Brake Bros Grantham Depot

Anyone on here who drives for Brakes Bros.? I have been told its a good job and Grantham are going to be taking people on I have a hgv 1 but dont mind driving rigids etc. Any info would be great and a contact name number. Thankyou. Paul

i worked for them years ago at their thorpe depot, hated every second of it, i was on rigids at the time and it was all restaurant deliveries in central london, up and down stairs with anything from 25kg bags of flour to 6 packs of catering sized tins of beans. it was tough going but the money was decent. if you can get on the artics, think you would like it more.

BAXTER BOY:
Anyone on here who drives for Brakes Bros.? I have been told its a good job and Grantham are going to be taking people on I have a hgv 1 but dont mind driving rigids etc. Any info would be great and a contact name number. Thankyou. Paul

yes have done work for them but a few years ago,days on class one was doing services[or thats what i did],you did burtonwood west[when it was open],shop,hotel,forcourt etc,etc,then did same on east bound then shardlow east/west,fleet,membury etc etc,nights i did [as above], thorpe,yate etc,etc.class 2 only did one job witch was trunk to peterlee,change motors and back,as i say a few years ago so things may of changed,night trunk was easy,services,hotels,burger kings,hotels could be a pain untill you got into it.
know a few whove gone and been happy,otheres who hated it,one of those jobs you try to see whether you like or dont
n.b was doing it on agency,so no idea money,hours etc

Thanks for the replies so far. Was hoping somebody on here is on for them and had a contact. Maybe have a ride over there was speaking to one of their lads who pulls out of Bilsthorpe and he is on 7.5 Tonners and he says money is good and that Grantham are expanding and taking on . Somebody on here will know I bet.
Thanks so far. Paul

worked there on agency, avoid the “driver trainer” Russ, guy is the biggest [zb] ever.

Avoid working on the rigids or 7.5tonners unless you like to be treated like a slave, carrying bags and stuff up and down stairs and putting on customers shelves ? nothanks.

Artics are okay I guess, delivering to motorway services is a pain in the ■■■ so try not to do that if you can avoid it, best is the trunking to other depots with the deckers.

Thanks for all the info so far . But still not found out if they are taking on.■■

I work for them on a part time basis as and when required out of the Ripon depot which is a satellite depot of Grantham.

They treat me well - we do trunking runs - I work on days so we pick up products and them trunk them into Grantham where we reload and take the trailers to RIpon for the night men to run upto Glasgow.

They have provided me with complete uniform, 4 days of training and are now supplying my DCPC training - I get paid a flat rate for a day’s work which is more that the standard rate I could get on the agency. When I do training they still pay the flat rate regardless of how long the training takes - usually 4 - 8 hrs.

The trucks we use are all Axors 430’s not the best bus in the world but do the job OK - no air con though so gets a bit hot in the summer, all have trackers fitted.

They are really hot on H&S and maintenance we cannot leave Grantham with a bulb out etc but on the other hand they have a permenant crew of fitters on duty.

Staff shop and canteen as well at Grantham.

PM me for the money details if you want.

Pete

We’ve got some Ex Brakes boys and they haven’t got a good thing to say. It seems the rigid multidrop work should be avoided.

BAXTER BOY:
Thanks for all the info so far . But still not found out if they are taking on.■■

baxter theyve expanded the grantham depot,if you look as you pass on the A1 youll see all the new bays,there where the old car park was,theyve taken some of the old truck place next door as the new car-park,it said in the GRANTHAM GOURNAL that due to expanding depot they would be taking on more staff,i assume that meant drivers,i thought it said,november-ish time,bell them up.
i once filled in a online application form,for years every time they had vacancies the h.r dept wopuld contact me to go for interview,maybe a thought.
i some times go in there to tip,if i do this week ill ask for you

Thanks Ady that would be great if you do go in there you can pm me the details if you find anything out.
Thankyou. Paul B

Thread ressurection for anyone interested.

Grantham are taking on now. I’d apply but it’s a bit too far to travel.

Look on indeed.co.uk

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=25 … &from=serp

Darby Flyer:
Thread ressurection for anyone interested.

Grantham are taking on now. I’d apply but it’s a bit too far to travel.

Look on indeed.co.uk

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=25 … &from=serp

I was offerd a job there in feb when we were having redundancies,I’m not sure how the 10 p.h works but the actual wage they quoted me was 24,000 apx,for working both days of the w/ end,which was 9,000 less than I earnt on my previous p60 for working one day at the w/end :exclamation: :exclamation: ,just goes to show hourly rate isn’t everything :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,I turned it down and chap fully understood why.
But if the money had been similar I would of took it as it’s 5 mins from our house.

Worked for brakes in Tamworth for 3 years on rigids a normal day was between 30 &40 drops if you had 800 items to deliver they would be in 8 cages had to sort thro the cages to find the box you wanted then wheel everything to the kitchen or door they wanted.
If it was a small box could take ages to find and some were timed delivery.if you went back to the yard to early you were sent back out with someone elses stuff they couldnt fit on.many a time its been that full u were stepping over boxes carrying 15kg boxes of chips not ideal.
You had to collect cash from some drops and at xmas most I came back with was £9, 000 most ive seen is £15, 000 but its mostly the same places you go to and all the customers know how much cash you got so its not rocket science to work out if you did get done over

Jeff.

I must line up behind my esteemed fellows here.

I’ve been into Tamworth, Reading, Corby (pauleys), Aylesford, Thorpe, & Thetford.
What I’ve experienced there suggests that Trunking is the dogs, especially on nights, whilst rigid driving on days (ie all of it) is the pits, delivering to pubs, harvesters, schools, etc. I have done both rigid and C+E trunks, and can state that the other remarks made by other posters are pretty accurate as to the “need to be fit” to run up all those stairs with crates under your arm, and the like. It has to be said that as a long time night trunker, I am of course biased towards trunk runs anyways. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: