Brake Brothers

I started out with DBC (now gone) doing similar work.

20-30 drops a day usually schools, but also servicing factory / office canteens, public buildings, prisons, some butchers & corner shops etc. Also we had the contract for Cafe Nero shops and used to run 3x 18t to central London 3 days a week each doing 20-23 shops with a cage or two for each.

I was a relief driver so got to cover whoever was off so I was always having to navigate and find my way around.

It was a hard graft job, early morning starts and physical as often you’d have to pull cages some distance from where you could park or carry stuff upstairs. Then when you got back around 3pm or later you’d have to reload for tomorrow. We were paid on 48 hr weeks so if you knew the system you could get done in about 43hrs. If you got a couple of bad ones you’d have do loads of extra work for little money. They paid an overtime rate but only after you’d been on shift for more than 50 odd hours as they’d suddenly stop the breaks, then the o/t rate was your average hourly plus about 30p. The extra hour overtime would involve a lot of extra work to get.

As a new driver it was a job I said I’d never wanted, multi drop, central London and early starts. I did it for 9 months and left for a more interesting line of work, however it was the best thing really as I was always driving something different would have to route plan and it really sharpens up your skills learning how to manoeuvre a vehicle in and out of so many different places.

Ultimately when I wanted to move on I had a lot of experience and confidence that would have taken a lot longer to acquire if I’d landed the easy first job that I thought I’d wanted to get used to it.

It’ll be hard graft and not for everyone but I’d not rule it out as a foot in the door.