First Day Driving

Just thought I would give my opinion on my first day in a 18 ton rigid flatbed delivering steel for a large steel company.

I am working for an agency so going into a place like this with zero experience was a bit unnerving.

After the health and safety induction with lots of nice pictures of crushed body parts by steel! We went out to the Truck…trying to open it, remote lock didn’t work so opened it with key, jumped in (induction guy is with me outside) get the key fob in hit the button and nothing, try it a few times, starting to sweat thinking I can’t even turn a truck on, he gets in and tries and the the battery is totally flat, feel relieved that it’s not my fault, this sets me back about half an hour as they have to find a free truck to jump this one.

Then he gives me instruction on how to “safely” strap the load I have. They use a ratchet and strap with a chain that “locks” on the chain, I wasn’t expecting this, I had watched some youtube videos and they used a different system with some kind of crank on the videos I saw. Secondly they used wood blocks on top of the metal and then some at a 45 degree angle across the wooden block to add more down pressure I think, I couldn’t really understand why the 45 degree one was there, and in fact the one that the induction guy strapped I found had popped out and was luckily lying on the flatbed when I stopped down the road to check the tension. Anyone can explain this? (I had another pop out later too and and be on the flatbed)
I have to say transporting heavy steel on a flatbed was a bit scary, after each drop I double and triple checked every strap and block and would stop when I could to check them again on the way to the next one, which made me a lot slower than someone experienced.
At the end of the day with no load I strapped down the wooden support blocks but had no clue what to do with the 4 chains left over, do you strap them over the deck? Do you put them in the side box? I wasn’t sure how strong the side box was so ended up putting them on the driver cab floor, will probably annoy someone, but I felt they were not going anywhere there. I was also worried about the loose chain length flying around, when the truck was loaded you could tuck it under the load safely, can someone inform me what to do if I ever go back.

Driving a long wheel base rigid was interesting, the tail swing was massive and I had to go down some very narrow farm lanes and on one drop the sat nav tried to send me left on an impossible turn the lane was so narrow, Was a learning experience, my cab had a window out back and I have to say it made reversing the thing in very tight places a lot easier. You can actually turn in much smaller areas than I expected if you shunt it 3-4 times. But I need a lot more reversing experience and to learn to use the mirrors, without cheating with the back window.

Sat Nav was interesting even the truck one I had (xgody chinese one) sent me down some dodgy places and tried to send me under a 13.0 bridge, I was paying attention and didn’t go. I have to say UK roads are a pain in the arse in a Truck. Using the Truck Nav and google got me there ok. How did you find places before google and mobile phones, must have been a nightmare.

After my first day I think you really do start your life as a truck driver with barely enough to survive, what the DVLA thinks is sufficient to safely get people driving trucks on the road is a bit of a stretch, the things that I think need improvement are loading safely and more reversing and maybe make you use a Taco on training, I used a TACO simulation on my PC but other than that I went in blind (You have to leave the ignition on to do a print out and remove your card…spent 5 minutes baffled after my 15 hour first day why I was getting error 38 trying to printout or remove my card)

Right this is a bit long and a ramble so ending it here, I have a Royal Mail manpower assessment today, not feeling confident about the reverse haha, but well I have only driven a truck for one day, it is what it is!

Paul

Sounds like an interesting day, I am sure that some guys on here can help out with a few of the questions, sometimes a trial by fire can be useful.

You made it through the day, nothing damaged good look with the RM assessment, supposed to be good to work for and its more time on your card for other jobs!

dudevoid:
Just thought I would give my opinion on my first day in a 18 ton rigid flatbed delivering steel for a large steel company.

I am working for an agency so going into a place like this with zero experience was a bit unnerving.

After the health and safety induction with lots of nice pictures of crushed body parts by steel! We went out to the Truck…trying to open it, remote lock didn’t work so opened it with key, jumped in (induction guy is with me outside) get the key fob in hit the button and nothing, try it a few times, starting to sweat thinking I can’t even turn a truck on, he gets in and tries and the the battery is totally flat, feel relieved that it’s not my fault, this sets me back about half an hour as they have to find a free truck to jump this one.

