To carry or Not to Carry?

To Carry or Not to Carry?

I recentley did the Driver CPC “training” and was told by the instructors that “You MUST carry your DRIVING licence at ALL times that you are driving professionally”

I had never seen this in writing before so I asked them exactly where this was written down. They couldn’t show me but told me to ask VOSA.

So, I emailed VOSA from their web site:
I hope that you can answer my simple question.
I hold a licence which includes groups C & D. I have the new plastic card
licence and paper counterpart.
Do I need to carry this driving licence with me every time I am driving a
vehicle, i.e. is this a requirement of the law?
I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere.

and this is the reply I got:

Thank you for your email enquiry …concerning the above.
Unfortunately VOSA do not handle enquiries of this type.
You will need to address your enquiry to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Pass the buck or what. So If I get pulled by VOSA and they ask for the licence I will inform them to contact DVLA.

The list of things we MUST carry is growing and I’m sure they will just love to find a driver without his digi tach card or Driver CPC and prosecute. An easy case for all involved.

SBD

According to The Road Traffic Act 1988 you are guilty of an offence if you cannot produce your licence when asked by an authorized person, police officer for example.

However it is a defence if you produce it within 7 days, counting from the day after the request, at the police station you nominated at the time of the request.

There is no mention in the act of different requirements for LGV licence holders that I can see.

somerset bus driver:
so I asked them exactly where this was written down. They couldn’t show me but told me to ask VOSA.

Any instructor worth their salt should be able to back up everything they are teaching with documented evidence. The fact they couldn’t, coupled with the fact they pointed you to the wrong organisation to answer your query, would make me question a lot of what they taught you on the course.

I’ve always got mine on me. Takes up no room in my wallet, both the card and paper part. Saves on the inconvenience of having to report to the cop shop within 7 days if asked to produce it.

rubbish you dont ahve to carry it as stated you are given 7 days to produce it to any police staion of your choice, only thing you have to carry if you have one is your adr licence if carrying haz cargos!!! and ur digi card if got one aswell

when you get pulled they can check all your licence stuff on the computer via their walkie talkie any way

An interesting point about my Driver CPC card is that ALL the expiry dates on it read Sep 2019 :smiley: This means that I will be able to drive PSVs for 6 years after the acquired rights end which is different to what the government blurb says on all their web sites.
I wonder if they made a mistake with mine or is this standard for some one with C and D ?

The Driver CPC training is JUST a tax. I believe that after the five years acquired rights grace end, then the next five years training will become harder with exams that will require a pass to keep your licence.

The number of training companies bragging in the PSV trade press about how much they can make out of the whole farce is nothing short of disgracefull. Course fees are currently £100 a day per person… The trade press run the adverts because its money for them…a truly vicious circle. At least I did notice a genuine antiness in the Truck press about it.

SBD

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome somerset bus driver :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

somerset bus driver:
An interesting point about my Driver CPC card is that ALL the expiry dates on it read Sep 2019 :smiley: This means that I will be able to drive PSVs for 6 years after the acquired rights end which is different to what the government blurb says on all their web sites.
I wonder if they made a mistake with mine or is this standard for some one with C and D ?

No mistake :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Due to the ■■■■ up of starting the D one year earlier than C, they have decided to do away with having seperate expiry dates on the DQC so have made the expiry dates for C, D & the actual card all the same.

To check this info out then feel free to contact the Driver cpc hotline number in my signature below

somerset bus driver:
To Carry or Not to Carry?

I recentley did the Driver CPC “training” and was told by the instructors that “You MUST carry your DRIVING licence at ALL times that you are driving professionally”

Not again !!! - another myth or wrong info told to those attending a driver cpc course by an uninformed trainer/instructor - how many more…

ANOTHER EXAMPLE :unamused:

i always carry mine. its not as if it affects yer payload

diggertony:

No, but having to carry the paper part as well rather defeats the point of bringing out a plastic card! Yet anotther government agency ■■■■ up.

I was always told by old timers never to show your driving licence to the cops roadside…but I can’t remember why now!!! :unamused:

ROG:
. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome somerset bus driver :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
No mistake :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Due to the ■■■■ up of starting the D one year earlier than C, they have decided to do away with having seperate expiry dates on the DQC so have made the expiry dates for C, D & the actual card all the same.

To check this info out then feel free to contact the Driver cpc hotline number in my signature below

But why isn’t this info clearly mentioned on their web sites?!

somerset bus driver:

Because they changed their minds from the original way of doing it and they have not updated that info - If I remember, I’ll call them next week and point it out - a link to the incorrect info would be useful

somerset bus driver:
I was always told by old timers never to show your driving licence to the cops roadside…but I can’t remember why now!!! :unamused:

Me too, and never to let them remove the paper part from the plastic wallet as seeing endorsements could influence their decision to summons you. :question: :question: :question:

I suppose if you got a vindictive zb and gave him some slavver

ROG:

somerset bus driver:

Because they changed their minds from the original way of doing it and they have not updated that info - If I remember, I’ll call them next week and point it out - a link to the incorrect info would be useful

with all due respects…

We shouldn’t have to be telling a government department how to do their job!! They are paid thousands of £££

It beggars belief that they can’t even get their own facts and web sites AND the leaflet that they sent out with the card correct!!! :laughing:

Can you post a link to where this info is please

Wheel Nut:

somerset bus driver:

Me too, and never to let them remove the paper part from the plastic wallet as seeing endorsements could influence their decision to summons you. :question: :question: :question:

I suppose if you got a vindictive zb and gave him some slavver

Ah yes, thanks Wheel Nut… you jogged my memory! It was back in 1984 and I was driving a MAN non HGV flat bed when the regular driver told me those words of wisdom. By the time you took your docs to the cop shop it was too late for them to change their minds once they saw what may have been on your licence!!

Now its all on blooming computer…but still they get it wrong, thats progress for you :laughing:

diggertony:

But choosing to always carry it is not the same as having to carry it.

i only have paper one…so it is less to carry…tell you something though people dont half kick up a stink.
its yer liscence ffs.just put it in yer bag. its no big deal. it seems every other post ends up being a vosa kicking event…am sure they are there for our benefit…now go put yer liscence in yer bag and relax.

I have now been given info to where the info is and can see that only the single catagory entitlement is listed (correctly)
The dual PCV & LGV is not mentioned so therefore the info is not wrong - just a case of that senario not being mentioned

diggertony:
i only have paper one…so it is less to carry…tell you something though people dont half kick up a stink.
its yer liscence ffs.just put it in yer bag. its no big deal. it seems every other post ends up being a vosa kicking event…am sure they are there for our benefit…now go put yer liscence in yer bag and relax.

If you only have the paper driving licence, then your Driver CPC card will cost you £25, if you require one.

Holders of the plastic driving licence will receive their Driver CPC card free (with the photo and signature from the on line system) when your trainer uploads your 35 hours attendance of the “course”.

£25 ok