers at the traffic office.
and rule 1 again will be. follow the above instructions to the absolute letter,and it wll never be your fault for being late,or for anything else.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
I’m interested to hear other views on this.

Hi Godzilla,

I did much the same as you, was a driver in the army (drove the oshkosh tankers mostly so had a bit of artic experience) but its much different out here in civvie street (Drivers hours etc). I’d say just sign up with an agency and crack on, no better way to learn than to get fired right in at the deep end. Just take your time doing things and if in doubt stop, get out and have a look. No one cares if you take a few shunts to get on a bay or whatever, better that than to prang the gaffers wagon, and if you ask, most other drivers will help you out (usually!). Also a truckers atlas with bridges and weight restrictions is essential.

Good luck!

P.s. watch your pay like a hawk and get hourly rates in writing before starting a job. Agencies have a habit of making “mistakes” (or at least the ones i have been with!)

hamletbarnard:
Hi Godzilla,

I did much the same as you, was a driver in the army (drove the oshkosh tankers mostly so had a bit of artic experience) but its much different out here in civvie street (Drivers hours etc). I’d say just sign up with an agency and crack on, no better way to learn than to get fired right in at the deep end. Just take your time doing things and if in doubt stop, get out and have a look. No one cares if you take a few shunts to get on a bay or whatever, better that than to prang the gaffers wagon, and if you ask, most other drivers will help you out (usually!). Also a truckers atlas with bridges and weight restrictions is essential.

Good luck!

P.s. watch your pay like a hawk and get hourly rates in writing before starting a job. Agencies have a habit of making “mistakes” (or at least the ones i have been with!)

Thanks vary much I appreciate the advice. I’ve registered with a few agencies so I’ll see what comes up. So were you in the Army Air Corps driving OSHKOSH?

Godzilla41:
Thanks vary much I appreciate the advice. I’ve registered with a few agencies so I’ll see what comes up. So were you in the Army Air Corps driving OSHKOSH?

Once upon a time i was yes, occasionally we got drafted by whatever brigade logistics unit was on ops to drive their Oshkosh CST’s and low loaders aswell as there wasn’t too many of us Fam’d up on them.

Cracking wagon to drive, would love to have one as a tractor unit now but i think the big CAT C12 engine and 6 wheel drive may be wasted on a trunk down the M6 :laughing:

Yeah me too was in from 97 - 09. :slight_smile:

Godzilla41:
Yeah me too was in from 97 - 09. :slight_smile:

Where were you based? We may have crossed paths at some point! Spent most of my time at Wattisham with 4 Regt.

First posting was 3 reg but was only there 6 weeks and got offered 5 reg. Then 1 reg and finally 9 reg. Had a great time and learnt alot.

One for you military boys! :wink:

And he’s a member on here! :stuck_out_tongue:
viewtopic.php?t=136764&p=2149205

Wow how the helll is that tank staying on there? Seriously though I hope everyone was ok.