Carry driving licence post Sept 10 - MYTH

There has been the odd rumour/myth going around that post Sept 10 this year, LGV drivers will need to carry their driving licence with them to show that they have grandfather rights for the new Driver CPC - this is not the case.

I’ve just spoken to VOSA on phone -

No need to carry driving licence if UK driver in UK as they have direct access to DVLA database and can tell if you are licenced, what date it was issued etc and whether or not you should have a DQC.
Same goes for the police.

same with car drivers to even to the point that the police know if you are insured, mot’ed and taxed

Aye well the muppet police pulled me over one night and after a pnc check they were trying to do me for driving a manual car because according to them I was an auto only licence holder. Blundering idiots. I had to get my licence and show them it was a full licence for car and auto for bus (this was a good few years ago pre hgv time). Bloody beat bobbies aint got a clue. Reason for pulling me over? Going down a 25% in 2nd gear at 4,000rpm…said I was driving like a idiot. So in my opinion it saves a lot of hassle if you just keep your licence with you.

Steve

Actually…

The law still requires you to carry ALL documentation - registration, insurance, MOT and driving licence - in the vehicle ( whether car, lorry, coach or motorbike) at all times when in use to produce for inspection by a Police Officer upon request. Its an outdated one that’s never been recinded. HORT1 was introduced because the Police recognised that it wasn’t really practical to do this, especially with theft from vehicles.

Conor:
Actually…

The law still requires you to carry ALL documentation - registration, insurance, MOT and driving licence - in the vehicle ( whether car, lorry, coach or motorbike) at all times when in use to produce for inspection by a Police Officer upon request. Its an outdated one that’s never been recinded. HORT1 was introduced because the Police recognised that it wasn’t really practical to do this, especially with theft from vehicles.

I agree - it was some sort of legal 7 day ‘grace period’ that is now given to produce at a convenient police station

Got a handout at work and it says a driving license for i.d. will help avoid a delay.

In other words if you dont have it and you dont stand to attention the dvla checks will take about a fortnight.

I always have the photocard in my wallet and the counterpart has been in my work bag with my tachos for the last nine months.

Anytime ive been pulled by them they are only interested in some form of ID, so they can check who you are.

Been pulled by VOSA, the traffics etc… given them my digital tachograph, and went to get my driving licence and they had said no its ok we can get all the details since you have shown us ID with your photograph and address on it.

I carry my licence with my anyways since i,m agency and never know when the company will want to do a licence check, so saves hassles. Even though i hate carrying the paper bit about because it gets worn and turns really scabby.

I was under the impression that we had to carry both bits all the time.But like Kenny says the paper bit gets really tatty the last one was held together with selotape. I’m tempted to leave the new one at home.

ROG:

Conor:
Actually…

I agree - it was some sort of legal 7 day ‘grace period’ that is now given to produce at a convenient police station

Someone i worked with was stoped for speeding, they were also given a HORT1, the guy went into his local police station with all documents, the traffic officer was forwarded the details that the document had been checked but misplaced or lost the confirmation. So ended up getting charged with failing to produce the documents.

Anyways it ended up in court, and the judge and lawyers were wanting to know why the driver had been given a HORT1 in the first place what was the reason behind it since the police officer checked and confirmed at the time that the vehicle was legal, had insurance, MOT, road tax and the driver a licence.

The police do have a right to give you one, but does seem a pointless excercise these days when they get all the details almost instantly anyway if your pulled in your car. They can even see cautions, past offences which have been spent and all kinds of other details so does seem a waste of time to demand you produce the documents at a police station.

Kenny1975:
does seem a pointless excercise these days when they get all the details almost instantly anyway if your pulled in your car. They can even see cautions, past offences which have been spent and all kinds of other details so does seem a waste of time to demand you produce the documents at a police station.

The law has not yet caught up with technology - maybe one day…