Brakes bros interview!

:smiley: oh well after that chat further down about 3663 i went into a different agency and instantly got an interview on thursday with brakes! i know they are like 3663 similar but as i am a part time agency driver for the last year, this could be my opening i know jad24369 said he is leaving there and it is hard work but it cant be impossible, an is probably gonna be regular work so they say rather than a day here an a day there, any other info on this firm an their experiences would be welcome, the depot i am going to is in bishops stortford herts. cheers :sunglasses:

It can be very hard work mate. Our depot has roughly 90ish drivers and the turn over is high I’ve seen a lot of people come and go in the last 15 months :slight_smile:. Do you know what type of work you will be doing as Depots vary. Ours deals with frozen and chilled food but doesn’t do dry goods. Also there are 2 different types of class2 job. One being the Broadline which is anywhere from 20 to 30+ drops a day depending on area. The other is logistics which do less drops but more volume. If you have anything you want to know mate just ask and ill try and answer as best i can. Also beware of going through third party agencys or so called recruiting agencies. Brakes use one called Trs and you get paid a flat amount for a 48 hour week regardless of how many hours you actually do. One of the reasons i think they have a high turnover of drivers. Its not all bad but its best to go in with your eyes open. If you can get employed direct by Brakes it will be better for you as you will be paid by the hour.

mmmm i see, i was told it was 21k plus bonus? but i see what you mean, they maybe takin a big cut? i am due to go via the agency on thursday, but somebody told me there was a sign outside asking for class 2 immediate start? maybe this would be a better option? i may go in the morning, i dont fancy 21k for a 48hour week when i know i could earn more, i am sure it runs chilled stuff but may do other stuff. i think i will go there in the morning and not say i am due thursday from the agency? a bit of a dirty move but thats business? do they all use the same trucks or different makes? :sunglasses:

Our depot is 22.5k basic +ot on Broadline and Logistics is slightly more but they has a different work pattern to us. Try asking in reception for an application form. Fill it in and wait for a response. A lot of people get in that way and it would definately benefit you if you can.

donpablo,
i do agency work, 90% of my time is with Brakes. :astonished:

They appear to have a huge varity in pay standards depending on days / nights, and the location of the base depot :wink:

Chatting to the permanent drivers they do a quick turn around (mainly from what ive seen and heard )is due to hours done and pay, overtime is done on a yearly basis! :unamused:

They do have a friendly company though and all the depots ive visited from Bristol to Tamworth etc :wink:

go in and chat to the drivers there,

Eddy

Oh IMOH you are out of the fat into the fryer mate in Brakes they are the cutdown version of 3663. I have done quite a bit of agency for them and it got to the point I was dreading the phone ringing with a job for brakes. There kit is pants the drops can be crappy subway etc shopping malls bus lanes. pedestrianised areas so if you are late to the drop you get some snotty warden telling you to move. and its almost certain that this drop you need to get off is massive …so you have to work round it by going to other drops out of sequance… yeah the pay is ok but they have to pay that to get drivers. Staff turnover is high and that as you can see above others have told you the same thing,its high for a reason. It is however a good way in at the bottom … put it this way you will learn multi drop at grass roots and nothing else will faze you.

Good luck