Then he gives me instruction on how to “safely” strap the load I have. They use a ratchet and strap with a chain that “locks” on the chain, I wasn’t expecting this, I had watched some youtube videos and they used a different system with some kind of crank on the videos I saw. Secondly they used wood blocks on top of the metal and then some at a 45 degree angle across the wooden block to add more down pressure I think, I couldn’t really understand why the 45 degree one was there, and in fact the one that the induction guy strapped I found had popped out and was luckily lying on the flatbed when I stopped down the road to check the tension. Anyone can explain this? (I had another pop out later too and and be on the flatbed)
I have to say transporting heavy steel on a flatbed was a bit scary, after each drop I double and triple checked every strap and block and would stop when I could to check them again on the way to the next one, which made me a lot slower than someone experienced.
At the end of the day with no load I strapped down the wooden support blocks but had no clue what to do with the 4 chains left over, do you strap them over the deck? Do you put them in the side box? I wasn’t sure how strong the side box was so ended up putting them on the driver cab floor, will probably annoy someone, but I felt they were not going anywhere there. I was also worried about the loose chain length flying around, when the truck was loaded you could tuck it under the load safely, can someone inform me what to do if I ever go back.

Driving a long wheel base rigid was interesting, the tail swing was massive and I had to go down some very narrow farm lanes and on one drop the sat nav tried to send me left on an impossible turn the lane was so narrow, Was a learning experience, my cab had a window out back and I have to say it made reversing the thing in very tight places a lot easier. You can actually turn in much smaller areas than I expected if you shunt it 3-4 times. But I need a lot more reversing experience and to learn to use the mirrors, without cheating with the back window.

Sat Nav was interesting even the truck one I had (xgody chinese one) sent me down some dodgy places and tried to send me under a 13.0 bridge, I was paying attention and didn’t go. I have to say UK roads are a pain in the arse in a Truck. Using the Truck Nav and google got me there ok. How did you find places before google and mobile phones, must have been a nightmare.

After my first day I think you really do start your life as a truck driver with barely enough to survive, what the DVLA thinks is sufficient to safely get people driving trucks on the road is a bit of a stretch, the things that I think need improvement are loading safely and more reversing and maybe make you use a Taco on training, I used a TACO simulation on my PC but other than that I went in blind (You have to leave the ignition on to do a print out and remove your card…spent 5 minutes baffled after my 15 hour first day why I was getting error 38 trying to printout or remove my card)

Right this is a bit long and a ramble so ending it here, I have a Royal Mail manpower assessment today, not feeling confident about the reverse haha, but well I have only driven a truck for one day, it is what it is!

Paul

Just some friendly advice mate…don’t ever store chains, ratchets, straps or anything loose and heavy in the cab with you. The last thing you want in a nasty situation is a chain hurling round the cab at high velocity! Strap them out of the way or store them in a side box.

I can’t explain the lumps of timber on a 45 degree that you speak of. Maybe to protect the product or straps from chaffing?? Either that or it is as you say; to provide the downward pressure across a broader area.

I’ve never done that line of work. I take my hat off to you. Getting around it all on day one without incident is worth a pat on the back!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, Good advice on the chains I didnt think about them in an accident in the Cab. I’ll double check the box is strong enough to hold 4 or 5 if I go back there. I am a little scared of going back actually, I got a easy load, some of the loads look positively terrifying, with steel bars over the top of the cab and hanging off the back as well.
I passed my Royal Mail driving assessment too, only on 7.5 ton but it seemed so nice to drive the smaller truck after the long wheel base one yesterday! And the Royal mail Yorks are a doddle compared to strapping steel.
So might hold out for more Royal mail work at least for the time being.
The guy who did my induction at the steel place said often agency drivers say they are not coming back after their first shift it was too scary or stressful! And my agency said they have a lot of drivers who won’t do that job.

This is a picture of what I mean with the wood supports on the Truck, the 45 degree ones seem to like to pop out, if not perfectly strapped (and even then with the steel shifting could still pop off imho)

dudevoid:
Thanks for the replies, Good advice on the chains I didnt think about them in an accident in the Cab. I’ll double check the box is strong enough to hold 4 or 5 if I go back there. I am a little scared of going back actually, I got a easy load, some of the loads look positively terrifying, with steel bars over the top of the cab and hanging off the back as well.
I passed my Royal Mail driving assessment too, only on 7.5 ton but it seemed so nice to drive the smaller truck after the long wheel base one yesterday! And the Royal mail Yorks are a doddle compared to strapping steel.
So might hold out for more Royal mail work at least for the time being.
The guy who did my induction at the steel place said often agency drivers say they are not coming back after their first shift it was too scary or stressful! And my agency said they have a lot of drivers who won’t do that job.

This is a picture of what I mean with the wood supports on the Truck, the 45 degree ones seem to like to pop out, if not perfectly strapped (and even then with the steel shifting could still pop off imho)

RM work will be a lot easier granted. However, every day of work you do on the steel will be worth ten days of doing RM work in terms of real experience.

