Driving licence needs endorsed

I got had by a speeding camera one morning a few weeks ago while in my lorry. Anyway to cut a long story short, I’ve got a £100 fine and 3 points… ■■■■■■■■ [emoji23]

So I have to send my license off to Loughborough apparently. Can I still drive the wagon without my driving licence?

I carry my CPC card, digi card and ADR cards by law but unsure if the driving licence is actually a requirement.

Cheers as always chaps

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yes you can carry on driving HGVs while you wait for your licence to be returned.

There’s no requirement in the UK to carry your licence insurance or MOT certificate with you, if you get stopped by the police they can give you a producer which will give you 7 days to produce your documents at a police station of your choice.

tachograph:
Yes you can carry on driving HGVs while you wait for your licence to be returned.

There’s no requirement in the UK to carry your licence insurance or MOT certificate with you, if you get stopped by the police they can give you a producer which will give you 7 days to produce your documents at a police station of your choice.

Ok I thought that was the case. Thanks

But what if I don’t get my licence back within the 7 days?

If you should get a producer before your licence is returned take any other documents they want and explain that you’re waiting for your licence to be returned from DVLA.

they’ll tell you to take it in when it’s returned.

Sent from my mobile.

oldwelshdude:
I got had by a speeding camera one morning a few weeks ago while in my lorry. Anyway to cut a long story short, I’ve got a £100 fine and 3 points… ■■■■■■■■ [emoji23]

So I have to send my license off to Loughborough apparently. Can I still drive the wagon without my driving licence?

I carry my CPC card, digi card and ADR cards by law but unsure if the driving licence is actually a requirement.

Cheers as always chaps

Hi. Not saying that the letter you have got is wrong, but are you sure that it’s real. DVLA as far as I know, don’t have any regional offices anymore and everything has to go to Swansea, and also you don’t send your licence off to be endorsed anymore as it is all done electronically since they got rid of paper licences.

Sent using smoke signals

tachograph:
If you should get a producer before your licence is returned take any other documents they want and explain that you’re waiting for your licence to be returned from DVLA.

they’ll tell you to take it in when it’s returned.

Sent from my mobile.

Ok that sounds like great advice

lizard:

oldwelshdude:

Cheers as always chaps

Hi. Not saying that the letter you have got is wrong, but are you sure that it’s real. DVLA as far as I know, don’t have any regional offices anymore and everything has to go to Swansea, and also you don’t send your licence off to be endorsed anymore as it is all done electronically since they got rid of paper licences.

Sent using smoke signals

I am sure it is genuine. My company got the initial letter and told them I was driving.

It says:

" following payment you must immediately send your driving licence and this form duly completed to her majestys courts and tribunals service, address below"

The fixed penalty office is in Loughborough.

I would have thought it was all done without sending the licence now but apparently not. Guess they need proof or something■■?

oldwelshdude:

lizard:

oldwelshdude:

Cheers as always chaps

Sent using smoke signals

I am sure it is genuine. My company got the initial letter and told them I was driving.

It says:

" following payment you must immediately send your driving licence and this form duly completed to her majestys courts and tribunals service, address below"

I would have thought it was all done without sending the licence now but apparently not. Guess they need proof or something■■?

Oh. Ok. It just didn’t seem right to me when you said you had to send licence off. Sorry to here you got caught. Hope it doesn’t affect your job.

Sent using smoke signals

lizard:

oldwelshdude:

lizard:

oldwelshdude:

Cheers as always chaps

Sent using smoke signals

It says:

Oh. Ok. It just didn’t seem right to me when you said you had to send licence off. Sorry to here you got caught. Hope it doesn’t affect your job.

Sent using smoke signals

No it will be ok. My licence is clean apart from this. Crafty camera it was lol

You can check on line now to see if point have been added think they still use the standard letter they still have & not changed any wording

If in doubt you can phone DVLA

animal:
You can check on line now to see if point have been added think they still use the standard letter they still have & not changed any wording

If in doubt you can phone DVLA

Hmm ok. I will do that cheers

Only thing is, if you’re driving ADR loads, I’m pretty certain you need to have your licence or at least official form of ID with you while driving.

Cant check this time of night as book in car, but if Diesel Dave is around he might be able to clarify…or tell me I’m miss remembering another bit of the ADR course.

Normal driving doesn’t require it. Am surprised the courts cant check this stuff online. I would make a copy of it, even a photo incase they lose it.

trevHCS:
Only thing is, if you’re driving ADR loads, I’m pretty certain you need to have your licence or at least official form of ID with you while driving.

Cant check this time of night as book in car, but if Diesel Dave is around he might be able to clarify…or tell me I’m miss remembering another bit of the ADR course.

Hi trevHCS,

tachograph has already dealt with the driving licence question, so I’ll clarify the ADR query. :smiley:

For as long as I can remember, and up until October 2012, all ADR licences were on paper and issued by DVLA, Swansea. DVLA also took care of the record keeping.

ADR has a requirement that when a driver is carrying a fully regulated load, the driver must have some form of photographic ID on board to back up the paper ADR licence.

NOTE:
‘Fully regulated’ means

• any amount of any dangerous goods carried in a tanker or tank-container [including empty unclean]
  • any amount of any dangerous goods carried in a tipper or skip ( = ‘in bulk’) [including empty unclean]
  • packaged dangerous goods carried in an amount exceeding the relevant ADR Transport Category for those dangerous goods (0, 20, 333, 1,000) and NOT packaged as LQs or EQs.

:bulb: I reckon that the above is the thing that you have correctly remembered. :smiley:

=======================

After October 2012, SQA took over the issuing of ADR licences and the record keeping that goes with it.
At that point, the ADR licence became a photocard, so those who had qualified after October 2012 no longer needed to carry a form of photo ID because the ‘new’ ADR card took care of showing the driver’s entitlements AND the need for photo ID all on the once card. This would include the OP.

=======================

ADR (paper) licences issued by DVLA remained valid during the changeover and until renewal was required, so those drivers still needed to carry their photo ID.

A Swansea issued ADR paper licence cannot possibly be valid now since a driver with full entitlement refreshing the week before the changeover in 2012 would have had a theoretical maximum validity expiring late in 2017.

Ok so my ADR card would provide the photo ID requirements.

I think I will get in touch with my transport manager next week (working at a different depot at the moment in sunny England) for his take. I’ll contact the DVLA too.

I can carry my passport too I guess, as long as work and the DVLA are ok with me driving while my licence is away.

Seams odd in this technological times that I have to send my plastic card licence away in the first place though [emoji23]

oldwelshdude:
Ok so my ADR card would provide the ADR photo ID requirements if I’m carrying a load that is fully subject to ADR.

Now I’ve added the red bits, the quote is spot-on. :smiley:

Blame Trev for that!! :laughing: :wink:

I blame Trev too… :smiley:

Good to know how it works - did wonder if it would qualify but that’d be where I picked it up. Maybe there needs to be an ADR refresher every year.

Off to find birch branch, no not for me, for Oldwelshdude as he went over the speed limit. :confused: :wink:

I’ve emailed the DVLA for advise and my transport is looking into it too

Ok the DVLA told me it was nothing to do with them and to contact the office that I was going to send my licence too [emoji23]

Spoken to my office and they are happy for me to keep driving for them but to take a photocopy of the letter and my licence so I can prove where it is