Driver CPC part 4 test: practical demonstration

I just passed this a few hours ago. With 100%. Ridiculous exam with yet more repetitive questions about where people might hide contraband on your lorry.
Dear DVSA, i’d like to get my CAT C = E, not become a customs official !
Anyway, it’s just another tick in the box. If anyone would like any hints etc, ask away.

At what point was the question repeated?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
At what point was the question repeated?

Hi Peter - first off - this wasn’t done at one of your testing centres.

I think there were five questions in total, and first two question scenarios for which the answers were exactly the same :

The scenario was, for each of the questions, a slight variation on “You are given a truck to drive, how can you be sure it’s not overloaded”, or “How can you ensure you don’t exceed the MGW”. The answers in each case were :

1: Check paperwork
2: Check VI plate
3: Check tyres for bulges
4: Take it to a weighbridge

I then had a question about taking a vehicle to Calais, and what checks i would do. External compartments, internal compartments, Check above and below the vehicle, check the fuel tank for drugs"

Then a question about driving on a long trip, what to check so i dont run out of fuel : Check instrument gauge, check diesel tank mountings and fittings, have a fuel card, and fill it up to the neck before leaving.

Then I had a question about “What are all the daily checks” one of which was looking for drugs.

So in summary, which i am sure is not news to the experienced amongst the forum members, the CPC tests are a load of nonsense. The case studies were ridiculously easy, i could have passed that without reading anything (maybe just heigt / weight restrictions would have got me) and the CPC practical test , it says on the DVSAA website you have to be able to tie a dolly rope, for example, when the instructor then tells me that DVSA say “Don’t test on ropes because straps are safer”

Anyway - rant over, I thought i would post because it may be helpful to others. Just take your time when answering, and if you are lucky the testing guy will prompt you if you have missed one.
I am frustrated by the hoops one has to jump through to drive a rigid, and then jump through more to driver an Artic, because quite frankly, asking me about my diet and to look out for marauders on my truck seems like a fantasy scenario at the moment.
I’m quite sure that contraband does get sneaked onto trucks, and i’m more than certain that illegal immigrants jump and hide on lorries, but I can;t see why those should be a requirement from DVSA for a driving test !

Brief answer cos I’m pushed for time.

Then I had a question about “What are all the daily checks” one of which was looking for drugs.

Drugs doesn’t come into this question.

if you are lucky the testing guy will prompt you if you have missed one.

They are trained to hint but not to give the answer!

I’m quite sure that contraband does get sneaked onto trucks, and i’m more than certain that illegal immigrants jump and hide on lorries, but I can;t see why those should be a requirement from DVSA for a driving test !

When you cop for the fines of £2000 per illegal immigrant + heaven only knows for contraband, you’ll realise the value of learning how to check!

After close to 50 years in the job, I believe Mod 4 has a value. Not that it’s perfect and couldn’t be improved, but certainly better than nothing. Which is what used to happen.

You may think the contraband bit is nothing. You have to be clued up on what to expect. As said above its you who will be clobbered with the fine should some one sneak in. I have seen people climbing out of caravans. If they had checked in the first place they would notice.

Fair comments, I see what you are both saying, but my point stands, these should not be part of a driving test, maybe as part of on the job training or something like that.
Can’t change the rules though, so at least it’s done now !

Not splitting hairs, but it isn’t part of the driving test at all. It’s part of the initial driver cpc which, as you know, is a separate event.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it done!

Peter Smythe:
Not splitting hairs, but it isn’t part of the driving test at all. It’s part of the initial driver cpc which, as you know, is a separate event.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it done!

Well, yes, i guess that is technically correct. I still feel like a lot of CPC is just common sense and a lot is very specific to the job you are doing. Why worry about illegals if you only ever drive from, say, Glasgow to Sheffield, for example.
CPC seems like just a stupid “qualification” that is, on the face of it, just a money spinner for training companies, and ultimately worthless to the driver.
My training session consisted of 1 morning / afternoon 11am until 3pm, the majority of the time which was spent asking 4 of us the same questions over and over in round robin fashion.
We spent about 15-20 minutes total learning how to secure loads, for example, and the rest of the time was spent listening to the trainer waffle on about his glory days as a motorcyclist.
£295 well spent ? I think not.
Unless you want to drive for a living of course !
And this was a reputable, national company who have been going for some time.

For my Mod 4 practical the examiner didn’t even get the strapping/rope rig out.

Class1postie:

That figures, from what I have seen so far It’s almost as if the training companies just pass people with the minimum effort !
The state of the training room i was in, we had to clean the desks with wet wipes before they started, and a smoke break was deemed mandatory.
Why do people in this industry feel like people are just filthy dirtmongers ! It was like time travelling to the 1980’s.

The state of the training room i was in, we had to clean the desks with wet wipes before they started, and a smoke break was deemed mandatory.

And at the risk of sounding boring, is just one of the reasons folks should go and look at what they are thinking of paying for. The training industry covers a huge spectrum of offerings. Any good school will be happy to show you around before you spend any money at all.

The only exception is to book on rock solid recommendation.

As always, buyer beware.

The demonstration trolley doesn’t feature on all tests. In fact, during Covid, it’s not being used at all.

Peter Smythe:

And at the risk of sounding boring, is just one of the reasons folks should go and look at what they are thinking of paying for. The training industry covers a huge spectrum of offerings. Any good school will be happy to show you around before you spend any money at all.

The only exception is to book on rock solid recommendation.

As always, buyer beware.

I think this is good advice, and if I had been nearer, I would have booked with you and your team Peter.