So after looking at a picture of the wooden block it seems like it’s there to apply even pressure along the product that the strap would otherwise not be touching.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Looking at the chains, not too clear what the purpose is, but…
If you have a large piece of steel in the centre of the bed, and a smaller (lower) piece next to it, the the chain won’t touch the smaller piece. Appears that is the reason to use an angled piece of timber?
I am not sure I like that idea much. Why not use a “barrel hitch” arrangement or “choke” the load? Or two chains, one pulling to each side side?
I’m not saying what is happening there is bad, but I can’t see exactly what is going on.
Steel on steel is slippery stuff, and wood is good to slip between layers bundles etc.

Franglais:
Looking at the chains, not too clear what the purpose is, but…
If you have a large piece of steel in the centre of the bed, and a smaller (lower) piece next to it, the the chain won’t touch the smaller piece. Appears that is the reason to use an angled piece of timber?
I am not sure I like that idea much. Why not use a “barrel hitch” arrangement or “choke” the load? Or two chains, one pulling to each side side?
I’m not saying what is happening there is bad, but I can’t see exactly what is going on.
Steel on steel is slippery stuff, and wood is good to slip between layers bundles etc.

Yes I guess this is the purpose, the Strap isn’t going to be applying any pressure to the smaller bits on the side, so the angled wood is doing this. Not sure how you do the other things you mentioned but I didn’t feel that comfortable with the angled bits and two popped out on me over the day. But I am a noob so I very may well not as strapped them as they should be (but the induction guy who strapped the first part to show me, his angled bit of wood came loose too) At least we have figured out the purpose of the angled wood.

One way is to attach chain to one side.
Run it all under the steel.
Take the free end back over the steel.
Under the attached chain.
Then back over the steel and attach and tighten.
You will then have a barrel-hitch, or will have “choked” the load.
The chain will be pulling in both sides as well as down. It will be pulling towards both sides equally, not trying to roll bundles over.

Not easy to explain in words.
I’ll try to put a picture or summat up later, unless someone else does first.

Franglais:
One way is to attach chain to one side.
Run it all under the steel.
Take the free end back over the steel.
Under the attached chain.
Then back over the steel and attach and tighten.
You will then have a barrel-hitch, or will have “choked” the load.
The chain will be pulling in both sides as well as down. It will be pulling towards both sides equally, not trying to roll bundles over.

Not easy to explain in words.
I’ll try to put a picture or summat up later, unless someone else does first.

Ah I think I get what you mean, wonder why they didn’t show me that, they were keen to use the wood, maybe as the steel slips and chains alone don’t give enough grip. Next time I go there i’ll ask around for more advice on strapping the loads down, want to be as safe as I possibly can.

Thought I would update this.

I passed the Royal Mail assessment which was ultimately fairly easy, as such I have driven for them at least 4 days a week but normally 5 for the last 5 weeks or so, the run up to christmas was very busy.

RM 7.5 ton work is pretty simple, with good working conditions, well maintained trucks and reasonable hours and expectations from management, and of course the pay is significantly more than other agency work. I have to say it’s rather spoiled me, the thought of going back to normal pay and 10-15 hour regular days isn’t very appealing :laughing:

The RM 7.5 tonners drive well and turn like cars, you can spin them around in very tight arcs and as you load Yorks (cages) on either a bay or with a tail lift loading and strapping is a very simple and straightforward affair.

Once you have learned where the delivery offices are and some of the non RM sites they pick up from you won’t need a Sat Nav again. The longest drive where I am is around an hour each way. The average is probably about 35 minutes overall.

You will do manual labour on 7.5 ton when there’s nothing to go out you are expected to help out loading artics and moving the yorks around the warehouse, but I actually liked having something different to do, mixes up the day. Some days you can do 18k steps or around 9 miles of walking. But I would rather do that I think than pallet work off lorries to stores.

They are very strict on driving time regulations, you are supposed to download your card twice a day and any infringement you have to have a debrief and sign it off (I have had two minors)

it feels like a normal job with hours that allow to have a life outside of driving.

Basically If you can get RM agency work go for it!

RM is easy work for good money. Stay on it as long as possible. Where are you based? Have they got any 17/18 tonners where you are, they pay a higher rate. Once on the class 1 & 2 you don’t do any other work except you own assisted loading. 7.5t drivers are under a different management system than the class 1 & 2 drivers.

dudevoid:

Paul

Be careful with the XGODY, there was a batch sold where the software was not correct for HGVs even though it was supposedly a HGV sat nav(i bought one, and followed the support they gave me through e mail but i gave up because it still wouldnt work right) In the end i had to copy the files from my old trucknav sat nav to the xgody to get it to work as a HGV sat nav(same software but older maps)