A Bit Stuck, Really Appreciate Any Help Or Advice

Hi, Passed my Class 2 in Dec on my bday and am now 36 with Ian Markwick from Newton near Bingham, I have passed my theory, cpc and have a taco card just wanting to start and get going,

Have been in and currently in I.T for around 20 years now wanting a change, My dads drove for stobarts since 1989 and grew up with them and the interest in trucks etc,

Problem i have is finding any work, Ideally i would like to do trunking or distribution centres etc, Wanting to do days so not nights out,

I live in Grantham and just not sure what to do really as most jobs are 15-20 multi-drop work on class 2 which wouldn’t be ideal to start with but my goal is class 1,
Tried a couple of recruitment companys but dont seem to be getting anywhere, spoke to Turners Soham today about what they do etc and going through the class 1 training and taking you on etc but just unsure what to do,
The sort of work i would like to do obviously seems to be on class 1 rather then class 2 so stuck now whether to just go for it and try class 1 or try and get some work i would like to do first in class 2 as i really need experience,

If anyone could suggest anything local to me or anyone worth trying to see if would take a new class 2 driver on or if anyone just recommends going for class 1 and miss out the class 2 just really stuck,

Was tempted with stobarts training as maybe that again would be where i would like to end up but they have now stopped the driving school / training for both class 2 and 1 and have to go get your class 1 license before going to them,

Really just after anyone local to me that might think of a company worth a call or asking that may look after me a bit to start with and take me on, i did see peter smyth training has an open day coming up also which seems to be a popular place for training

Thanks A lot

Chris

You aren’t going to find trunking work on class 2, with a few very, very rare exceptions it just doesn’t exist. If people want stuff moving from point A to point B, they will use an artic because they can move a lot more stuff per trip.
Even if you get your class 1, you will probably still struggle to get day trunking work, especially without nights out. Work like this is usually highly sought after, so companies know they can have their pick of drivers, so will tend to go for those with more experience.
Personally, I think you should go for your class 1, but even still, expect to be doing 3-10 drops a day instead of one hitters.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Go for class one.
I went straight from class 2.
Surprising number of firms will take new passes.
Im with DHL… they put me out with experienced drivers for 2 weeks.
Going solo IS daunting…but you learn most quickly on your own [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Didn’t know Stobart had binned the driving school.
I passed with them and was offered a job 3 years ago…but the money was dire.

Monkey241:
Didn’t know Stobart had binned the driving school.
I passed with them and was offered a job 3 years ago…but the money was dire.

Even Scania have closed their training schools.

cknowles1983:
most jobs are 15-20 multi-drop work on class 2 which wouldn’t be ideal to start

On the flip side you get an accelerated learning experience, plenty of route planning and manoeuvring to sharpen you up. With one or two drops a day you just don’t get the intensity, I set out to avoid doing multi drop and London when I started but a first job collapsed at the 11th hour so took a temp to perm agency job delivering to school kitches, cafes, prisons etc. Also got me involved with central London, although it was’t a job I particularly enjoyed that 9 months was probably the best thing I could have done

cknowles1983:

I live in Grantham and just not sure what to do really as most jobs are 15-20 multi-drop work on class 2 which wouldn’t be ideal to start with but my goal is class 1,

Chris

Grantham - well you’ve got lots of choice.

Brakes certainly take new passes Class 2 - go to their gatehouse and get an application form. I’ve worked for them on agency. Give good initial training. Problem for me was that once you’ve worked for the Eclipse agency you will find it hard to get a permanent job.

Drive round the Grantham industrial estates and knock on doors.